Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 60 El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A. McGovern, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Recently purchased this 60 from Arizona, brought back to Cali. She needs alot of love! Does anybody know where I may find some patch panels for the car? (Ie; quarter, wheel well, rockers). I look forward to learning tips and tricks on how to go about bringing this beauty back to life from those more wise than I.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    El59Camino likes this.
  2. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

3. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

You got youreself a big project there! I love all the 59 or 60 Chevys but the El Camino's and wagons are my favorites, good luck and keep us posted.

4. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Elcohaulic likes this.

5. Congratulations!!!!

Can't wait to see this one get underway. Keep us posted.

JH

6. hemifarris

hemifarris

Best of luck with your project. They produced less 60s than 59s. Just stick to it. As you'll see on Nad's and J.Fishbeck's threads, hard work and patience really pays off...........Mike

7. zarbtime

zarbtime

I ordered some rear lower 1/4 patch panels from one of the big suppliers, classic industrues I think?
    you have to order one for a 4 door/2 door they are about 4 inches too long right at the back (wagons and elcos body are just a little bit short,I think to make room for the tailgate to fold down over the bumper, the frame is the same length.), you will have to modify them a little bit.
    alot of the patches on a 59/60 will have to be hand made...

8. I love 60 El Caminos.. look forward to seeing the progress!

9. Toner283

Toner283

50 customcoupe likes this.
  10. Been hangin' with Nads during his project and it is not for the faint of heart. If you are not ready to commit to ALLOT of fab work, stop while you are ahead(and still have your hair.) Many a late night spent hand fabricating and slicing and dicing. So impressed with BOTH these projects. For the ultimate in inspiration, look for the Japanese built '59.
    Really hope you do resurrect this fine ride. Keep us posted. :)
    JT

11. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

damn we got some better cars than that in Jersey!

12. I can’t believe I have had this car for 8 years and haven’t been able to do anything to it. 3 years in the military, 2 young kids, 2 houses, a handful of fly by night jobs living paycheck to paycheck, a Chevy 3100 that commands most of my wrenching “free time” and I’m almost to the point where I can start work on this basket case. This year is what I hope to be the turning point for this car...truck...cruck? Once the all debt aside from the house is paid off and the 53 pickup is finished and shipped to my uncle in Ohio, I will dust this old girl off and start showing her the love she deserves. Here are a few photos I took this morning under the rv cover where she’s been parked the past 3 years. The Cali desert has been keeping the metal nice and dry. I have been dreaming of working on this car for so long. Nads and Jay Fishbecks threads give me the motivation and confidence to tackle what will ultimately be my longest and most challenging project. Wish me luck [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Tough job on a very deireable car. I'm assuming the W motor is a 348. If you think you had a lot of time tied up in the 3100 P/U, OH man, your really in for BIG project. Bill

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  14. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Being in California wouldn't a better car be a wiser choice? I mean , that car needs a ton of work. a ton.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  15. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

you got big balls ...good luck !

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Have you taken a good look at the frame? That poor trar, I mean cruck, is rusteeee. Nice looking rides though, no doubt.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  17. The W is a 348, and you’re right it will be a tough job. I have just over ten years in the 3100. About half that time was with the truck sitting at my parents while in the military or sitting there still because my first house didn’t have the room for it. I know this will be a huge undertaking

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  18. You may be right. But being in Cali, everyone wants an arm and a leg for these cars, neither of which I can afford. It does need a ton of work, believe me, I second guess whether I’d be able to handle it, or if it’s the right choice. But I’ve had it almost a decade already and getting rid of it now almost seems like a waste. Even though I haven’t done anything yet

Elcohaulic, Squablow and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  19. Thanks. I’ll need it

20. I haven’t crawled underneath and inspected it with a fine tooth comb if that’s what you mean. I have looked so far as to see the damage caused by someone cutting holes for hydros but that’s about it.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

What I meant was whether or not you had looked at it for rust issues, at the suspension attachment points and places where dirt, mud, and water could have laid, and places where flanges may overlap. Believe me, I want nothing more than for you to succeed in getting this together to your satisfaction, you will love driving it, completely finished or not.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  22. No sweat, I'll definitely do that once I have time to dive into the project. I cant wait to start and once I have it to a point where its running and I can drive it, I won't waste a single minute doing just that! There is only 1 first gen Elco in my town that I know of. It's a 59 that a high school security guard drives as his daily.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  23. Slopok

Slopok

Chicago cars aren't even that bad, good thing you're still young!

24. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

That's going to be a great looking car, I have always loved the '60 Chevy, having owned an Impala 2-door hardtop with 348, 4-speed in the past. Good luck with your '60 and please keep us posted as you go along with it. And post lots of pictures for us. ...Ray. Do you have all of the trim pieces ?

25. It was definitely neglected. That's for sure.

26. I can see the potential in it. Cant speak for my wife on that, haha. I would have loved to have a 2 door 60 with a 348 and 4 speed. I'll make sure I take lots of pictures. Plans are to start the build early next year. Have a few things to take care of and get out of the way this year.
    As for the trim. You can see on the first page of this thread what was on the car when I bought it. I'd say a solid 95% of the trim is there.

50 customcoupe likes this.
  27. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I want to suggest that you get the doors adjusted and fitting where you want them, and weld some braces inside before you cut the floor out. That way, everything should work when it goes back together. You may want to do that with the bed area also. As far as other ElCamino's go, I haven't seen a '59 or a '60 in person in years.

28. Good advice, I appreciate that. Any specific location to weld the braces? I'm thinking x-bracing inside the cab, same for the bed? Recommendations for material size when bracing? I'll probably do a full floor pan instead of sections since the majority of the floor is gone and it may be easier to do one large section that try to do several smaller sections. I love fact that they're not seen, gives me that much more motivation to get this car back on the road.

29. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

1 inch square tube works well. Round or square will work well, do not use strap as it can flex a ton. You may find it easiest to fab a framework and attach the floor panels to that. In the long run, it is much easier to do than to repair a pile of rusty floor supports.

30. Andy

Andy

I have a rebuilt 60 rolling chassis I would like to sell. There is a 60 wagon available near me as well.