Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage State of the hobby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KevKo, Jan 22, 2019.

1. GuyW

GuyW

So long as low rider cars and RR die out, I'm good with whatever else happens...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  2. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

over here the next generation is looking in the mirror at them selves,their hair, real cars are not a concern. and the boys are holding hands.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If this is a problem for you, don't come to a real-world HAMB meet-up.

You might have a heart attack.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Sorry guys I like you. But not that much.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would say that if you are not willing or able to accept any and all people into our hobby, who express an interest in it, than you are more a threat to our hobby than any legislation.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lowriders are customs. They are not a thing for this board, per se, but there is no denying it.

Like it, or not, Lowriders are inextricably linked our history. Nobody says you have to like them, but attempts to minimize, or revise history will not reflect favorably on you.

Where I am, I see more Lowriders being built than I do see rods and customs. I see them out cruising, every Saturday night (when we are not having a hail storm), rain, or shine, by the DOZENS. This is far more than I can say for the rod and custom guys.

7. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

I’ll agree with you on the rat rods, but lowriders proper are a big part of the custom scene. My great great uncle used to build a lot of low riders up in Michigan, wayyy back before hydraulics, hella chrome/gold plating, and obnoxious “stance” took the place of properly built cars. Matter of fact, an old school low rider is the direction I want to take my Thunderbird eventually once she’s running and up here in Huntsville.

anthony myrick and gimpyshotrods like this.
  8. pitman

pitman

All...my...friends, :p ^^^

9. GuyW

GuyW

bullshit

Hombre likes this.
  10. Jeff Hammers

Jeff Hammers

A friend's yellow, electric powered 32 roadster graced the cover of hot rod magazine many years ago but I would prefer a mildly tuned 50's hemi myself. Where do these guys figure to get electricity anyway? The sun?

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, you're saying that it is perfectly fine to exclude people you don't approve of from out hobby? If so, why do YOU get to choose?

<OR>

You are saying that excluding people from our hobby is a perfectly safe thing to do, compared to legislation? If so, can you point out a few examples of detrimental legislation that has harmed your ability to own and enjoy a rod or custom?

You disputed my comment, now stand and deliver your explanation for doing so.

impala4speed and Moon50F3 like this.
  12. I wish there was a "super like" button!!!!
    My favorite song from that album.....
    Chappy

badvolvo likes this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

The only Low Riders I've seen in person were in the Petersen, or at the GNRS and LARS, they all looked like high maintenance rides . Barn Find and patina nerve hit that part of the hobby. Bob

Clay Belt likes this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not the trunk. Under the floor, between the frame rails.

Our batteries are about 2-1/2" tall, and would fit nicely under the floor of a Deuce, twice.

Our dowdy econo-car, with one of these batteries, can go 200 miles, and do 0-60 in 6.8 seconds.

By the time that gas is all gone, we will have way better than that.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You should leave Connecticut more often.
    16724490029_79d044f7b9_b.jpg
    This is any given nice weekend day here. All driven, all of the time.
    13807643253_621c8023a2_b.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Clay Belt likes this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

I guess the Low Riders that come to my mind are true show cars with paint jobs that just have to be seen to be believed, not that there is anything wrong with the above daily drivers. Bob

17. squirrel

squirrel

Did you ever watch "Up In Smoke"? That 64 Chevy is a typical lowrider like I saw all time in the late 70s in Tucson.

Sent from my Trimline

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  18. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

The Love Machine......

Pat

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yippy-Ki-Yay muthas. What's the population now? That's how many more newbs? Fuck, my head hurts. Just adopt the Alfred E Newman philosphy and enjoy your games, whatever stripe they may be. Thanks for playing...

20. Hombre

Hombre

Everything I get interested in is going away, if you listen to the nay sayers. This very conversation about the sport dying is going on right now in many, many sports. As an example I compete in shooting competitions, I shoot a sport called F-Class and for the most part it is shot at 1,000 yds. At every shoot the conversation is about the sport dying. That there are not enough young folks getting into the sport, and without them it will die within the next 6 months to a year. Never mind the fact that they have been saying that for the last 10 years.

The shooting sports very much like Hot Rods is not cheap. There may have been a time when it was less expensive,. but that is really not true when you adjust for the times and inflation and the fact that stuff just cost more today than in the past. In reality it cost pretty much the same percentage wise. My match rifle cost $5,000 and that is without optics, hell the scope I use is $2,500 add to that the reloading equipment and the huge amounts of time it takes to just prepare for the reloading, and you need to be damn serious about doing this to get involved, and have the time. Young folks are busy living life. That is true wither its cars or guns. So these sports ( if you will) take huge amounts of time and money so in turn most of the people doing them are like myself OLD.

I think Hot Rodding is going to be just fine. Oh there are going to be some bumps in the road that's for sure. But in the end the folks with the desire to own a old Hot Rod are not going to be satisfied with the newest Honda, or Toyota no matter how tech they become.

If you stop and think about it you have to want to do this old car thing and I mean really want to do it. The weeds out a lot of wanna be's and to my way of thinking that is a good thing. I also believe that traditional cars are always going to be with us, and with us like they are. I see no reason to re-define "Traditional" and try and modernize what traditional was or is or is going to be. To me the term traditional really only means one thing. Try and change that and you loose what it was.

Squablow likes this.
  21. F&J

F&J

I'm betting you won't give it up even if you are the last one showing up at a shoot. That is the way I feel about old hotrods and customs.

Clay Belt likes this.
  22. I’ve said it before, I see lots of young students come through our apprenticeship system who have a huge interest in hot rods, I’m not worried about the state of our hobby at all.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. We have almost 700 students visit our tech school every day
    Close to 300 are in collision, automotive, welding, electrical and diesel
    Stop complaining or get involved
    Drive your cars more or stut up

Thread axed in 10 9 8 7.......

24. 327Eric

327Eric

What Facet of the Hobby are you interested in? There is more to life than the HAMB. We are a small part in Comparison.I can tell you nothing will kill the hobby more than a bunch of Grumps yelling at kids to "get of my lawn". I have seen numerous threads here where a young or uninitiated has asked a question about their 67 Nova, 73 truck, or some other off topic Henway. Everbody gets their panties in a bunch about the off topic content, and chase the newby off. The Tech is largely the same, be it about an intake manifold, carburetor, distributor etc. (an LS swap is off topic, but beefing the rear end may not be) Instead, if you remind the person of the rules, tell them to restate the post to a relevant year or engine, there are a ton of people, with knowledge who can help, and maybe eventualy steer a newby to this Niche of the hobby. Ive been playing with cars since I was a kid. I've been run off by Grumpy old men, and taken under others wings. I am still building, and playing with cars, that now are Hamb Friendly, but am getting a musclecar urge again. I have a 4x4, but its just another facet of my interest. I have played with Hemis and Rats, tailfins, fat fenders, 4x4s, white trash camaros and chargers, art Deco elegance, street rod smoothness and hot rod crudeness,and, British, German and Italians, all at one point in my life.

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very thankfully, your definition of Lowrider is your own, and not that of the culture that originated them, and continues to build them.