Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Unsafe Vintage Wheels?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Nicholas Coe, Feb 8, 2019.

1. A friend of mine told me that vintage wheels like my original Keystone's may be unsafe for road use. He said these original wheels were made from 2 different kinds of metals. He said with age these wheels become brittle and the metal can separate, this making the wheels deadly. I see no issues and no rust on my borrowed set of vintage Keystone wheels. Have y'all heard this before? Here's on wheel before cleaning. IMG_3501.jpeg IMG_20190203_195959.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

If you have four (4) of them, then yes, they are definitely unsafe, and you should send them to me, for proper disposal. It's what I do, cuz that's the kind of guy I am. Thank me later.

Muttley, Willy_P, '51 Norm and 23 others like this.
  3. rusty valley

rusty valley

i have never heard of any falling apart, however you do have two different metals in the construction so electrolysis could certainly be happening out of sight

4. Thank you! I can't wait to hear more stories.

Nick

Deuces likes this.

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

If that's true than I have a lot of deadly Cragar's...................................

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

It's been mentioned on the Hamb, not sure if it was a particular brand or all two piece alum/steel. Search..

Deuces and Nicholas Coe like this.
  7. I imagine it had been mentioned before. I looked but couldn't find anything.

8. F&J

F&J

I read on the internet that the earth is flat. There are too many tall trees here for me to get a good look, so I'm not convinced yet

9. RDR

RDR

I suppose anything is possible...Never have heard any horror stories about certain wheels.
    Do remember putting the first set of radials on a 66 Pontiac and having the tires go flat in the driveway because the steel wheels cracked at the welds. Ended up buying a set of aftermarket alum hurricanes, popular at the time. The steel wheels on later cars equipped with radials were made with heavier gauge metal. One thing I do know about wheels is they go around and around...

Deuces likes this.
  10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

From

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/supremes-and-cheater-slicks.759973/#post-8433212

Deuces and Nicholas Coe like this.
  11. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

if you look on the back you will see there is a steel band cast into the center spoke and that is where it is welded. i have them on my trailer, my race car and tow car. never had a problem going on 30 years. maybe that's just me.

Deuces, Just Gary, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  12. Thank you! I will look at mine.

Deuces likes this.
  13. rudestude

rudestude

I broke the center's out of two of my new Cragers on my 68 Olds 442 ,they were only on the car for two weeks, but I did put the car off the road at about 90mph ,after loosing the brakes, just missing a phone pole but hit a city limit street sign ,side ways , then through the front yard of a house that had been torn down except for the the front porch and foundation...and was all concrete...hit the porch ..car flipped on its nose and made a couple of spins then barrel rolled once or twice as it went through the remaining flooring and foundation landing on its top in a thicket of trees in the back yard....the wheels had been replaced with rollers before pic was taken....I was 17 in high school my first crash and big ticket and to top it off my dad being a firefighter was first on the sean..not sure what was worse getting the ticket or getting my ass chewed by my dad..... 1549685897265~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am with you. It's good to get the first one out of the way.

15. Did the friend offer to get rid of those dangerous old wheels for you?

16. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

There were some really different manfactuting processes through the years , as in a learning experience I guess. I have seen a few 5 spoke MAG , look a likes , that had a narrow rim and 5 spoke center all attached to a steel rim . They did look very much like a 5 spoke MAG wheel . The ones I remember seeing where all trashed major corrosion between the two different metals . I live in the salt/rust belt with humidity is at near 90% or greater at some point daily . I saw these wheels with huge cracks , centers blown out , you name it . Crager or Keystone , I never saw on issue . I do know I saw more destroyed in the tire changing process than while driving .

Hombre, Deuces, pitman and 1 other person like this.
  17. I worked at a junkyard in Portland Oregon for 6 years in the 70s and I saw many Radir wheels with broken spokes. Not sure if the broken wheels caused the crash or if the crash caused the broken wheels. Just an observation.

Truck64, Deuces, Elcohaulic and 2 others like this.
  18. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Have had Cragars and Keystones for years, put them through hell and back, never any issues. Just saying...

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

20. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

I had a pair of Cragars break the centers out from the rims. It could have had something to do with me hitting a guard rail at about 50mph. They were only a few months old. I think is just shows that these types of wheels have a weak point. I suppose that joint could get weaker with age.

Deuces likes this.
  21. R Pope

R Pope

I broke lots of one-piece mags, but never a welded 2-piece. Never even heard of one breaking. Sometimes a steel rim will bend hitting something like a bad RR Xing or a big rock, but that kind of blow will break a "Mag".

Deuces likes this.
  22. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Does said friend have a vehicle these would fit? Ridiculous... Unless you found them in a landfill by the Sea

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

24. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I think it's important not to fall into the logic trap of having to disprove any claim of an unsafe condition.
    The onus should be on the person claiming that some part is unsafe to document why.

You could spend a huge amount of time looking into a claim like this about the rims being unsafe, and then someone else could come along and point at another piece of your car and say "I heard that that is unsafe".

The person making the claim only has to make the effort of stating a seemingly plausible concern, and then causes you to spend lots of time and effort into disproving it.

Muttley and Nicholas Coe like this.
  25. Wheels were invented in 230,000 BC by a man named Ug. Even though he carved the first one and tried to roll it end to end and gave up until Ogg came and showed him how it was supposed to work. Now Ug was never too bright and argues with Ogg and ended up hitting Ogg with his club.:confused: Ogg looked at Ug and said "Ug that hurt I am going to hit you back".:mad: Well Ogg hit Ug hard enough to kill him and got the rights to patent the wheel as we know I today.:eek: Now Ogg did not know that he had to renew his patent due to his inept lawyer and lost the rights to it and here we are today.:p Anyone want to buy a bridge?:D

26. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Sounds like OP's friend is trying to discredit the wheels as a way to possibly score them for next to nothing. Trust no ones intentions/advice unless they can back it up or prove it. If it sounds far fetched, it probably is. A weld is a weld, you can always check the welds for cracks by magnafluxing them. If there was a alum/steel corrosion issue, it would be very obvious.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  27. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

IMG_0848.JPG

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Condition's condition's. condition's. Two piece construction no longer allowed in some forms of racing. A tale was born?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Elcohaulic and Nicholas Coe like this.
  29. Born_too_late

Born_too_late
    from N. Iowa

[​IMG]
    These slots on my 60 are pressed into a steel wheel. They’re dam old and show wear, but they’re still round...I guess...

30. touring20

touring20

In the late sixths or early seventies I heard about a set of Cragers delaminating on a friends elcomino on the way home (brand new) small welds broke , but that all I have heard .
    The firestone dealer never carried them again . I'm sure that was an oops that got some one fired !

Nicholas Coe likes this.