Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Real Life Experiences with ESAB Easy Grind mig wire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I would like to hear from those who have used the Easy Grind mig wire. I done some searching but want to hear from fellow HAMBers. Truly easier to grind? Easier to planish? Easy to weld with?

Thanks

2. Crocodile

Crocodile

Just replying to see the answers. I bought a 11 pound spool last weekend, at $6 per pound, but haven't used it yet.

3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

4. mickeyc

mickeyc

I would like to buy some to try
    it to see for myself. I have tried Cyber weld as well as a few local suppliers here abouts. (the New Orleans area)
    None around here have even heard of it, and most doubted there is such a product?

5. I've used it for years doing sheet metal work. .024 in my 115v Miller. Can't remember the brand offhand, but I get it at my local welding supply. Spendy though, about $90 for a big spool.
    Yes it grinds much easier. planishes somewhat better, but mig is still a hard weld no matter what.

6. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been using it since I saw Ron Covell's endorsement of it, probably twenty years ago now.
    Yes, it is easier to grind, it's softer than typical ER70S mig wire, the joint can be hammered and shaped to some degree, but it will never be as malleable as a tig or gas weld.

7. Duke

Duke

I use it, I find it nice to use. Have not had any welds crack that I hammered.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, if you cannot remember the brand offhand, then you aren't sure you are actually talking about ESAB Spoolarc Easy Grind.

Without that key detail, we have no way of knowing if you are talking about your experience with the same product, or some other product.

9. low down A

low down A

i too searched for it when this was brought up a couple weeks ago but ran into a dead end. pretty much same results that mikeyc got. those of you that claim to be using it have not given any usable source to actually buy it. why the secrecy ?

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

http://www.esab.ca/ca/en/products/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.product&productCode=9492

What ESAB does is basically clever and somewhat misleading.

They package a common wire and call it easy grind but don’t tell you the whole truth.

What I mean is that they don’t give you the actual wire number specifications.

What they are packaging and selling as “Easy grind “ is ER70-S2 GMAW wire that you can also get from any other welding consumables supplier in .023 size.

Real world experience. Is it any softer and easier to grind than the usual ER70-S6 wire?

Not really. The weld deposit is supposed to be softer and it is but not enough to warrant looking all over for the stuff.

I wasn’t impressed with it.

Another drawback to it is that it contains different deoxidizers than S-6 wire so it’s not as good for slightly dirty or rusty metal.

For softer easier to work with welds I use Tig and or OAW.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    belair, Rich B. and afaulk like this.
  11. 34Phil

34Phil

I bought a couple small rolls 15? years ago and did not see much difference and as I had to order them, just went back to regular wire.

12. missysdad1

missysdad1

I just bought some to try at www.weldingsupply.com. I'll report when I've had a chance to use it, too cold today in the shop.

13. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

14. Save your money, I'm not impressed at all. It doesn't seem to grind any differently , but where I notice the difference is in the wire transfer. The .023 Easy Grind continually balls up between the transfer rollers and the liner entry on my Lincoln 185+, so it must have less tensile strength. I never had that problem with other 023 wire and it's very annoying.

15. The reason one can't buy any mig wire softer than E70 is that it doesn't feed well. (companies won't sell something that won't work universally) If one were to use a spool gun, and could find a softer wire, mig will weld just as soft as tig

16. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Most feeding problems are not the wire. It is incorrect feed roll pressure, and/or dirty, worn out, or wrong parts like guides, liners and tips. Aluminum is a lot softer than steel and lots of people MIG weld with it.

17. RDR

RDR

I read somewhere that, "If you have to grind, you are not a welder, but a grinder"...Well, that being said, I have used an Easy Grind .023 on a build...22#'s of it, on a custom with many mods, and would have to say, it ground back like butter..Saved a whole lot of metal warp age from any grinding heat...so there you go, guess I'm a grinder, not a welder... Never used tig but learned autobody with Oxy/Acetylene.

jimmy six likes this.
  18. Crocodile

Crocodile

I usually use .023 wire in my Millermatic 130, but the roll I bought was .030 instead. They had ordered in a box for a customer who didn't come back, or they would not have stocked it. Hopefully that won't cause me any additional issues. Guess I will know once I get some time spent with it.

19. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

With a spool gun.;)

jimgoetz and rockable like this.
  20. indyjps

indyjps

Blue One's got it right. I read up on it and found the same thing. I bought a roll of ER70-S2, not ESAB, but have not had any panels to weld since I bought it.

21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

There is a lot of aluminum welding done with welding leads, not spool guns, using proper equipment and proper setup and some of the big things are proper feed roll pressure and using the right liners along with keeping the wire clean so as not to bind it up in the lead! Clipping a piece of Scotchbrite around the wire before it feeds will help tremendously and if you still have problems it may be time to change liners!

22. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

According to Kent White (Tinman Tech), what makes MIG welds hard is the carbon absorbed by the molten puddle from the CO2 in the shielding gas. Makes sense to me and I doubt there is much difference among quality ER70 welding wires.

belair likes this.
  23. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I have some and use it a lot. It does feed perfectly for me and grind much easier.

24. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well I'm right back to where I started before this thread! It is costly and is on sale for a little bit less but I'm still not sure. Maybe, maybe not. I guess I should start to learn how to use my Henrob, Dillon, Cobra torch more effectively.

25. mickeyc

mickeyc

I went today and tried to get a spool of the S2 wire
    as I read that it was softer as well. The clerk at the
    supply house had no idea what I was referring to.
    Had to settle for S6. They also had S8 which may be
    harder yet? I say clerk because he reminded of the experts at Auto Zone!

26. indyjps

indyjps

Grainger has multiple choices and allows you to filter by AWS classification
    https://m.grainger.com/mobile/produ...Grainger/24D962_AS02?$smthumb$webparentimage$

Heres the chemical properties of each tig rod, chemical properties of the mig wire are similar. ER70S2 has titanium zirconium and aluminum where ER70S6 does not. If you want to search around and find it.
    http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/er70s2-er70s6.html

Screenshot_20190209-070637_Chrome.jpg

Heres Hobart manufacturer model numbers for .025 11 and 2 lb rolls if you want to ask your local supply to order it, or order it from grainger.
    Screenshot_20190209-071957_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190209-071915_Chrome.jpg

27. afaulk

afaulk

For an "easy grind weld" I use Silicon Bronze rod and TIG. The equipment is not that expensive these days and its pretty easy to learn. (I learned it, thats the proof)

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Silicon Bronze can be used with a MIG setup, too, with pure Argon.

It is softer, more malleable, and grinds easily.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  29. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well whether you are a welder or grinder you are damn quick!

TagMan, Sporty45 and ebfabman like this.
  30. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

I bought a spool from KMS in Abbotsford (looks like that is in your vicinity) and loaded in my Miller 130 last fall as the installation of patch panels started on my project. I like it for 18 - 20 gauge sheet metal. As far as it being easier to grind ... not sure if that is valid. I think any .023 weld would be easier to grind than say .030 as the blob of weld is smaller leaving you less to grind away. Feeds great in my machine and does not seem to be fussy if there is a bit of crap on the surface. Just my opinion