Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Price of 4 speed transmissions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Colemire, Feb 3, 2019.

1. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Bought a well worn but complete and undamaged '63 T-10 at a swap meet 2 yrs ago for $200 - sold it a day later for $350 - so they are definitely out there, just have to be in the right place at the right time - If your willing to go for t5 strength, Try a saginaw 4 speed - Iron case and as long as its not the low 1st one out of a monza, they are plenty strong - can find those from $100-$350 - as far as t5s being OK in a light car with street tires, I busted my share of them in 5.0 mustangs back in the day......

2. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I bought my last one from Summit, its a Richmond Super T-10. Thats was about 4 years ago and I believe it was about $1800 along with a Hurst Comp Plus Shifter and mount kit was about another $400...SICK!
    Not sure how much they are now, but I do love them. One of the toughest trans out there and everytime I drive it that Hurst Comp Plus shifter takes me back to High School days. Gary

Attached Files:

brigrat and Deuces like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep
    I've kind of followed the rise in prices since buying mine 20 years ago, it was $1275.00.
    Still haven't installed it so I can't personally vouch for it but when prices consistantly rise on things; that tells me that at least the mfg has faith in it, I really have not heard much negative discussion about Richmond products in general.
    The one thing to keep in mind is the torque handling capability (of any transmission).
    Here is another HAMB thread with Richmonds' chart on that.

Post #8
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/muncie-vs-t-10-4-speed.1057195/

4. metalman

metalman

Here at the shop it's been 5 (or 6) speeds in most the builds we done in the last 10 years or so. I personally do like the overdrive benefits but... driving them... OK for just cruising around but if your going to bang gears I hate them. Seems no matter what shifter we use, no way it's the same as banging a Hurst Super Shifter, heck even a properly set up Competition Plus. It's that 2nd to 3rd throw get me every time. 2nd to 5th sucks. Is it just me or do others feel the same? Or is it I just haven't had enough seat time with them?

427 sleeper and pitman like this.
  5. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I put an M-20 from a '69 Camaro into my '59 Chev pickup. The Hurst comp plus shifter was a little tricky. I moved it forward about 4". This allowed me to avoid cutting the floorboard. I only needed to cut the removable floor panel. I have the flat 6-cyl panel.

427 sleeper likes this.
  6. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Mike, the deals are still out there. About 2 months ago I picked up a muncie 4 speed with Hurst shifter and bop bellhousing for $60. Haven't opened it up yet but figured for that price I can't get hurt too bad. So keep looking they're out there.

7. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Metal man I don't think it's you, the shaft type shifters will never shift like a good super shifter on a muncie or T10. I worked at Ford when the Roush Mustangs came out and even if they were equipped with the good shifter I thought they sucked. I think you'd be better off not trying to speed shift them.

427 sleeper likes this.
  8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Some type of lockout would be nice, I too, can consistently hit 5th from 2nd.

427 sleeper likes this.
  9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

A couple [yeah probably closer to 5] years ago I swapped a brand new Ford T5z in place of a Ford wide ratio top loader that had maybe 15k miles on it, wanted the OD..The T5 surprised me with how well it shifted, very smooth and positive, better than the Ford top loader and I was perfectly happy with the way the Top Loader shifted with a Hurst shifter...I then sold the Ford Top Loader with hurst shifter for $950.00...

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

You just have to look around. There's good deals most places, check around with your hotrod buddies, first! I pulled the Muncie, with clutch, flywheel, and scattershield out of my F1, still sitting in my garage. Could be had for 1000, including Hurst shifter!
    Lots of guys pulled them to put in 5 speeds.

11. pitman

pitman

Chop, is Close, or Wide? :cool:

12. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I can remember going from a competition plus to the Hurst super shifter with the straight beefed up rods and it was like night and day difference. With the small rods you hed to adjust the shifter about once a week and keep a bushing kit with you. We were hard on them though, the worst shifter I ever had was in my 70 chevelle, rock crusher trans, 454, 450 HP car. The throw was a mile long and it was very sloppy. Wish I had that car back, I sold it to a guy and a friend of his convinced him that the trans was going out, they were noisey, and traded him a 220 for it and drawed $300 boot.

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Johnny Gee likes this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I just finished a rebuild on a T-10. Had to replace every part in it but first gear, (would have liked to replace it also but not available) just a little FYI if buying used.

I also just picked up a Liberty pro shifted top loader with a V gate, going to adapt it to one of the 409 cars. :)

Deuces, Gammz and Max Gearhead like this.
  15. PackardV8

PackardV8

Just my experience, but if one knows how to use an inflation calculator, in constant dollars, the old 4-speeds are less expensive today than when they were new. What has happened is evidenced by this thread; look at the recommendations for 5-speeds. Many muscle cars are having the OEM 4-speed removed and spending 5-grand to have a shop install a new 5-speed, scattershield, dual disc, hydraulic throwout throwdown. The 4-speeds then go on the market.
    jack vines

Squablow and 4port Willy like this.
  16. 4port Willy

4port Willy

What did everyone who had a 4speed back then? Pound the livin shit out of it. Put 3 muncies through my cutlass they never lasted a summer .the last one had rebuilt all new guts sold it to a buddy of mine had to give him his money back ,he pd for the tow . Put a tremec 5 in the cutlass been they for 5 summers no issues, Putting a new 4 speed in the Willy’s has the extra heavy case and gear ratios to match the power from muncie Jeff .Will be on the road this summer will let ya know the outcome ,unless you can find one from your grammas car good chance there old and tired and left on the shelf .just my opinion..

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

Nothing shifts smoother then the WC T-5 in my 63 BelAir. !900 RPM's @ 75 MPH. First gear still low enough to light up the tires.

Deuces likes this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A couple of Muncies in the PNW on Cl for 750. Rebuilt M20 in the Portland area with a laundry list of the parts that were put in it for 1100.
    I had a Muncie in my 48 for a long time. I still have the Hurst competition plus and linkage my dad bought me for it in the shed where it will probably stay until my kids sell it in an estate sale. It was my dad's contribution to one of the redo's and is in the some day list.

This time around I picked up an AX-15 5 speed out of a 97 Dodge Dakota 360 2 wheel drive and bought a Novak adapter. After selling the Dodge bellhousing on Ebay for over twice what I paid for the trans I have about 200 in the whole setup.

19. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

We did beat on them, I learnt how to rebuild them really quick, built several for friends.

20. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I worked at the Chevy garage , always had a Muncie under the bench that needed parts , when a Muncie equipped car came in that was under warranty , it would need that part ,( wink , wink, ) , this was 68-70, factory rep asked me one time about how people in our area tore up. So many 4- speeds , he was grinning , I said nothing .....

21. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

There is a M-20 in the HAMB classified right now for $650. It is advertised as very clean. This sounds fair to me. I just bought a builder with one broken gear and a bad cluster for $175 shipped but I have a source for the parts. Reasonable ones are out there.

22. 73RR

73RR

This is a good trans! The Jeep off-roaders beat the snot out of them. The speedo is less of an issue than the t-5.

23. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I still have a couple 4 speeds on the shelf for a couple "period correct" builds, but otherwise I use T56 6 speeds in anything with a clutch I drive, if 5 is good 6 is better. 4 speeds should be cheaper not more expensive, nothing like a 4:10 gear and double overdrive for the fast lane on the highway.

dirty old man likes this.
  24. LAROKE

LAROKE

Got this rebuilt rockcrusher in November of 2015 for $1795 for my '55 Chevy pickup project. Not finished with the build yet so I can't say how it will work out. The hurst shifter and linkage were other purchases.

[​IMG]

bobss396 likes this.
  25. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Theres nothng wrong with the cast iron saginaw..........factory in a 67 big block car ran for years...cheap , most muncie guys will give them away...

Johnny Gee likes this.
  26. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Anyone hear know if you can adapt a mopar 833 to a sbf, I've got a pile of mopar 4 speeds and I'd like to put a 4 speed in my Fairlane.

27. mopacltd

mopacltd

833 is a great transmission, but boy, is it heavy!

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yep, so long as it's a 2:54 1st gear ratio.

29. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Cheap would be late 60's, early 70's 3 speeds. At least you can go back and forward until you find a 4 speed.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  30. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Still cheap