Register now to get rid of these ads!

2wd s-10 rear end width

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Trucked Up, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

I have a 2002 4X4 S10 blazer rear end under my 38 Cheby P/U, OEM Disc brakes, Posi rear ,the truck came with a 12 bolt from a Camaro 4:11 gears not good on the interstate that was only reason for changing the rear end

2. old thread I know, but I've built dozens of those AD Chevs,..you need a rearend that measures 60" from WMS to WMS (wheel mount surface, outside of drums)
    ..then you can run a 15 x 8" rim such as a Corvette Rally wheel with a 3 3/4 " backspace , or similar with a 235-75 series tire, great clearance on both sides of tire...S-10 4x4, or 68-74 Nova/clones work as well as others, even full size GM's from the mid to late 70's but you need to cut off the coil spring mounts and make or buy leaf spring saddles...
    cokers 7-30-16 035.jpg

lothiandon1940 and neverdun like this.
  3. verde742

verde742

I ALWAYS want to know From backing plate to backing plate, because the wheels can be varied, and the backing plates "is what they is.." I want to know if the body OR the bed has enuff room to go up and down, without having to "tub it"
    I KNOW I am going to have off set wheels. some deeper than others > always have, always will. <

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  4. jlsilvo

jlsilvo

Rusty, thanks for the post. I have a 49 Chevy and wanting to upgrade front and rear suspensions. Instead of asking if an S10 will work, please tell me what you would run both front and back with disc brakes. I’d like to know what you would use if you purchased new and if you were to use an old vehicle setup.
    I truly appreciate your time and advice. Thanks!
    Josh

5. ^^^first off, I'm ol skool, so I don't use disc brakes on any of my builds,...maybe someone here has experience with what you're asking about.
    ...if I had to guess, I'd say Must II front and S-10 disc rear from a 4x4,...S-10 fronts are too narrow and front clip stubs end up too wide with disc brakes.

6. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

to know S10 gear ratio need to look at tag in glove box of donor vehicle

8. primed34

primed34

There are code numbers stamped on the right rear axle tube.

9. BillSchmid

BillSchmid
    from Ohio

Don't rule out the 8.8 found in the ford explorers. A little wider than an S10, strong as a 9 inch, and very many have 3.73 or 4.10 with limited slip.

Shadow Creek and jimmy six like this.
  10. Dirt Diggler

Dirt Diggler

I'm going to have to bump this old thread up.

So I know a lot of people who are doing the s10 rearend swaps have gotten a 4x4 rear from a late 80's 4x4 S10 with the width being approx. 59" from the mounting surfaces of each drum.

My question is the late 90's 4x4 S10 rearends the same width say a 1997 or 98? The late 80's or even early 90's rearends are hard to come by in my area and I was hoping I can get a late 90's rear end and not run into any issues.