Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Where is this car now?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by quicksilverart46, Feb 3, 2019.

1. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

This beauty was a local landmark from ‘68-‘70 in my home town of West Covina Ca. . It was stored at Bud’s Muffler shop on Vincent and every day it was pushed out into parking lot for all to see. At 18 I was drawn to it like a magnet. Beautiful long swoopy kandy Gold flames over kandy root beer brown metalflake. Powered by a blown Keith Black Chrysler it was a masterpiece of form and function. I recall seeing photos of it around 1965 in this form and I do not recall ever seeing it on the strip . Was it only a show car? I do know that Hank Bissetti was the master painter that created this beauty. I met Hank in the late 80’s- or early ‘90’s at Speed O Motive while I was painting the lettering and numbers for Al Teague on his Streamliner and during conversation he mentioned that he painted the mid engine Shiefer Drag Roadster back in the ‘60’s.
    I don’t know who built the car and who owned it back then . Maybe Bud’s muffler purchased it or maybe he originally built the exhaust and decided to buy the car..
    it’s all a mystery to me but maybe somebody here knows the story and what ever happened to to this wild ride.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

3. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Deuces, loudbang and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  4. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

I believe that was Holly Hedrick's roadster.
    I think I remember the body & frame sitting along side the building at Blair's, years ago .

Deuces, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

It would be great to find and bring back to life.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2019-2-4_16-46-32.png ''
    Back view of my brothers rear engine roadsters. "This is Holy's old roadster we where the 3rd owners of this car. the car was sold to Dollar Don Blair for a dollar where it went from there??? I'd like to know where it went."

http://georgeklass.net/roadsters.html
    This immaculate 1927 Model-T Modified Roadster has been around. It was originally owned by Holly Hedrick, an early dry lakes and drag racing pioneer, and then like so many old race cars, sold to different people over time. At this time, no one seems to know where this car is or what eventually happened to it. As a race car, it garnered a reputation of being evil handling and squirrely. Going straight down the track was apparently not part of this cars DNA, but it sure was a "looker"...

[​IMG]

It appears that back in 2009, someone was trying to locate where the car was back then. A HAMB post indicated that it was originally owned by Don "Bud Heaton" of Covina Calif. It was sold by Mr. Heaton to the Scheifer company, hence the new logo, and that's the last they knew of it.

Deuces, RMR&C, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

8. loudbang

loudbang

From the link by MGTSTUMPY. It was destroyed when a spectator drove onto the end of the track and the roadster T boned it.
    What's left after the crash a bunch of mangled parts. :(

1.JPG

Deuces, RMR&C and Hnstray like this.
  9. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

So he was the original owner builder. I never knew and I believe Bud’s Muffler May have bought it then from him. I think Bud did the 8 pipes out the rear and maybe picked it up for a good price just as a gimmick to draw in customers. It disappeared around 1970-71. Do you know if it was a early ‘60’s build?

loudbang likes this.
  10. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  11. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

This must be a different car because the Shiefer mid engine T was alive and well from ‘68-‘71 at the muffler shop .

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  12. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

That makes sense . Bud’s Muffler shop was in West Covina and must have owned it in the latter part of the ‘60’s or maybe he was storing it for the owner and using it as a lure to reel in customers. It reeled me in for sure in ‘68 when I first saw it!!

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  13. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

This thing has to be stuffed in the back of someone’s shop around the SGV somewhere..

loudbang likes this.