Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Ala Kart Suspension: What was George thinking?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrPhat40, Feb 3, 2019.

1. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

Hey H.A.M.B.er's,
    A friend of mine is starting a new build: Show Rod 34 Ford pick up. He is planning lots of goodies: chop, section, molded fenders and the like. One of the ideas he has is to mimic the "ala Kart" suspension, both front and rear.
    Problem is we can not seem to find any decent detail shots of the front and rear suspension, much less a description of what old George and Sam came up with. It appears Barris used coil springs which looked to be bagged (?) with a straight axle in the front and the Ford banjo rear end.
    I am coming to the well once again for some incite and direction.
    Looking forward the knowledge and "barbs" so often found here.
    As a parting piece of info, this guy drives everything he builds so maybe we can spike the : "oh brother just what the world needs another trailer show queen" sighs.
    MrPhat40

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. It was a show car so suspension design would have been way down the list of priorities

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! Nothin' but show street rod... Why I bought the model of it, I don't know why.... :confused:

VANDENPLAS and warhorseracing like this.
  4. It was intended to show case many new ideas and start new trends

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Unkl Ian and gimpyshotrods like this.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I don't what about coil springs would make it un drivable? Lots of cars were built that way in the '60's and 70's. the bags are nothing more than the overload helper bags that firestone used to sell back in the day. I think the front has 4 bars but I am unsure. I did find this pic of the rear in about 1 minute of searching google. I say if your buddy wants coil springs, go for it!!!
    ALA KART FRAME 005.jpg

hrm2k, SS327, EVL401 and 21 others like this.
  6. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

Thank you so much.
    I guess your computer skills are much better than mine as well as my buddy.
    Hope the build comes out better!
    MrPhat40

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

A model car kit would be a good thing to have. I believe there are lots of photos on the web of the original and the clone to help you out. Sorry I don't have any to share. Gary

8. Coil springs front and rear and some of the most beautiful scallops ever created.:) f0d2fcb7a5dd11931fd8839c5127c481.jpg 3352161573_0bcddfcf9b.jpg

SS327, EVL401, The37Kid and 17 others like this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everyone knows that air suspension did not exist until the mini-truck era.

deuceman32, SS327, Unkl Ian and 10 others like this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It was at the gnrs do a quick search for those photo threads and I’m sure you’ll see some of this truck, and or be able to figure out who has it now and ask for more photos.

Either way like Mark said lots of cars ran those coils in front and back - with it with out the overload bags- and drove just as well as anything would over a straight axle I say go for it if that’s the vibe he’s shooting for.

Moriarity likes this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Super fast search and it looks like maybe John Mumford owns it and Galphen <- May have spelt that wrong- ford would be who I’d ask for more info as there’s a good chance they’ve had something to do with it in the recent years.

Deuces likes this.
  12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Joke, correct?

Spooky and LAROKE like this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

14. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Al Kart Issue RJ 40.JPG
    If you can get your hands on issue #40 of the Rodders Journal I would guess
    you could get some good ideas from reading that issue.

Unkl Ian, EVL401, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Try contacting Dave at Roy Brizio's. He's their parts manager and is normally super helpful and might be able to shine some light on the bags your looking for. I believe Brizio's restored the Ala Kart?

16. I just googled Ala Kart Restoration and at least 10 pages of hits come up nd you can also look at images. Something helpful should jump out at you in all of that. It doesn't take a lot of skill to use your search engine no matter what one is in your computer.

Tim likes this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No. Air ride has not existed since the turn of the previous century, double-convoluted bags were not invented and patented in the 1930's, they were never used in cars, custom, or otherwise, and laying frame and/or rockers is from the last ten-fifteen years, or so.

SS327, Thor1, GuyW and 3 others like this.
  18. saltracer219

saltracer219

Air Lift Company has been in business since 1949, those are the air bags that were used on the Ala Kart.

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neil Thompson always ran Air Lift's on his Bonneville cars. I still use them on my pickups for towing and stableization. They are a very good product. Today they can be in a spring or by themselves.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
    saltracer219 likes this.
  20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Motor Trend April of 53 Scan0852.jpg

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Yep. And used in all sorts of racing - most visibly perhaps in early NASCAR - and heavy trucks and trailers, railroad cars, and campers, and cars towing trailers, etc.. Everywhere you've ever seen "air cushion ride" was talking bags. Even so, they were used more like helper springs and to "smooth out" the ride when inflated to the appropriate pressure, or to temporarily increase the spring rate of a heavily laden pickup or passenger car.

Did Mr. Barris ever explain why he used them and what the effects were? Benefits? Gary

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been told that that is revisionist history.

Nailhead Jason, zzford, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yup. The bags were just helpers, maybe they used too much lead. Who knows but you don’t need to use them in your new build if you don’t want or need to. I guessed earlier that it had 4 bars up front. I got out my model kit and it looks like split wishbones up front

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  24. pitman

pitman

Front Corvair coils I had used out back, they were ~ the correct spring rate, for an A coupe. Might work for your PU.

Tim likes this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It has been my understanding that the coils were selected for diameter and height, but not specifically rate, and that ended up not being right for the application, hence the helper bags.

26. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Cadillac, Buick, and Packard all had air suspension in the mid 50s.

LAROKE and VANDENPLAS like this.
  27. If you decide that you want to build the AMT Ala Kart kit there are 2 versions, one, the original came out in 1962ish and has been reissued a few times, currently as the Mod Rod, tho' doesn't have the AK decals.........then there was a completely new tool released in around 2000, with the most accurate chassis & suspension, however there is a continuing argument regarding the size of the engine(some think its too small), the shape or curvature of the cowl/hood and the kit decals are a slightly incorrect shade......Hot wheels has also done it in a couple of diecasts as well.............the Ala Kart is truly a work of art.......not many hot rods of any persuasion have been modelled in scale let alone cloned in 1:1 scale......andyd

SS327 and Deuces like this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not just today, but in 1936, too.

I am making this all up (according to some on this site):

Patent number: 2133279
    Filing date: Jan 3, 1936
    Issue date: Oct 18, 1938
    [​IMG]
    It's a mirage: https://patents.google.com/patent/US2133279?oq=2133279

Move along. Nothing to see here....

Attached Files:

studebakerjoe, SS327, redo32 and 5 others like this.
  29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

*I know, I am allowing others to make a point that I have been eviscerated for making before.

To some, if something was not present on half of the cars in magazines, or they did not see it everywhere they went, it did not exist (even if you show them examples).

studebakerjoe, SS327, lostone and 7 others like this.
  30. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Chevy, Pontiac and Olds too. At least in 58 or 59.

SS327 likes this.