Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 and 1956 Ford cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Jan 28, 2019.

1. With the corrosion, no frame, engine, missing panels, I would say you are under 1000 lbs already. Your bigger issue will be having to section that thing out because it might break apart when you try to pull it out. Too bad I live in Ohio - would love to help - adventures like these are just my type of thing! I think it's great you are considering dragging it out.

As far as 55/56 Ford's go, there are quite a few in my area, and where I'm from in North Carolina. I guess it just differs on what part of the country you're living in.

check out my website when you can... hotrodreverend.com. On the 52-59 Ford Social Group I have a rather long thread that details work on a 55 Ford Club Sedan I have owned since I was a teenager. Lots of videos too.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

@scotts52:
    Tread width of the '55 and '56 is the same as the railroad tracks. Low tires (24 PSI) and the car goes down the tracks as smooth as apple butter! Try it, but you won't want to get off at your road...Smoooooth ride...All Aboard?
    My pal Russell had a '56 Vic. I installed a 352 P.I. out of a blue$white San Jose Police car, got the engine for $125 at Navarro Auto Wreckers. (they did all the retired police vehicles)
    We went for a ride, one six pack later we were on the old railroad line, the Sunset Train route to Santa Cruz. Smooooth ride, as I said...all the way to the beach! (31 miles from San Jose)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  4. They're not all that heavy. When I had my '56 wagon body off the frame and on stands, two of us could pick up either end without grunting too much. Mine had the windshield/dash still installed, but no doors or side glass. I'd say somewhere around 7-800 lbs as that one sits. The biggest problem will probably be 'breaking the suction' if it's down in mud...

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  5. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

My very first memory is of my dad's '57 Meteor. Yellow/white. Really it's of the wheel covers. Probably a Rideau four door. Good luck finding one of those! I have a '56 Meteor Rideau Victoria though!

loudbang likes this.
  6. scotts52

scotts52

Ground is a bit frozen right now. This is probably going to take several day trips to dig out, set up out of the ground and recover.

7. The 1955 and 56 cars are great looking. I had a 1955 Customline that has a 223 and Fordomatic. I sold it to one of my best Buddies Dad. They fixed the six, and got it on the road and now my Buddy cruises the heck out of it. I sold it before I discovered the H.A.M.B., when I pointed this out at lunch today, we had a good laugh. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. HotRod Jones

HotRod Jones
    from Spokane

4173705 above was also my favorite 56 of all time. I looked for a 56 to do for one year and didn't find any. In my search I came across this rust free 57 and settled for it. Turned out good but would rather have had a 56. This 57 also ended up in Australia with a nice built 351W. S5002027.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Elcohaulic, loner2, Bleach and 10 others like this.
  9. scotts52

scotts52

Looks like all models have 115.5 wheelbase. Is this correct?

loudbang likes this.
  10. Yes. They also use the same basic frame, just with additional bracing for high-end cars, and some different crossmembers in the rear for the wagons.

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Nice '57. I agree, though; I like '56s better.

12. Pull the doors and trunk lid seats ect and make it as light as possible.Two men should be able to lift it. My son Zack and I lifted a 55 chevy hull and put it on a tilt top lawn mower trailer. No doors ,seats ,windshield,trunk lid or frame. The floors where rusty and part missing. Rusty Chevrolet 010.JPG

13. Fordnut40

Fordnut40

IMG_2350.JPG IMG_2390.JPG A few pictures of my '56 Ranchwagon. 292 Y block with a mid '60s Borg Warner 3 speed/OD (had to upgrade because of stock 4.27 rear end ratio), Aerostar front coils, new floor pans. A real hoot, especially with the vintage decals & the surfboards.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    loner2, Bleach, Atwater Mike and 7 others like this.
  14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

15. Jakes38

Jakes38

I happen to have a soft spot for these beauties. Ford really nailed it. And they really are tough as nails. I flog the heck out of this old girl and she just keeps on motorvating! 20190127_200817.jpg

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Searched for 12 years for just one more '56 Fairlane or Vic 2 dr. hardtop.
    #1 son found a '54 Ford Coupe for me, (my 11th one!) Cool, because it has:

Heavy tube engine mounting cross member that also ties in lower control arms at rear (just like '55-'60) Myriad of Ford engines bolt in! My new 406 and heavy 3 speed will be just right. So, it's almost a '55-'56! Just not as pretty, but more 'business-like'.

Good T-Bird type suspension (unequal length control arms, infinite adjustment)

Speedo with plexi-bubble on top of dash, engine turned dash facia all the way across.

#1 son presented it to me on Father's Day! Now, he's got a '56!

17. Aussiepete.

Aussiepete.
    from Australia

Ive loved the shape of a 55 t6 ford for a long time. Heres mine 20190131_205608.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925I using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Elcohaulic, loner2, Bleach and 11 others like this.
  18. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

Nice coupe pete ,I bet parts are tough to get in Australia nice color too its the same as the lighter color will be on the parklane

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Squablow

Squablow

I feel like if I had one it'd be more mild custom, but I really like this one, especially because it's a Fairlane Club Sedan with the fancier trim on it. You'd think this look would only work on a Mainline or something but this car looks great.

20. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

I think the 56 had the best looking dashboard of any car in the era

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Is that car really in Kathmandu? Seems a wonderfully improbable ride to be found in that neck of the woods.

22. I love the clean, uncluttered look with the steelies and the poverty caps. Especially the black one shown in previous pictures. That bad boy looks as if it should have a big load of “Likker” in the trunk. I’m thinking a big FE and overdrive!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  23. That '56 is a beaut. I'd trade two tri-five Chevys for it any day.

24. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

55 Ford wagon w torque thrusts .jpg
    Maybe something like this?

Elcohaulic, loner2, eddie1 and 14 others like this.
  25. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

26. 55 ford.JPG 55crossmember1small.JPG 55fordin66.jpg I had a green/white 55 in high school and really liked it except for a rear main leak in the Y-block.
    Then I bought a black 55 just a few years ago to find the front crossmember was rusted to death! Now I know why there's not a lot of these cars left....rusted crossmembers are very common and most owners didn't want to go through the expense to get them replaced

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    KKrod, loner2, Bleach and 11 others like this.
  27. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

my dad had a 1956 ford, white and salmon, in the early 60s he was teaching his girlfirend to drive and she panicked and hit the gas instead of the brakes, ran right into a tree, it was a hard top conv victoria, looked just like this! took place in the dalles too, northernmost oregon. i have a dream of finding a 56 and restoring it to what he had and surprising him on his 80th birthday, 2020, that was kind of my goal for the 53 ford i have, put it together and sell or trade it for a 56

chryslerfan55, loudbang and danman55 like this.

28. Oliver...FWIW the 1967 photo was taken in The Dalles, looking north. Can almost see the Clikitat range in the background.

29. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

no kidding! yeah i guess that makes sense based on our other conversation. my dad may even remember your car since he had a 56 around that time, he loved that car, its the only one he never sold. itd be a pretty amazing feat if i could pull off getting him one before december 2020, ill do my damndest

30. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Another place to look for rust is under the reinforcement plate that runs under the frame alongside the rocker panels on the hardtops, Sunliners and Crown Victorias. The rust can hide there, and may not be visible. I pushed one of mine right up into the frame with a bottle jack, not knowing how rusty it was there. These nice wagons are reminding me of Highwayman, I wonder how he's getting along.