Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. madmike3434

madmike3434

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Fern 54 likes this.
  2. madmike3434

madmike3434

3. 67 Cougar

67 Cougar
    from Wisconsin

Yep that's where I found it. I hit reply under those photos. I was never Pensive scribe.
    Not the handiest on the computer sometimes :) I don't know if it's the way my computer is set up or what. I will occasionally have problems over on the Classic Cougar forum as well.
    So I did do a lot of google searching and reading. The stovebolt site is good, and also found quite a bit on VCCA
    Not finding really anything in a blog right up with photos that anyone did when they restored theirs though. Just thought maybe Pensive Scribe had something. My biggest concern is the wood replacement, primarily the doors and door jambs. The rest looks pretty simple.

4. Cars are far easier to put metal tubing in , I have done both.
    trucks have no metal around the door openings the way cars have .
    and the doors are basically a skin ,where as car doors have a metal frame IMG_1089 (1).JPG IMG_1090 (2).JPG IMG_1091 (2).JPG IMG_1084.JPG IMG_1083.JPG

5. madmike3434

madmike3434

Your not going to find much about a 27 chev truck build here that I am aware of.

My suggestion would be to find a build stream/thread in the ford sections on this site and look for similar in 26-27 ford pickup or 28-29 ford pickup . I do not think there would be a lot of differences, both would contain lots of wood.

Suggestion............FIND THE ABSOLUTE BEST QUALITY CAR/TRUCK YOU CAN AND BUY IT. Save you a ton of searching for original parts and a whole lot less of body work. In VCCA CHAT there is a guy ( rustoholic ) who has a few trucks of the era of Chevrolet your looking for. Unknown if any for sale ? There are a few diff sections to post in to get answers.

1967 cougar GT 390--320 HP black , white interior, 4 speed, 4.57 gears, wire wheel hubcaps. Bought year old kept too 1975

mike lynch

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  6. Even 26 27 28 29 fords didnt have the amount of wood a chev had . Fords of that era had all metal doors and whatever wood there was was mostly to fasten upholstery to.My 27 riadster pick up .. wood floors thats it , all metal body , no wood 20180704_101710.jpg

7. Here is the termite capital of them all Lol 20180216_205646.jpg 20180217_001050.jpg

Fern 54, TFoch and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

This one belongs to a friend. I think it's a '27 maybe a '28. It has a pretty hot 171 Chevy four built on a '25 block. It is very drivable. 100_1564.jpg 100_0194.jpg 100_1032.jpg

Fern 54, GuyW, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  9. 67 Cougar

67 Cougar
    from Wisconsin

Mike,
    Thanks for the advice. Sound advice for any project for the most part. Always some exceptions though. Cool that you had a 67 Cougar. Mine is a 390, but not a GT.
    Wood Remover, looks like you got several projects going. Like your Ford. My research on these old things has revealed that to me about the Fords having steel over the GM line. What's the one in the pics above. Some kind of delivery type Chevy? Lot's of wood :) Is that truck Sixball posted a 1/2ton built on a car chassis?
    The truck I have been scoping out is a 27. I believe it might be a 1ton. It has wood spoke wheels, not solid steel, and doesn't have a box on it, but had a wood bed. The guy actually has a mid 20s chevy car of some kind also. It appears to have juice brakes on the front axle.
    David

10. The car photo with all the wood is a 33 chev 4 door I bought sight unseen for parts .
    Turns out to be an unwanted restoratiom project !!!
    the wood in the car is damn near perfect , the chassis is restored and painted
    body is in blocking primer .
    Problem is I bought it to cut up and to nice to cut up !!!
    the running boards were wrong for the car ,but nos , I sold them and now covered the cost of the car and made 200.00

I will likely cut it up in the spring IMG_1104.JPG IMG_1102 (1).JPG IMG_1107.JPG IMG_1106 (1).JPG IMG_1108.JPG

mgtstumpy and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  11. madmike3434

madmike3434

this would make a perfect 4 door hi boy for somebody. There was a 32 ford..........ptew, 4 door sedan that went for the Detroit Ridler award a few years ago, was a really trick car everywhere. What made it above all others was it was a fo don smith 2014 great 8.jpg don smith texas.jpg ur door without the center post. No idea how it was done , but it was an outstanding build feature..
    Found some pictures from 2014 and some text of how it was done. Car was a great 8 winner not the Ridler. The center post was attached to the rear door and when closing like a double door refrigerator, that hinge area would rotate. Examine the pictures.
    mike lynch

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Bowtie Coupe and wood remover like this.
  12. here is the one I chopped. 34chevylg.jpg

GuyW, Bowtie Coupe, TFoch and 4 others like this.
  13. Super cool cars , but I have others I would rather spend money and time.on ..

14. madmike3434

madmike3434

well rather than cut the car up , why not get a buyer for what you have and show them how neat it would be as a 4 door high boy like the orange 32.
    mike lynch

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  15. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

4 drs. are a perfect candidate for a sedan delivery! Already have the shorter front doors and proper proportions. I just recently ran across a sedan delivery rear door, too.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  16. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Why bother wasting your time with 67 Cougar Mike, there's no "Member" under his username. Usually means some type of spammer. I ran into this situation while looking for another frame for my coupe. The guy posts pictures of a frame that ANOTHER hamber posted for sale years ago, come to find out from other hambers giving me the heads up....

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  17. madmike3434

madmike3434

31chevymike............don,t we have to be members to post on this site, I thought we did and he showed as having a couple of posts. I thought he was up too stupidity, but his explanation of hitting reply on that much earlier post because he is interested in a 27 chevy truck, lets me now think he is legit...?????....we shall see.
    He might have started on post #1 and kept reading until he got to it.

You getting ready for the move west to Arizona .

mike lynch

31chevymike likes this.
  18. 67 Cougar

67 Cougar
    from Wisconsin

Mike and Mike,
    Not a spammer, and did sign up for an account, and got an approval email. I don't know why it doesn't say member under my name.
    I did exactly what you say when I started at post number one, until I got to page 35 and saw the photos that a user that goes by Pensive scribe posted, then I hit reply under there.
    I introduced myself in the new comers section back on the 26th of Jan about a 27 Chevy truck.
    If I'm doing something wrong I apologize. Just trying to learn what it takes to do an old wood framed chevy truck, to see if I want to give it a go.
    I think I will just lurk, and not post.
    Regards,
    David

TFoch likes this.
  19. madmike3434

madmike3434

David ...............WELCOME !!!!!!!
    My mistake , I thought you were the guy from before "Pensive " whatever who avoided any contact or posts. His original post was stupid.

Anyway hope you find and buy a chevy truck and enjoy owning it. My advice from prior post stands, buy absolute best vehicle you can find. make your decision afterward about what you want to do with it, as far as modifications go. This is not a restoration site, thats the VCCA CHAT. Guy over there RUSTOHOLIC has a 27 I believe he calls lurch.

mike lynch............whitby Ontario Canada

20. 31chevymike

31chevymike

My apologies David, we all welcome your postings.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. David , post away , Hard bunch of guy's on here somtimes !!! Mike is a good guy and helpful .Out on the main board I find them a little rough on the newbie , and then wonder why there is no young people interested in the old car world !!!

Fast Eddie 27 likes this.
  22. 67 Cougar

67 Cougar
    from Wisconsin

Hey,
    Thanks! We will see where it goes. Wood remover, I'll keep an eye on your work with that truck. Looks like your somewhat going the path I was thinking. Would want to keep it stock looking, and actually have it be a usable truck in the good weather anyways. Not a concourse restoration, but something I could take to Menards, or HD, or the hardware store, and pick up some stuff, and still be an eye catcher. Thinking golden rod yellow with some wood in the cab (roof mostly) exposed and finished off nice. A newer model chevy box with wood bed modified to fit the truck nice and be able to fit 4x8 sheets like a standard pickup. But like I guess I said more than once already, make it go down the road a little faster, which means whatever it takes. No wood spokes I guess like it has now, and juice brakes on all 4 corners.
    David

PBRmeASAP likes this.
  23. David
    Fabrication takes time ,money and skill !!!!
    If you can put together a chassis with mostly stock parts you are way ahead of the game .
    Truck frames are basically the same up to 54 , which give you a lot of choice of driveline updates ,getting the body solid on an early truck is the biggest challenge. the boxes will fit thru a lot of years as well .
    Mine is original 34 frame with 54 front axle ,Bendix self energizing brakes, upgrades to disk easy.
    Toyota rear end proper width , same bolt pattern, posi as well .

Not a lot of fabrication ,mostly bolt on stuff.

I don't post the build as the Toyota parts would would have the board all over me , although you can post late model

350 s and 305s , 5 speed s10 , without to much grief it seems !!!

the knowledge on the board is great though .

Have fun and don't take things to heart , easy to type and press send before the brain engages LOL

JOE

6inarow likes this.
  24. madmike3434

madmike3434

Seeing as how the year your looking at 27-28 buying only came with 4 cyl, firewall will need cut into to get a sbc swp at 28 1/2 long into that engine compartment. 1929 and up 6 cyl trucks are long enough to get a sbc swp in , but not a lot of extra room.
    Its all about what appeals to you visually. I kinda liked that 27 pickup sixball posted a picture of a while back. According to the pundits on tv at Barrett Jackson auctions , trucks are hot as they were last year.

So your search continues, let us know when you step to plate and buy something.

mike lynch

25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

You shouldn't get much grief about a Toyota rear end, even the HAMB drag rules allow later trans and diff parts. There are the hard core "period correct" crowd but they haven been very attentive to this thread. They are for the most part Ford guys and I doubt if they even know this thread exists.
    Some engine choices might include the GM 4 cylinder family. The 153 '62-'70 Chevy II rated at 90hp or the MerCruiser versions of 153 and 181 inches rated a 120 & 140 hp. Also the 151 Iron Duke at around 100 hp. They can all be built to impressive power. They can all bolt to all the popular Chevy transmissions standard and automatic. They will fit in your engine bay. There is no need to Fordicate your suspension either unless you want to drag the running boards on the ground. A bit of spring tuning and available dropped axles will ge a decent ride height. I don't know what size the Toyota brakes are but if you run the '49 and older Huck front brakes the 20s Chevy wire spoke wheels will bolt up. I'm looking into the possibility of running the Huck drums with the Bendix brakes. The wires came in several sizes including 17", 18" one 19". Mine are 19".
    Did your truck come with a stock engine? Those can be built to do the kind of driving you describe. The truck I posted pictures of above will cruse at 60+ mph. You have a ton of options.

tb33anda3rd and wood remover like this.
  26. I'll second what he said.

wood remover likes this.
  27. Definetly a ford crowd out there , cracks me up all the time how many look for parts or sell parts and their only description is 32 or 34 ,
    like there is no other make of car on the planet !!! Sometimes I reply with a correct year of Chevy part , and will even get an apology LOL

28. Here are some reference photos for the Termites and Bowties public library, in case someone out there ever gets a 1927 Chev cab. This is not my truck so I am not versed in many aspects of its history, but I did snap the pictures during my search for answers on my 1929 Chev Cab. I didn't get many answers by the way. I am still in dire need of pictures of the same areas of a 29 if anyone out there can provide any.

27 chev truck Sept 2 07 015b.jpg
    27 chev truck Sept 2 07 001b.jpg
    27 chev truck Sept 2 07 022b.jpg

27 chev truck Sept 2 07 002b.jpg
    27 chev truck Sept 2 07 008b.jpg

27 chev truck Sept 2 07 009b.jpg
    27 chev truck Sept 2 07 005b.jpg
    27 chev truck Sept 2 07 006b.jpg

27 chev truck Sept 2 07 007b.jpg
    27 chev truck Sept 2 07 014b.jpg

27 chev truck Sept 2 07 023b.jpg

Bowtie Coupe and biggeorge like this.
  29. madmike3434

madmike3434

Sheep Rodder.jpg
    Went to the CAN-NATS around 1975, motel had bunch of Toronto 32 ford freakoids staying there and espousing about the benefits of the ONLY car ever made worth owning , a 1932 ford.
    When I mentioned they were so hard core, which of them was staying in UNIT 32 . Set off a rumpus over the screen door to the room with the 32 on it, got ripped right off the hinges.

Still makes me laugh...............
    mike lynch.. madmike3434

mgtstumpy, Bowtie Coupe and GuyW like this.
  30. 67 Cougar

67 Cougar
    from Wisconsin

Pensive,
    Thanks for all the great photos, and the comments on my other post in the Newbe section. It helps a lot. And 6ball thanks for spelling out all the options for a 4 cylinder with a bit more power to it as well as the other options I would have before me. Now that you mention it, I should research what might be out there in the way of 4 cylinder diesel maybe? The only thing that comes to mind right off the top is the VW engines. I have a 89 Toyota truck I am wanting to sell that I actually have set up to run on wood gas if anyone knows what that is. Anyway, those 22res' are nice little motors, but I think I would be swearing to bring either one of those options up :)
    The box I want to use is sitting in the fence line at our farm. The truck frame was cut, and folded to make it into a trailer. It is, or at least has an old GMC tailgate on it and the bubble fenders. I'm guessing late 30s early 40s box.
    Lot's of ideas.
    David