Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Ford 3W Build "Marilyn"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DylanHill1931, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Great information thank you very much I really like this stance! And was really wondering how much of a difference the 40 spring would make glad to hear the ride is smoother, and sorry bout the head trauma glad you’re doing well now

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Hello everyone sorry for the absence for anyone following this build not much done to the coupe as funds got pretty tight and I actually started another project to flip for some money, I’m throwing out the name of my new build with caution as well because there are many types of these built mine is built solely around parts that I have leftover from the coupe and whatever I can make. I am building a ratrod.... here are a few pics of beginning to where it’s at now. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] My father sitting in it
    [​IMG] myself in the drivers seat and my father next to me, this is pretty much where it’s at now with the exception of a few small things but onto The Coupe!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] collected a few things for the coupe like a nice original seat, few more patch panels, a aftermarket Aristocrat instrument panel a very nice original hood and got it rolling! I did give the original front to a friend who is building a rat as well, am not using mech. Brakes anyways so I didn’t much care. But there’s a small update for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

oliver westlund, brEad, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  3. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Thanks for the update, keep at it.

Stogy and DylanHill1931 like this.
  4. Definitely will, the coupe isn’t going anywhere, and I won’t sell it, using the money from this “ratrod” to use to build the coupe

Stogy and spurgeonforge like this.
  5. loudbang

loudbang

Oh NO another gone to the dark side.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Labor must be worth zero, just sell the parts. Bob

DylanHill1931 likes this.
  7. Hahaha no, this is my one and only “ratrod” the coupe is next

8. I thought about it and had parts listed for a while with no hits, I figured all the cutting I did on the first cowl deterred a lot of people from buying it, everything is leftover parts or like the body, handmade, just having fun doing a friendly “build off” with 4 other guys, don’t loose hope in me, it’s all for fun....as this hobby/lifestyle should be

oliver westlund, brEad, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

great projects im envious

DylanHill1931 likes this.
  10. No need to be envious brother, just gotta build whatever you vision! I love traditional hotrods, but I have to say that it is nice to build a car without guidelines and people saying what’s right and wrong.

spurgeonforge likes this.
  11. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Some might call it education ,or gaining better skills , I wouldn’t nessesarily call it a rat , some of them out of the box cars can be a fun deviation , to me a rat rod these days is sawblade steeringwheels chainlink frame rails totally undrivable

12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

if I was starting from here id love to build a 2 door woody trad custom.!![​IMG]

13. All you need is a Cowl bud! I’m not much of a carpenter so making a Roadster body seemed more achievable

oliver westlund and brEad like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It unusual but not...your methods so far don't talk Rat to me so why call it that, I rather you said a non typical Hotrod. Those side body panels are pretty cool...I think you have been around here and the Traditional bug has bitten you a bit...have fun you two...hey your still doing a 3 window right? You have so many projects going on I'm not sure which path I'm on :confused:...by the way heres a video the music's kinda Hokey but that should clarify what I'm trying to say...remember the images are in the period of say 50-60ish...remember they built super low Model As in the early 50s.
    And remember we do suggest this and that but salt is always to be considered...many Hotrods were unusual...I like to refer to many as trendsetters...

Many of these were posted in this thread over the years and here they are posted together in a slide show...raw n' wild

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...genized-hotrods.1002926/page-90#post-12934583

Theres some pretty crude stuff here but the R Reference is not what it's about...

Now your not done yet so perhaps things may change but all I see now is a cool Father and son in a Hotrod...;)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Dyce and DylanHill1931 like this.
  15. I like the “non typical Hotrod” name a lot better than rat rod, have been told a few times than this is more of a Hotrod that would have been built back then, everything I am doing on the car is done with some sort of quality level in mind, all welds have been done correctly nothing has been “X or stitch” welded that shouldn’t be. I called it a rat as the body was homemade and I was literally using leftover or free parts to build this car, motor is a 3.8l v6 and trans is a turbo 350, rear is an s10 but everything is built low styled with traditional roots. I want the car to look like a Hotrod when I’m done but it has prison bus seats, boat steering wheel and instrument panel etc. just having some fun. And YES!!! I am definitely still building the 3 Window! Didn’t mean to turn this thread into the Roadster just wanted to let everyone know what I got going on! And thank you for the kindness! Very much appreciated and it’s fun building a car along side my pops. That’s his RPU he’s making in the background.

oliver westlund, Stogy and brEad like this.
  16. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

DylanHill1931, Stogy and brEad like this.
  17. Lost track of this thread a long time ago. Glad it resurfaced. I’m subscribed now so I don’t miss any more updates. I have to agree with @thirtytwo and @Stogy that the roadster doesn’t deserve the RR classification when it is built with attention to quality. I’d just call it “scratch-built” or “home-built”.

Really like the 3 window build, too! Carry on!

DylanHill1931, TomT and Stogy like this.
  18. Well thanks man I appreciate that! It has been a fun little build so far and will be nice to sell seeing as I only have about 1500$ in it at the moment!

Stogy likes this.
  19. Well thanks brother! Definitely nice to hear that is acceptable into the scene! And yes building this car as solid as it can be with as little money as possible!

And thank you! The coupe is the main objective, the Roadster is just a fun build off we got going on that started after we went to a ratrod even and we all realized we had enough parts laying around to build and sell a car for our nice cars! The coupe will be finished!!

Stogy and brEad like this.
  20. The three window coupe has got two more Windows now?

Stogy and DylanHill1931 like this.
  21. Oh no, never cut the body back the 6”. I cut the old body that was beyond toast but then found this body had it blasted and is now awaiting me to work on it

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy Birthday...Hows it going? It's Cake and Metal Sandwich Day...:D

Hope all is well and less 2 windows...;)...Have a Grand Day indeed...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  23. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a 3W that was at this year's Yokohama show. Some of this works well for me, some not so much. Thought the pics might be of use to the OP and the rest of us subscribed to the thread. 78494515_2587229077979492_8488284415594594304_n.jpg 78720481_2499809176904904_2237528290195668992_n.jpg 78600038_720528398353468_2144277072661446656_n.jpg 78846706_2539335392848980_1747754327411261440_n.jpg

oliver westlund, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  25. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does anyone have copies of the original slant window 3W built by Ford? All the previous posts with them have died the photobucket death. :(

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope this gets @DylanHill1931 back on the 3W kick...

The 2 threads below about 'A' Era Prototypes including the 3 Window are on a Fordbarn Thread and a MAFC site below...

Copyof1930ModelAFord3-WindowCoupePr.jpg

images (7).jpeg
    :rolleyes:...this is the Slant Posted Prototype that I believe is Dylan's base for his Project minus mods of course and only he knows what those may be...;)
    Sorry this pic is at a very poor resolution unfortunately...

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81264&showall=1

3windowcoupe.jpg

31swCoupeJavier.jpg

:rolleyes:...https://mafca.com/gallery_strange.html

Credit to Photographer's, Owner's

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@DylanHill1931 time for an update...No pressure whatsoever, I hope all is well your way, just revisiting a youthful view and build on an inspired vision of Model A Hotrod...circa back when you weren't there and I was 5 years old...:D

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]

I miss the progress reports too. Wonder if there are any extra Victoria door tops in the leftovers.

Bob

29. Okay everyone! Sorry for the 2 year hiatus but a lot has happened. I ended up finishing my roadster, met a girl, moved 600 miles and just recently got back on the coupe after I sold the roadster for some coin to build the 3 window! IMG_5270.JPG IMG_5271.JPG
    A lot of progress on the coupe recently which is very exciting and from my last post to this one I do believe she has gained a lot of attitude. I ended up going more on the Hotrod side of the build than I originally intended for the car but I feel I made the right call. Have had a lot of tips and assistance along the way from Eli English and the guys from the Tornados CC up here in New Hampshire where I’m living now and they have inspired some of the changes to the car!
    View attachment 5018978
    View attachment 5018979
    View attachment 5018980
    View attachment 5018982
    View attachment 5018983
    View attachment 5018984
    View attachment 5018985
    this repop 32 frame had been cut up and floating around my hometown of VA Beach, VA for years, my father had acquired it and I talked him into a trade for my very nice A frame which he needed for his sedan. So then the task of making the missing kick up and welding all 7 pieces back together. View attachment 5018986 View attachment 5018987 View attachment 5018988 id call this a success! It’s rolling again after an entire weekend of work to sort out the frame aha View attachment 5018990 my gas station sandwich of a car on the transport up to NH! View attachment 5018992 an old race Flathead I picked up for short money from a local junkyard! Has isky double springs, Johnson adj lifters and a cam that had its info ground off (from what I was told with the cast iron intake and single pot carb) it was probably a roundy-round car running in stock class although it was bored to 3 3/8 aha View attachment 5018993 my father out doing his thing stumbled across this rare Edelbrock Regular high rise intake that he gifted to me as a birthday present View attachment 5018994 View attachment 5018996 View attachment 5018997 View attachment 5018999 View attachment 5019000 View attachment 5019001 made the executive decision and cut off the frame horns for the El Mirage look! I love it! View attachment 5019002 View attachment 5019003 View attachment 5019004 View attachment 5019005 View attachment 5019006 View attachment 5019007

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  30. Hopefully the attachments above go through I’m having trouble on my end viewing them unless I click on a picture

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.