Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Who drives their Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 36 Penny Coupe, Feb 1, 2019.

1. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

Tonight after a long 11 hour work day I finally made it home for some dinner with my kids before they went off to bed. My wife gave me the “you would be some amazing if you made a Walmart run” list as usual. As I made my way out the door I decided to drive my 1936 Ford Flathead powered Coupe. It was a full out manual choke start kind of night. Nice and clear with bright stars and about 27 degrees. I backed the car out of the garage and patiently waited for her to get up to temp. As I stood there looking over my car idling in the cold air I couldn’t help but wonder if anyone else drives their car at non traditional times. I made my grocery trip in style and cruised past the kids hanging out at the end of the long parking lot late tonight. I had fond memories of those days with nowhere to go on Friday night and nothing to do but spend time with your girl.
    Now life is much more complicated. I have children from kindergarten age to 21 and life can be stressful. I guess in some ways driving my old Ford can be a breath of fresh air and some kind of therapy. I love the simplicity of an antique car. It is a much needed change in my life away from gadgets and screens.
    Who else finds the charm and imperfections of an old car worth the expense and upkeep just for those moments of escape from 2019?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

2. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I drive mine every day....But then again I dont live in VA..You can be having a crap day and once you hop in ,fire it up and put it gear ...All is good:cool:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

look for current thread by Rocky "I Couldn't Help Myself!!"

36 Penny Coupe and Stogy like this.
  4. I drive mine when it's not storming. 34winteride3.jpg 34walmaart10_18.jpg

5. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An escape? Absolutely. A time machine, even.
    As you said, an escape from the high-tech world of today.
    And for you, a momentary escape from the day-to-day demands of life. Especially a father's/husband's life. What I want to say is, I have much respect for you family guys. You work hard. You sacrifice. You guide and encourage. Yet you find time and energy enough for a little fun. Amazing.

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

They spread so much salt my street looks like the short course at Bonneville. No go

8. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I try to drive one of my cars every day. I actually prefer to drive a vintage car as it takes me back in time to a life and times that I dearly miss. I really have grown tired of the modern world.

9. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

10. I drive mine alot, to Walmart, to Church, or usually anytime the weather is dry. It's always more fun to drive a Hot Rod. Also sometimes it's the best way to relieve stress. Well maybe the second best way!:rolleyes: 20180120_171216.jpg 20180120_172701.jpg 283.jpg 20170924_131506.jpg

11. I have always said-‘I don’t need a car show to have a reason to drive my car’ I love to go for a drive anytime. The simple trips are suddenly transformed into a micro vacation from the day to day.
    Sadly at present it’s 20 below zero with a nice thick film of snow, salt and sand covering all the roads around these parts. So while I dream of warmer temps- my old ride hibernates in its winter spa[​IMG]

12. Lil32

Lil32

I get in mine as much as possible

DSCN4136-1.JPG

13. clem

clem

That’s the whole point of it for me............helps keep my sanity.
    It is quite something to walk out to the garage and jump in a 87 year old car with a 70 year old motor and go for a drive.
    Any excuse, - every week - when it’s not off the road. :(

0C8185EF-4838-4C6E-9A0D-BB2C26A88315.jpeg .

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  14. 61Cruiser

61Cruiser

Firstly, that’s a great looking car. I try to drive my 61 Belair at least once a week even if it’s just to take me dog for a walk somewhere. It’s definitely therapeutic and good for my well being.

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_20181107_163313.jpg

:rolleyes:...yeah it's an escape of sorts...raw, lacking in so many ways...and I'm sure a very personal experience for each of us. I have said it many times here...this style of Hotrod is isolated even in the Hotrod circle here by its inspired period simplicity...but it is what it is...Its idle for the winter but the pic above was the last drive of the year...it dropped to 39°F on the way home that night...I will not drive once the salts down...its like everything again, a choice I have made...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Algoma56, hfh, hotrodharry2 and 19 others like this.
  16. gene-koning

gene-koning

10,000 miles last summer!
    Not in the winter though. The car is pretty helpless in snow, and below 40 degrees its a very cold ride for this wimpy old man. My car gets to spend its winters outside. Right now, its buried under a bunch of snow, and I wouldn't be able to even get it to the street.
    Come spring, anything is a good excuse to go for a ride. Gene

17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

18. I really miss driving them this time of year (winter)..easy for me to make excuses-it's raining, no defroster, poor or non-existent heater, roads are wet/icey, etc. it's like I'm saving them for only the nice sunny day driving.
    It's a bit ironic, since I'm old enough to have driven these cars in all weather conditions back in the day,
    and my cars aren't show cars, just driver quality.
    I make up for it by working on a project car/s all year long.

Good for you guys who drive them year round (guys who live in distinct 4 seasons part of the country).

19. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Too much salt and other chemicals here to drive year around. I do my updates this time of the year so I can cruise from March to December.. I can't wait to try out my Hurst Auto Stick!!!

20. ...I'm havin driving withdrawal symptons as we speak, been a good month since I could get the old iron out,(snow, ice and below zero temps)...can't wait to drive my current project for the first time, drove it back and forth in the shop about 3 feet each way tho.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  21. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I have not driven mine since October. The salt and liquid chlorides used on the roads are so destructive, no way I would subject any vehicle that I care about to such a harsh environment. Subzero temps are not all that fun to drive around in either.

During nicer weather I drive ‘em for running errands, cruise nights, shows or just because I feel like going for a spin. My favorite time is early Sunday mornings when there is very little traffic and the motor seems “happier “ in the cool morning air.

22. partssaloon

partssaloon

kind of the norm driving them everyday here in our town

Stogy likes this.
  23. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

[​IMG]

I drive mine everywhere as much as possible when I don’t need my truck for hauling stuff for the new shop at home. When I grew up guys were brand loyal I think. Now I pass anything from the same era and I get a wave. My wife and I (she owns three of our five Pontiacs) enjoy that. One reason why it won’t be off the road much in 2019...Randy

24. The coupe gets worked on during the crappy winters here in Pa. As soon as it warms up and the drag strips open, its game on. In the summer I drive it every chance I get. Like others have said, it keeps me some what sane. LOL. All I know is, when I fire her up and strap in I instantly feel BETTER.:D

Elcohaulic, Montana1, scott27 and 7 others like this.
  25. F&J

F&J

I'm 67 and my generation was brainwashed on the whole point of life ...
    Well imagine that....... "sometimes shit don't work out for some of us in the end..." I can't afford any daily driver right now, so it's the 32 Ford. Strange thing is that during the long penny pinching build, I insisted on dual wipers, heat and even defrosters...now I know why....

I don't own a TV to avoid deliberate, constant, bad news...<< F'them..... The world around me is great .... I am in my own perfect world behind the wheel.
    DSCN2177.JPG
    stop worrying and start living...

PS, NWS online weather claims near 60F on Tuesday...Oh Baby! ...roll the windows down to hear the big Olds rumble...all freakin day

hfh, Roger Loupias, Boryca and 24 others like this.
  26. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I try to drive mine whenever the weather allows, I live in the Great Rainy Northwest. The rain doesn't bother me, it is just a fact of life here, but the short days affect me due to my night vision sucking pretty badly; I feel like a kid again having to be home before the street lights come on, lol.

I have to confess that my destination determines what I'm going to drive; I wouldn't think of taking my '41 Chevy to the local Walmart. It is a given that it would have door dings or be broken in to when I returned, same thing at the local grocery store. Anything that stands out gets messed with around here. My daily driver looks like hell from the parking lot damage over the years; it was keyed by someone who didn't like the fact that I parked next to her and she couldn't get the cart to the back door (someone was kind enough to tell me about it and gave me her license plate, for all the good it did me). If I can't keep an eye on it or park it away from other cars, I use my daily driver. At least until I get the '51 Ford back on the road; I wouldn't call it a 'rat' but it is not yet painted and the bodywork is still to be done so I don't worry about it- flat black is easy to touch up, lol.

Stogy and Black_Sheep like this.
  27. For the first time in almost 30 years the old beater is off the road and parked at my pal Dave's shop while he is doing the interior, but I have been driving Brenda's wagon a lot and a few short trips in the 50 coupe.

We get very little snow and ice, when that happens I leave the old cars in the garage.HRP

1954_Ford_Wagon_001_t607-vi.jpg

28. OFT

OFT

20181231_104644.jpg Drive it all year.

29. For me, winter is a time for upgrades and repairs. With a virtually rust free body, I'm not going to drive on salted roads.

30. stinger40

stinger40

I drive mine every chance I get, . Need something from the grocery store, sure I will go! Its noisy, rides terrible, hard to see, hard to steer and I love every bit of it! I’ve had it apart for the past 2 months for rewiring and fixing a few other issues. I really miss driving it, it’s still about 6 weeks from being back on the road. My granddaughter was 4 when I bought it, from the first time she saw it she fell in love with it. She asks me every week when is the Model A going to be done so we can go for a ride. IMG_0858.JPG IMG_3749.JPG