Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration I’m a tree hugger, but I’m pretty pissed at this one

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clunker, Jan 31, 2019.

1. [​IMG][​IMG]

This happened two days ago, just parked there for lunch. Had to break out the chain saw and work fast because I had to go get my kids at school in 20 min. (Lord tryin’ to tell me something? Start going to church on Sundays instead of messing around in the garage?)

How about a nice, good humored, self effacing thread with picks of our little obsessions being smacked down by the faits. (Please, none where injuries to real people occurred! After all, these are just “things”, and people are what’s really important. My Caddy being cronched isn’t a tragedy.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  2. cederholm

cederholm

Ouch! That sucks, glad no one was hurt.

~ Carl

clunker likes this.
  3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

4. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Sorry to see that happen to you!! But glad no one got hurt. I can add to this one!! LOL My 1938 Plymouth Coupe. Total loss as you can tell. 38 Ply fire.jpg frt qtr view.jpg totalled 38 Plymouth.jpg

clunker likes this.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, crap. Looks like the hood took the brunt of the injury. Didn't really mess anything else up much?...or am I missing it? Should be able to get another hood for not too much $? Fix the fender? But did the windshield get broken? If so, that sucks. Anything can be fixed...but I know...time and money.
    Good luck.

clunker and Bruce Fischer like this.
  6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Wreck.jpg Not gonna buff out.jpg
    My old '51 Ford.

7. 52HardTop

52HardTop

That does suck, absolutely, for sure. Still when you here the crack coming from the woods, turn just in time to see another tree op breaking off, it is a damn shame. Been here for 25 years and watched as the trees have grown so tall. The winters have been pretty hard on them these last few years. The ice has been taking them down all around us..

8. wicarnut

wicarnut

Like your attitude, agree with you on being a tree hugger, you and I are on same page, my retirement home is in a forest, many mature pines surround it, might bite me in A$$ someday, like the tree's and all my physical possessions, cars, etc. But love my family, dogs, life in general.

9. Sporty45

Sporty45

Wow, that's a bummer. But like you say, nobody got hurt, so that is a good thing. Cars can be fixed. Good luck with the repairs! ;)

clunker and Deuces like this.
  10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Wouldn't you know, completely missed the two new disposable cars.

11. My brothers 35 Ford coupe. He and his wife were on their way home from a trip to Diseny world. I had finished painting it the night before their trip. { Porsche indian red }. It caught fire at a traffic light stop. It probably broke a fuel line, and with an electric pump. This was many years ago. What the fire didn't destroy, the tow truck did.:( { SAD } I went and picked them up. The good news was, no one was hurt. Like you said, people are what's important! { Life just happens } 233.jpg ,

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saw a nice, original, '37 Pontiac 2dr that had been in the barn when it fell down and went boom. That Pontiac sure was squarshed.

partsdawg, clunker and Bruce Fischer like this.
  13. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 1990? we had just moved to town from out in the country (a really dumb move:( when we had a Halloween ice storm. We lost power but the local Pizza Joint hadn't so I went and got a pizza, I was able to get the vehicle in the drive (next to a 100 + year old cotton wood) but no further. The next morning a limb had fallen and did damage to the cab and box. If I would have just parked on the street:( I like trees too, just not that one that morning.

clunker likes this.
  14. Damn, sorry to see all the damaged cars. I am a nature fan myself, living in the woods for years in my old house. I have had trees fall on my house, truck and cars. My latest house is still pretty rural but my woods are a fair distance away. I am now a believer in the term, best viewed from afar.

15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

And that's where they do the best. Trees are real purty around houses and along roads, especially in the fall- don't get me wrong - and they are great when they provide shade on the house, but overall they are a just a huge pain in the ass and have come to dislike them for landscaping in some ways. Why?

Let me count the ways. Leaves are a huge nuisance around here, (no burning allowed) falling branches due to ice storms rot, disease, etc are a liability, (as we already see here) they attract insects, buckle sidewalks and roads, and the fast growing weed species often favored by homeowners for quick shade seek out water aggressively including tile drainage systems and water main$.

Removal can be tricky, and yet another expense either for the homeowner or the city (both) Around 1900 they planted American Elm almost exclusively in our town, disease killed every one of them all by about 1970. The city then planted a mix of species to replace them, maples, hackberry, red oak, and ash mostly. The latter all had to be removed last year because of insect disease, they were very commonly planted. There was the usual wailing and rending of garments once everyone found out they had to go.

There is also this weird practice of planting landscape trees directly under power & telephone lines in a lot of places. So they have to come along periodically and "top" the trees.

And you kids get off my lawn!

16. I would cut that tree up and burn it, BTW, is it on your property or someone else?

Randy had a bad run of luck, he drove up from Columbia,S.C. to Georgia for a cruise in and less than a mile away from the show he got rear ended.

He was able to drive the car back home. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. egads

egads

Tornado's suck also !! tornado 114.JPG tornado 133.JPG

clunker likes this.
  18. At first I thought...Christ, that branch doesn't look anywhere near heavy enough to put the nose of that shoebox in the air......then I noticed the jackstands.

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry for every ones loss especially the fires in California. I have no trees on my small part of this earth. I've seen there damage and it hurts.

clunker likes this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

My buddies 50 coupe had a similar thing happen. Very first day he brought it home, parked it in the drive and a tree feel right down the center of the roof/windshield.

clunker likes this.
  21. upspirate

upspirate

Sorry for all your loses.
    I like conservation also with reality thrown in.
    My tree hugger shirt IMG_1329.JPG

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

trees should be banned

Hombre, mad mikey, czuch and 3 others like this.
  23. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Trans went out and had it up on stands to fix it. Big storm, branch came from a tree about 100 yds away. Hit so hard it buckled the dash.

clunker likes this.
  24. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

No pictures, rural route mailman delivering the mail in his 57 Chevy two door wagon (his mail Jeep was inop and the mail must go through) when a heavy rotted tree branch fall (very windy that day) onto his car while he was stuffing my mailbox. This was on a Saturday and I was home. Heard the crash and went out to see what was up, or rather came down. First thing out of his mouth was, "I should of call in sick".

25. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Thankfully the hood and fender took the brunt of it and not the roof and windshield of the Caddy! that would be detrimental.

Sporty45, clunker and Bruce Fischer like this.
  26. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Bad way to lower the front of that Cadilac.

clunker likes this.
  27. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

clunker likes this.
  28. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fuckin' weeds! ;)

I actually rather like trees (and appreciate what they do for us) to look at but not necessarily to care for. We only have one but are surrounded by them on adjoining properties - a small lot by US standards! I hate dealing with other people's leaves though!

Chris

loudbang and clunker like this.
  29. I had some leaves fall on mine. :mad: Had to chop the tree down, and put in a pool. :)

30. williebill

williebill

Not trying to jump on the band wagon, but fuck trees close enough to break my shit.
    Had one take off the corner of the garage years ago... major damage.
    Another wiped out, to the foundation, my kids custom playhouse I designed and built for them years ago.
    Another hit a 50 Merc parts car.
    Torn down my fences in several spots.
    Oh yeah, none of them are my trees... always the neighbors fucking trees.
    At least one of my neighbors will let me cut down the more dangerous ones hanging over my stuff... but I have to pay for the removal.
    Trees are fine far away... not a single tree in my yard, and they still tear up my shit.