Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Old wrecking yards in south ontario.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Jan 30, 2019.

1. C82727E6-5228-4BE2-8785-DBD056F25574.jpeg D6F64553-DE31-4EEB-BEE5-C13197F279BC.jpeg 7A1F0484-8BE4-4F57-8684-DDCD359383BB.jpeg Hey all holed up at home sick as a dog with a cold and a bad sinus infection. Sitting on the couch watching Dukes of Hazzard reruns !
    Every scene with cooters ....( he,he “cooter” )
    Anyways the scenes with cooter wrecking yard got me wondering about old wrecking yards around me...... I don’t know of any!
    Your lucky to find a car from the mid 90’s anymore never mind 70’s and older.
    So anyone know of any around like Pickering to niagra falls ?

3CD49E82-B04F-4BF2-832A-97A02549226F.jpeg
    This is what the weather station says the temperature is outside right now.

catdad49, williebill, scott27 and 2 others like this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ This lady calls her husband and says "it's freezing out and her car wont start and the dash has a picture of a man going to the bathroom"??? Husband says "take a picture of the warning light and send it to me", this is what she sent
    upload_2019-1-30_10-46-57.png
    Stay warm.

3. This how cold it was in the local wrecking yards this morning.
    34C69DA1-1E5A-44C4-BFB6-D67715779A7B.png

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. 20below zero here this AM, sposed to get to -27 or more tonite,..but 40 degrees above zero by Sat/Sun

scotty t and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. 2935ford

2935ford

Tell Canada to shut the door! :)

6. I am a West Coast guy, and the winters in the five years I spent on the prairies in the early 60s, were the toughest years of my life.
    When I left Moose Groin (Jaw), my statement to the group at my beer call was, "I saw the most beautiful sight in my life here, that was Moose Jaw in my rear view mirror for the very last time".
    When I was in pilot training, I used to tease my roomie (who was from a tiny town in Sask), by throwing back the curtains on those cold, miserable days and saying "Look at this, not a hill or tree to spoil the view!"
    The temperature right now is 5C , 42F, and it has only snowed once this year.
    Bob

classiccarjack, fauj and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. 2935ford

2935ford

I spent many years in SoCal.....now, that's West Coast. Several years in Ottawa......now that's frozen! One year in an Ottawa winter the lenses in my glasses fell out it was -40c.....that's North Pole cold!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get well soon!
    My uncle is in Kingston ,Ontario and I have been looking for old cars in junk yards everytime I was visiting him... I found nothing interesting or old car related in any of them. But I´m no local, so I probably missed the good spots. I saw plenty of old trucks and cars on private properties while I was cruising the back roads north of Kingston.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. BJR

BJR

Out my kitchen window this AM. I think it's reading lower then it really is. Phone said -28.
    -38 thermometer.jpg

classiccarjack, j-jock and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. At 8:00 am today it was -44* F here. (Brandon Manitoba) It's -22* F right now and soon to get colder again. - 31* F for tonight.
    We can't shut the door, it's frozen open. :cool:

11. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Sorry dont know of any boneyards in Ontario...it is however 66 degrees in San Diego:D

12. My wife grew up in Presque Isle, Maine. She told me in the winter it was common to be -20 F in the daytime and - 40 F at night. She also said that she walked to school, no school busses then, about 60 years ago. People used to bank their houses in the winter, putting tree boughs, or sod against the foundation walls.

badgascoupe and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. Yeah, pretty cold here in Saskatchewan today. On the topic of wrecking yards....there's not many around here with old iron left. Only a few years ago I sold a 9" ford differential to a guy from Winnipeg for $300. It was just a common ford pickup 9" nothing special. I couldn't believe he couldn't find one closer to home, but the wrecking yards didn't have stuff that old. Also, plain steel ford truck 15" wheels. There's a pretty good amount of that stuff around here yet, but not so much in wrecking yards

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. On the island, there used to be a yard that specialized in older iron , and he used to ship stuff to the US and down east. Most of the stuff was from the 50s and 60s, but there were a few from the 70s. Unfortunately, he became ill and the whole yard was sold off, and a lot of good stuff went to the crusher.
    I am still pissed at myself for not picking up the 9 inch nodular for $125.00. I can't stop thinking about it.
    I haven't been searching for body parts lately, but older stuff is more difficult to find.
    Bob

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. At least at -40, you don't have to worry about the conversion from degrees F to C.
    Bob

dwollam, Truck64 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. CAVEMAN_1960

CAVEMAN_1960
    from Michigan

Minaker's in Picton, Ontario was a really great yard. Up until around 2008 or so they had lots of old stuff going back to the 1920's. Checking on the 'net seems everything was crushed after the original proprietor died. They might still have some parts available as the shop is still open for service.

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  17. Thanks caveman I’ll try.

When I was younger there where a few yards that would have some old stuff.

But most now a days seem to want new stuff that sells quick, crush what’s left and keep that cycle going.
    I know the steel tariffs trump pushed onto us has sent the scrap market a bit wonky here ( don’t want this going political)
    But it seems more people are interested in a quick buck then long term gains at this point.

Heck even that 57 Chevy wagon I asked about, if I had space and time even just to part it out I bet there was close to 10 grand in that car in parts. With the way it was when I saw it worth more as parts then a project.
    Anyways, just makes me sad that I missed “ the good ol’ days of wrecking yards.

When I was in high school lots of my vw , camaro, and minitruck stuff was all pulled out of wrecking yards.... all o/t but fun as all get out and go waking up early on a Saturday and me and my buddies doing the ‘rounds to all the local yards looking for treasure! Lol

18. rusty valley

rusty valley

here's my take on it, years ago all my favorite yards were owned by old guys, i was a young guy. as years pass by, the old guys die off. the kids usually realize there is a pile of money sittin there. they dont like being a grease ball like dad, and never could tell one part from another so they want the money. some times they have a deal with the crusher, some times they sell it as a business. when they sell, the new owner has a big payment to make, and he too looks across the yard and sees money. so they start crushing anything that does not sell on a daily basis. the high scrap prices a few years back really hurt too. here in the midwest you hardly even see dead farm equipment layin around much less 50+ year old cars. times are changin. when i work on my 34 i keep thinking the next guy who works on this car is going to be cutting out all my work to make space for a tesla battery pack

kidcampbell71, fauj and VANDENPLAS like this.
  19. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Back to bone yards, probably not much in Ontario anymore. Used to know a couple that had old cars but that was back decades. A few here in Oregon.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know what they have now but there was old shit ions ago...but they still exist
    Mclean's Auto Wreckers
    12584, Fourth Line Nassagaweya, Rockwood, ON N0B 2K0
    (519) 856-9598
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/b7QCK

This place below is towards Ottawa and has been in business since before you and me were in diapers...Phone with your queries...I bought an old Hubcap from a thirties Plymouth but I'll betch this fella has some pretty cool stuff stashed away...And by the way if your up this way PM me and I will meet you for a beverage and a chat...

Falls Iron.JPG

Falls Iron & Metal
    54 Uphill St, Smiths Falls, ON K7A 4S9
    WX8J+5G Smiths Falls, Ontario
    (613) 283-2240

https://www.nicklinupull.com/upull/
    Nicklin Auto Parts
    7881 Eastview Rd, Guelph, ON

Roblin's Garage
    Fish Lake Rd, Prince Edward, ON K0K 1W0
    http://www.roblins.net/250/index.html ...<this will make you cry the old website

Roblins.JPG

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    kidcampbell71 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

By the way All...Van is Talking Ontario, Canada not Ontario, California...;)

22. The high scrap prices was part of the problem at the time the yard near her went defunct. A lot of good stuff went to the crusher.
    Bob

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  23. Thanks stogy
    I’ll be calling tomorrow and see what’s left
    I’m in the Ottawa area time to time for work.
    Next time I’m there I’ll be sure to give you a buzz... so we can get a buzz :Do_O

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

By the way Van , Even though it's comfy here in So Cal I too have been sick as a dog since GNRS ...seems as though temp don't matter too much.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Last I heard Minaker's was still there, they sold the yard but have several buildings full of old parts including NOS going back to the twenties.

You need to know what you are looking for and if possible, bring your old part along because they have no way of identifying a lot of stuff. But, a friend got NOS brake shoes for a 1927 Star a year ago.

VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  26. Thanks minakers is not far from my parents cottage
    Will check them out in the spring for sure.

My nose feels like someone filled my nostrils with bondo !