Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old Friend - My '46 Pickup Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brett4christ, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Nice story on the truck, now about that dash. What are you going to do about the windshield crank and hardware ?

2. Once I get to that point, I will mount the windshield regulator, make the necessary measurements, and then drill the hole!!

No way on God's green earth that I would omit that windshield crank! My only air conditioner!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  3. Well, a non-update...

My oldest is having lease troubles, so the garage is temporarily doing duty as a storage unit.

Stay tuned...

4. gpohl6

gpohl6

Great job. I am envious of both your skills and your imagination. I'm lucky just to get something done so I don't tear my clothes on it!

brett4christ likes this.
  5. Just a mini-update...

Still running the Daddy-Stor-It out of the garage, but I'm slowly reducing my overload!

I did manage to pick up a couple components for the engine at the Charlotte AutoFair earlier in the month.

Got this nice genuine Carter 625 AFB (no Weber markings)...
    [​IMG]
    It will mount on my C4B that I've had for a while. (Get it...B4C's C4B...:D)

...and a couple old air filter housings to play with...
    [​IMG]

I've been offered a second housing like this one, so I will end up with a dual snorkel piece!

Stay tuned...I'm forgoing a couple shows in order to get a few more tasks done. Wish me luck!!

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  6. brett4christ likes this.
  7. Thanks @Nailhead Jason ! That will definitely get used!

Is that an OOPS on the Hurst mount? ;)

8. Yeah that's an oops, I found it in a barn and for some reason I thought I could cut it up to use on a different motor. Good thing I have a welder!!! @brett4christ

9. Had some garage time last night after rearranging Daddy-Stor-It. Repositioned the rear spring hanger brackets and installed the new shackles. This thing ought to ride NICE!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now that it's sitting on its own, I rolled it out to clean the floor...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  10. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story, 46 Chevy PU is one of my favorite , good luck. Ed.

11. Long overdue.....

I picked up a single-snorkel 283 air cleaner last year with the intent to fab up a dual-snorkel unit. @Nailhead Jason offered up the donor piece a while back and I got to convertin'!!

A cut here....
    [​IMG]

...and here...
    [​IMG]

Then a fit and weld...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not bad for a hack!!
    [​IMG]

12. Next up...Wheels!!!

I thought long and hard about the steel wheels and full covers, and though I really like them, it's just not the look I'm after. As I said before, I have a set of original TorqThrusts that needed attention, the usual cleaning and polishing. So I pulled them out and threw them on for grins & giggles...YUUP! That's the look!!

[​IMG]

Now to address the dull lips! While on stands, I took 320 wet paper and used it dry while spinning the wheel with the free hand. Getting there...think I'll run over them again with 600 and call 'em done!!
    [​IMG]

So I ordered up a set of tires from Coker (using my Alliance discount, of course) and even had them delivered to the Charlotte AutoFair...for FREE!!! (shhh....they're BFG...um...radials)

[​IMG]

Gotta get all 4 wheels cleaned up before I have them mounted.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    swade41 and Thor1 like this.
  13. Due to AADD (Auto Attention Deficit Disorder), I bring you brakes/steering....

I picked up a second-hand set of Chassis Engineering brake/clutch pedals out of the classifieds and started fitting them to the frame/toeboard.

[​IMG]
    As-purchased, there was NO room for my steering column, so I had to have some spacers made.
    [​IMG]

The plastic coat hanger is there for a specific reason....so the brake pedal doesn't fall through the floor and make an unwanted impression on my noggin!! Temporary distraction...carrying on!

But, alas, to get the clutch arm clearance I needed, the pedal bracket has to sit off the frame a bit...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any advice on how to make up the difference???

14. Forgot the "steering" part....

My column, though I may be wrong, appears to be from a '63 Pontiac, probably a Catalina, so at least IT'S traditional....and has tilt!!
    [​IMG]

The connection to my OT rack is posing some "opportunities"! IF I make it a simple run with a hard coupling and two u-joints, it passes about 5" under the CENTER of the dump on my ramhorn manifolds...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@D-Russ has assured me that this is not a big deal and he can help me with the exhaust routing. My backup plan is to use these....
    [​IMG]

15. So, while I deliberated with myself on the pros and cons of each, I moved on...

Paint removal...it's gotta happen sometime! upper cowl is now paint free!
    [​IMG]

swade41 and Thor1 like this.
  16. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brett...

Go, Man, Go!

brett4christ likes this.
  17. Unfortunately, these updates represent about 3 months of “progress”!! All could have been done in a decent week!!

18. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Progress is progress...:)

19. Found a couple more of my truck way back when...

IMG_1803.JPG IMG_1804.JPG IMG_1805.JPG

Summer of 1980!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. Wheels refinished...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tire mounted...

[​IMG]

It'll do!

swade41 and Grandadeo like this.
  21. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Is that a set of those new invisiron radials?

22. Shhhhh! BFG RadialTA 255-70R15 rears & 215/70R15 fronts... Don't say it out loud...you know...moderators?!?!

swade41 likes this.
  23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Everything. In moderation...

24. That’s why I turned the white letters in! Bwahaha!

25. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brett,

Your rolling stock looks pretty sweet. God work.

Steve

brett4christ likes this.
  26. Looks great Brett! Perfect sized for your truck. Be glad you got the tires at Auto Fair, they got real expensive since then.

brett4christ likes this.
  27. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

I said that cause I wasn't smart enough to scroll down to the last picture with the tire mounted!

brett4christ likes this.
  28. @Thor Pun intended?!?!

Thor1 and Nailhead Jason like this.
  29. Got sick and tired of looking at old green/gray/red oxide/rust!

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Yep, fan those faint embers...whatever it takes!

30. Working on center caps...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Flat plates are rear-only. I only found one true center. The other is a trim ring and I’ll have to find chrome dust covers.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    charleyw, swade41 and D-Russ like this.