Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help ID Old American Mags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beachboybob, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Beachboybob

Beachboybob
    from california

Folks: First, thanks in advance for any sound info you can offer on the 1960's vintage real magnesium alloy wheels I have need to authenticate. They were manufactured by American Racing. My contacting AR proved fruitless, because unlike Holley, AR has changed ownership too many times, and have virtually no archival information about their early wheels. Unlike the 1965 AR Mags, which were void of ANY ID marks, these wheels have AR Equipment cast into the backside, as well as several numbers and letters stamped into the inside. They are 15 x 7, and are set up for the spline adapter system developed by AR (?) to allow their use on true knock-off hubs, such as those found on Jags, Healy's, and Cobras. I am trying to determine when these wheels were made, as well as confirm that they are truly old-school rims. In addition to all the codes and AR casting on the inside, the spline adapter is not bolted to the wheel in the same manner as the '65 AR Mags. Comparing the last two images of the spline adapter shows that the wheel in question (freshly walnut shell blasted), has the bolts positioned between the spokes, and not in line with them, as seen in the last photo (soiled adapter and dirty wheel).
    I would greatly appreciate hearing from wheel aficionados about the vintage of the AR wheels in question, since I am considering purchasing them for a 60's splined hub car restoration. I am aware that the front piece to the adapter is missing, so no need to comment on that. Thank you!!
    BeachBoyBob

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

You sure on the Mag? Wonder how close spline is to vette?

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

4. Those are BAD ASS! I've never seen those before. If I had a set of them, I'd have to buy a Vette just so I could run them.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I believe there is been an extensive listing for AR wheels. I think it was posted here, but it may have come from the web. But it is out there.

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

8. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

9. Beachboybob

Beachboybob
    from california