Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage GNRS Clarification and Moderation...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey guys... As you all know, we focus on traditional cars here. However, we typically have a few sidebars during events like the GNRS when the world's of street rods and traditional cars kind of collide with each other.

This always creates a sort of difficult situation for both me and moderators. Do we let the winner of the AMBR slide because... well, it won? And that's pretty damned topical?

In the past, we always have... And we will continue to do so.

But this year I did a shitty job of communicating and some posts got deleted by VOLUNTEER moderators. They were just doing their job... while I wasn't doing mine. So don't get pissed at them. Instead, get pissed at me... That was all my fault. Seriously.

In any case, we do allow a few sidebars for events like this... to a point... and I guess what makes it difficult is that there is no clear line of demarcation for such a thing. I get that... and I guess it just is what it is...

But folks, please don't be pissed at the moderators. Totally not their fault.

Thanks!

Ryan

2. uncle buck

uncle buck

Ryan, If the cars were off topic then we can't fault the moderators for doing their job. We know the rules , and they are constantly getting pushed to the limit. Somebody has to keep us in line , and you can't do it all buddy.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. I can imagine it is difficult for the moderators of a site like the Hamb where their job day in and day out is to keep the focus on Traditional Hot Rods & Customs.

No one should get upset about having a few photos deleted, everyone knows the drill and even though some things are overlooked I can imagine the huge billet wheels will not get a pass. HRP

4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Hey, the Inspectors at El Mirage and Bonneville are volunteers and sometime things get by us. And with a big question we revert to The Boss - Kiwi Steve and he will say if our decision was right or wrong. But he always backs us up.

jimmy six likes this.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Mark stepped down as a moderator because of this mess... and I don't blame him a bit... Again, all my fault.

I just wanted to add a little clarification.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I don't envy you guys at all having to moderate this stuff.

7. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Man, that really sucks BIG time!

8. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

I understand why threads where deleated not being what this forum is all about. My only question about it was that coverage of the GNRS and a select few others had always been allowed. Hopefully now that this is all cleard up when can see some coverage again
    Grerr Pellicer

9. I damned well hate to hear that. Not mad at @Ryan over it. I am disappointed in my fellow experts on any and all subjects. Not that it matters.

I do want to say this Mark (@Moriarity) is my friend. We do not always see eye to eye but that does not change a thing. I am not sure that he is as intelligent as I am ( :rolleyes: ) but he does have something going for him that I do not. He is level headed and does not do anything without thinking about it first. Hopefully he will see this and expletive pay attention. We need men like Mark, hopefully for our sake he will take a break and return.

As for the car in question I guess I did good by not looking. I may or may not have liked it but at least I missed my cance to be involved in the drama.

Moriarity, Chucky, LongT and 4 others like this.
  10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thats a real shame... Mark.. if your reading this... please re-think..... your very valuable here.

Sancho, Moriarity, HunterYJ and 16 others like this.
  11. Graystoke

Graystoke

I'm here to have fun not to piss and moan. I appreciate what you do. Thank you !!!

VANDENPLAS, F&J and dana barlow like this.
  12. F&J

F&J

Hopefully it won't be permanent. Not to sound like drama, but because he always did a great job with the right (courteous) explanations of the rules...Will this site be the same without his input (as more & more new members seem to want to change the site).

pitman, Chucky, Gary Reynolds and 4 others like this.
  13. I know I have posted coverage of shows and have had some photos taken down by a moderator. My view is I was covering a show and wanted to post the variety of what was there. I am a traditional guy in my tastes for hot rods and customs, but I can also apricate the workmanship of others, having built many cars over the years myself. I am here for fun, information and the great people/members. It's a tough job and you (Ryan) do it well. I will go play in the garage now.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Texas Webb and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. In an effort to head off a future mess in a little over a month, how about Ridler Award winner. allowed or not?

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

Mark is a freaking super nice guy. He just sent me a big swatch of interior, from his remnants, left over from his builds. Hopefully a little drama doesn't deter him. He gets it and he does what a moderator has to do. I would say we double his pay Ryan.;)

Moriarity, Chucky, LOST ANGEL and 7 others like this.
  16. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Moderators have a tough job. Mark needs to come back.

17. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Very sorry to here that He is such a wealth of knowledge and hot rod history, the place would NOT be the same without him (and I have no dog in this hunt and personally know no one in this situation), just my opinion.

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. Say it ain't so, Mark is a valuable asset to the Hamb and I am sure he has done a excellent job.

I can honestly say he has deleted a few things I posted and he was doing his job, I was pushing the envelope.

This is a message board for crying out loud, it's not life or death and nothing posted is so important that a vital member has to step down due to a post being deleted.

MARK,, please reconsider. HRP

19. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mark,say it ain't so.You walk the walk..

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man you got that right. I manage real humans and it isn't easy. Supervising a bunch of internet hoodlums, for free? Forgetaboutit!

21. raven

raven

Mark please reconsider.
    We need intelligent people like you to keep us feral children in line (as much as one can do)...
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. slowmotion

slowmotion

I agree with the everybody else. Mark is a huge asset to this site, damn shame to see him leave. Hope that gets worked out.

upspirate and VANDENPLAS like this.
  23. saltracer219

saltracer219

Mark, please reconsider. We really need you here!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  24. 585FC3FF-A820-44B6-84AD-56211EE56F5D.gif

Welp, that sucks.
    Moriarty was great at what he did, and hopefully will come back and do.
    We all know what this site is about, and a lot of us ( me included) do walk the line and walk over the line on occasion.
    Hopefully cooler heads prevaile and mark finds his way back.

25. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Moriarity has helped me in so many ways like fixing my upside down posts, answering questions, giving general help, and yes... explaining why a few of my pictures were deleted because I had brain fade.
    It would be a shame to lose him, or any other moderator because WE cannot act like adults, adhere to the rules, and get into pissing contests with each other for some reason or our ego.
    Ryan made the call and this is his site. Respect the call and move on. There is so much to this site that is good and it would be a shame to ruin it.
    Just my opinion.

26. 2935ford

2935ford

We want Mark back. We want Mark back.

27. Ryan, please tell us the offending member has been called to the front office, I know in the past that members giving moderators grief have been sent packing. HRP

28. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

A suggestion.
    For big events like this and Ridler, let all comments stay. When the show is over, delete the whole article.

upspirate likes this.
  29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No member is at fault. I am. One of those things.

VANDENPLAS and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. Bummer it came to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.