Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods GNRS Winner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Some great cars there this year for sure, of all the entrants I'd be happy if any of about 7 of them wins. That's pretty cool. Sentimental favorite has to be the Tweety Bird. Corey Taulbert's car would be a sweet win. And Bobby Hilton's car is really cool too. The Buick touring car was built by a guy here in my home town, I don't even know him. I'll try to meet him tomorrow when I'm there. Not my favorite car, but it's not bad. I like that he's just a home builder, built everything right there in his garage. Maybe I can get over to his place and check it out up close. I really think next year @Bandit Billy should enter his roadster, and I'm serious about that. What he has done with that car is incredible.

brad2v, Bandit Billy and flatheadpete like this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hell I guess I thought that since everyone knows what this forum is all about that just maybe they would talk about the few traditional builds in the running each year. I guess that is not the case. Maybe it would be best if someone on this thread would start an AMBR social forum, then you can post all the off topic pics you want to. Hell people can even bash me for attempting to keep this board on topic if they like

3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Interesting to see three phaetons in contention. There was a story in Autoweek this morning commenting on the cubic money it takes to get in the hunt. To put it bluntly, I could build a decent driver for the cost of the display stations!

j3harleys likes this.
  5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

According to Tex Smith, the down side of winning is figuring out where to put the trophy! 23702448-000D-4F6E-926D-A567799FC03E.jpeg

For the second year in a row, nobody saw my HAMB/OFC shirt and gave me the secret hand shake

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Blues4U and loudbang like this.
  7. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Here's a easy Way to get full coverage... Well almost full nudity, Put pasty's over the wheels! One of are Great photo shop wizards! Easy! I would at least like to see a juice bar line up? No??

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's hard to pick a favorite out of three or four cars that really do it for me.
    Even after watching the builder explain the wheels on one of the more popular cars (OT wheels in my eye) I got to thinking this morning that those wheels look like enlarged versions of those damned Egg crate wheels that were on mid 70's Grand Prix Pontiacs that I had so damned much trouble with them being out of round or hard to balance back when they were new. Maybe they are more attractive in person than in the video.

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Probably end up being the 33 ford with the huge wheels. That's the kind of car they usually give it to. I hope I'm wrong.....

10. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

11. GEGE

GEGE

Maybe there should be sub title ambr awards?
    1) most money spent.
    2) grade by % of work performed by owner.
    Note: to verify above there would be forms to fill out then a polygraph test.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. GEGE

GEGE

Oh I forgot!
    3) least spent on build!
    4) ? We

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. GEGE

GEGE

15. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

i love a y block and that blue is beautiful, theres my vote

da34guy, HunterYJ and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. I'll be totally surprised if it wins, but my fav is Tweety Bird. It's the only no-apology, gol-durn honest Hot Rod there. Somehow, the guy from the wrong side of the tracks got invited to the party.

Looking at all the rest of these through a 'traditional' lens, second choice is the '33 Phaeton, with a downcheck for the rear wheels and the '27 Phaeton, with two downchecks (ALL the wheels), although I suspect this one on close examination will be infested with billet. And both may have interiors that appear like they were plucked from a late-model Caddy as that seems to be the trend these days.

Also-rans... I really want to like the Y-block powered '32, but he needs to make up his mind; it's got a strong late '60s 'resto-rod' vibe, covers the '50s with the Y-block, and has '40s wheels on it. The fendered A roadster has too much 'pro-street' content even for me.

I don't know what to make of the Buick; it looks like it should have Herbert Hoover in the back seat...

And this probably won't be popular, but I'm thoroughly tired of highboys, particularly so-called 'traditional build' '32s (the two black ones in particular). Somehow these became the 'Holy Grail' of roadsters (in spite of the fact that a '32 only won AMBR once in the first 27 years of the award, and highboys of any sort didn't win very often either) but end up looking so much alike that they should be in their own category. Make each owner furnish a paint chip, and pick one out of a hat for the winner; I doubt if anyone would notice...

17. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

i just read through the tweety build...as much as i love y blocks and that blue, if tweety won it would be the decision most real traditional car guys would be on board with. i need to change my vote haha, fingers crossed for tweety

18. milo1303s

milo1303s

Not to offend anyone but maybe for the the GNRS and AMBR show the site could make a fourm or possible put it in The Antiquated fourm so that the not so internet savy can see the entries!!

19. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Unless you were part of the build team or know the owner why give a shit who wins, I would rather see the cars in the Suede Palace

20. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

So Model A's with an Ardun are off topic ?

Special Ed likes this.
  21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Just the ones with giant billet wheels.....

22. I'm kinda diggin the Buick......it's the oddball in the lineup and will never win, but at least it's something different.

The37Kid likes this.
  23. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the link. Figured there had to be one out there somewhere, I was just too lazy to search!
    Always interesting to see the contenders... and the wanna-be's... I still would like to attend that event someday, just to soak everything in and say that I've been there. There's a ton of history right there on that show floor.

BTW, if anybody here knows Mr. Brennan well enough to get in touch with him, tell him he might want to confirm and/or correct a couple of the car owners' names he has listed in that article. :confused:
    I tried doing that through the contact email link on their website but got this:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently: (email)

Reason: Delivery to 204.237.240.10 failed. Return Code: 550; Return Message: 550 Denied by policy

24. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

25. A Boner

A Boner

Just being in contention is a win! The final pic is a judgement call. Sort of reminds me of last weekends football games.

brad2v likes this.
  26. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looked at them all yesterday. Hard for me to understand wire wheels that look like the wires are .060" diameter and an axle in front of a 32 grille that needs the insert bend back to clear. I don't like axles infront on a Bonneville gas/fuel roadster either.

It must be craftmenship and fit over good taste....but I'm no judge.

a boner, tevintage and Blues4U like this.
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Tim, guess you had to be there to notice the body mods on the brown ARDUN powered car. I really wish that car was running 1940's wheels. Bob

28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Enough is enough. I deleted the billet wheels again. And now this thread is locked

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.