Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how did you paint that? fixtures and taping technics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Thanks Tom, actually, it is a big improvement but the top has a couple ragged edges and abrasions that the dye was not going to hide. the job was to turn a 50/50 car into a 20/20, good at twenty feet or twenty miles per hour.
    this dye was a water borne product and sprayed really well. I sprayed a light coat of water first and let it dry well between coats. it took three coats to hide the black spots.
    I would not hesitate to use it again.

Bowtie Coupe, TFoch and loudbang like this.
  2. CaptainComet

CaptainComet

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Aluminum foil can be super-handy with odd-shaped parts where you need to mask very precisely. I have also used it to mask off underhood hoses, etc, when painting the engine bay in my car.

Another tip ... if painting a bunch of fasteners, use a sheet of cardboard. Cut Xs into it as needed and pierce the hardware into it, so you are only painting the heads of the fasteners. If doing an repair with many different fastener lengths, like a 302 Ford water pump, you can trace the gasket shape and lay them out in their original location. This will save time during reassembly. This sheet of cardboard can be hung in a large (as in Microwave Oven) box to form a small "spray booth". This can be handy for other small items. Use a coat hanger poked through the top. Small pieces can be hung from this. You can also bend the coat hanger to fashion a crank outside of the box. The hanging pieces can be rotated during painting.

I have restored many Redline Hot Wheels (1968 - 1972) , and that box has seen a lot of use. You also can use hemastats (locking medical pliers) to grab small odd shaped parts. These and a gloved hand go a long way.

3. that's brilliant!

loudbang, The37Kid and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  4. 40+ year old Macco paint job. bottoms of both rear fenders rotted at running boards. edge of front fenders rotted at running boards . welded the fenders, changed the running boards, painted the firewall, blended acrylic enamel into the repairs then buffed the shit out of it. dyed the top and cleaned up a few things.
    nice driver. IMG_4344.JPG IMG_4430.JPG IMG_4433.JPG

5. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Another"Spin" on painting wheels.. bungee cord from ceiling an cut wood triangles with drywall screws... Lite spin, Works excellent... As a side note, if you're doing deep dish it won't work, this was plan B KIMG1983.JPG KIMG1982.JPG KIMG4071.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Elcheapo wheel painting jig image.jpg image.jpg

X38, Just Gary, nunattax and 7 others like this.
  7. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Something I whipped up was a curtain made out of a discarded advertising canvas(cab an chassis w/sign on back) to have an area to spray, Used a piece of pipe, two hub's cut of a old home made log splitter, old 035 chain sprocket from gokart day's, Reversible motor An a switch box I made... And of course I needed a door, Old Kodak darkroom door

Attached Files:

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great stone work Hollywood East, what does the out side of the building look like? Bob

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  9. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

facebook_-802718637.jpg
    It was a cold storage building erected in 1881, The first floor is 30" below ground level... There's pic's in my album... Roofed it an Built the Coppola over twenty years ago..

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  10. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

I was gluing in some photos and charts on a college poster assignment one year. I remember using rubber cement to hold those curly photos down without using those old arrow corners. On a scrap piece of plastic, I put the rubber cement brush on the surface in between gluing the photos. When I was finished with the rubber cement on the photos, I was able to put it back in without it hardening on the brush.

The left over rubber cement on the plastic stayed on the surface. Later on, I used that same plastic as a sharp edge for spray painting mouldings and walls against tile. I discovered that the over spray on the plastic with the rubber cement, covered the glue. But, I accidentally rubbed on the cement and it started to peel off. The peel pattern left a straight edge, a curved edge and there was no paint bleeding under any of the edges.

Now, I wondered if it would work like a protective surface on plastic car models, die cast models and thick poster board. So, I tried it and it worked perfectly. After the paint dried off of the body, the rubber cement peeled off of the hood and trunk easily. On the poster board, the glue also peeled off without damaging the paper surface.

Jnaki

Recently, in a hobby shop, this product says it does the same thing, but it is very costly compared to the standard rubber cement bottle. My recent die cast 1/64 truck and sedan had a rubber cement tape job. It left those areas pristine and shiny, while the rest received the full color spray. In the end, the Rubber Cement peeled off and the paint pattern looked like those results in the big car, spray paint booth.
    upload_2019-2-12_3-59-5.png But, not all results will be the same.

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is my multi purpose, home made, one size fits all, wonder tool. Easily configured to paint both sides of your wheels
    upload_2019-2-12_10-47-43.png
    upload_2019-2-12_10-48-11.png
    or with the u joint spreader bars installed and the now red painted wheel holder installed as the horizontal brace "hanging frame"
    upload_2019-2-12_10-48-59.png
    upload_2019-2-12_10-53-41.png

teach'm, nunattax, MP&C and 4 others like this.
  12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

For painting my headlight and tail light housings for my RPU I made up some stands to hold them and then I needed something to spin them.

A turntable from the kitchen supply store and I was good to go.

6E87550C-E67D-4DFC-8048-FDCC124E8D24.jpeg 719A3C39-F2B1-4D75-B268-C0860D630BE6.jpeg 5C2644F6-E46B-4C84-889C-27F0D1DB5583.jpeg DC613114-7BA7-4D62-BDF3-0D6E89664FC3.jpeg 9EB25288-0980-4266-831E-9911CA32C03A.jpeg

MP&C, 36 ROKIT, LAROKE and 6 others like this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF0027.JPG Two drywall screws through the stick and into the belly pan, works great.

14. sort of a taping trick.
    before blasting this seat slider, to prep for paint, I needed blast off the rust and old paint without harming the plastic knob. duck tape works well to protect things while blasting but can be a real pain in the ass to remove. sometimes the glue stays on, so to aid in the removal I use a low stick tape first, then put the duck tape over it. removes easily after blasting. IMG_4639.JPG IMG_4640.JPG IMG_4641.JPG

clem, MP&C, David Gersic and 6 others like this.
  15. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

GOOD JOB

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  16. thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  17. had one stand left and needed to hold an air filter cover up to paint. so I used some plumbers strap, a small piece of wire and a hose clamp to make the extra supports. IMG_4783.JPG IMG_4784.JPG

18. Best thing to remove Duct Tape residue is another piece of Duct Tape. The adhesive will usually stick to itself better than anything else (unless it's so old it's completely dried up. Then tour on your own!).

Sent from my SM-G955F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  20. I used plastic to tape off this car to prime. the plastic is special and has a coating to absorb paint, like paper, and not allow it to blow off when dry, like regular plastic would, when recoating. note it is marked "paint this side". I stretched it over the whole car, then cut out the areas I needed to prime. I used the cut off piece to tape off the inside of the trunk. IMG_6183.JPG IMG_6184.JPG IMG_6185.JPG IMG_6186.JPG

Lil32, MP&C, j hansen and 3 others like this.
  21. ohh and this is what I had to iron out. IMG_5915.JPG IMG_6175.JPG any body have a tail light?

22. Leakie

Leakie

How do you blend in those tape lines on the quarter panel?

loudbang likes this.
  23. the primer doesn't go to the tape. it will be re taped after it is block sanded. I will back tape it at the feature lines and blend the clear where need be, when it comes time to paint. I will post photos if you want when I paint it.

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and Leakie like this.
  24. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

I save the S hooks off broken black rubber tarp straps to hang smallish brackets etc off a rod or whatever else I can find handy. Sometimes using string or wire, and some times even make a small chain of them for extensions when extra length is needed.

Ed

25. this is how I taped this off for paint. I reversed taped off the door jamb on the driver side. I put the tape/paper line, just to the inside of the jamb, then closed the door and folded the paper back. the rolled tape edge will give a "soft" edge to the paint. IMG_6550.JPG IMG_6551.JPG

26. since I have always worked in auto restoration I do not have that much experience with blending paint, so when I get the chance to practice I do. I could have just cleared the passenger quarter panel but I decided to tape off to the body line. I also back taped this and folded it over. I did not spray any color on the side of the quarter and sprayed only the last two coats of clear, the first of which only went half way down, then the last coat to the tape. I then pulled the tape back 1/8" and hit it with just reducer. IMG_6552.JPG
    IMG_6563.JPG IMG_6564.JPG

27. once buffed back tape line is barely visible at the right angle/lighting. out side in daylight impossible to see. IMG_6562.JPG
    IMG_6565.JPG

28. still looking for a tail light. IMG_6566.JPG
    IMG_6567.JPG IMG_6569.JPG

MP&C, Mahty, Bowtie Coupe and 3 others like this.
  29. Leakie

Leakie

Looks good! Thanks for the tutorial.

Bowtie Coupe and tb33anda3rd like this.