Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A Vinyl Top Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dmdeaton, Jan 24, 2019.

1. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I have seen some pics of this somewhere. If it sucks tell me and I will forget all about it. Thinking of peeling my vinyl top off and sprucing up the wooden crossmembers, then building a new top cover out of material. Attached with some snaps, clamps, or whatever looks good and not tacky. Nice days keep it off and let the sunshine in. Yes?? No??
    IMG_0937.JPG

2. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I have no headliner or interior as of yet. Im going with no headliner either way

3. I have seen it done. I like it.

4. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

46CAE3A7-8CA4-4F6A-87F0-AB430180B0F2.jpeg The Gentleman’s coupe, Bob Hilton
    Seen other guys do it too,it’s my plan for my coupe

5. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Not bad at all, don't know if I would trust just the snaps on the front Dino? Looks like you have more on the front than the sides. The green coupe has a rail that looks like its to fold the leading edge into.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I have a snapped tarp (tonneau) on my F100 bed. Front is a rolled seam in channel, which holds fine...I've seen truck tonneaus snapped all the way around, but they have the cab blocking 'lifting air' at the front.
    Methinks the rolled seam in channel at front is the way to go here...Losing the cover at speed would be 'alarming'.
    My former '56 Ford convert had the top open about a foot while street racing one night...about 90, "WHAPP!" Luckily, the rear gypsy was unzipped, slowed to a halt, pulled it down and re-latched. Took awhile to 'relax'!
    Idiot girlfriend had opened the latches, wondering: "What're these?"
    Replaced her at short notice.

7. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Yes, the rolled seam in channel would work and look good if it were blacked out.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

All I can tell you is the owner didn’t say he had any problems with it.

9. I did that with my tudor, I did not trust snaps in the front either so I used these posts that screw into the wood and have a push button on top that releases them. I also sewed in a thin strip of aluminum on the leading edge and that worked fine.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. if I remember right the green coupe had the same "slide in" bead, like truck tonneau covers use.
    also a strip of velcro in addition to the snaps would also make it real hard to come off.

11. 100_5715.JPG
    I used some screw in posts that have a little push button that you push down to release. I think they are roadster side curtain clips. Also sewed in an aluminum strip in the front to keep it straight between the clips.

12. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

I thought about the awning piece like I have attached below. Something less conspicuous would be better though. I personally want something for light rain and parking at hotels.
    Interesting that the snaps at the front are holding up on that Hilton car, I assumed you would need something more robust.

Attached Files:

patmanta likes this.
  13. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I'm going to follow along. I've been pondering a snap tonneau on my 29 PU cab.

14. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Mikey is going to pick mine up to do the upholstery work next week and I need to make a snap decision. Might as well get it all done at once. I am replacing 4 ribs anyway and this would make it a whole lot easier. Whoever put the last top on laid plastic sheet over the ribs anyway. Looks like a plastic chicken coop.
    I am ready to start prying the trim strips off.

15. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Then do I want vinyl or black sunbrella? o_O

46international likes this.
  16. Model s have a rubber not vinyl from the factory. They did not have an insert the top wrapped down to the drip rail.

Ok that BS out of the way. I like the idea of a sedan having a removable insert instead of the original rubber roof. I know that you are not looking for advice here but if it were me I would use Velcro and snaps. It is going to be breezy with just snaps but I have seen inserts with just Velcro fly off. So both gives you the best of both worlds.

17. since the bottom side would be open, I can't see why an upholsterer couldn't add a few straps on the inside for extra strength.

lothiandon1940 and dmdeaton like this.
  18. Rem

Rem

Doesn't sound very waterproof to me? Maybe not an issue where you are, but it would be over here.

warhorseracing likes this.
  19. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

you guys get rain every day!! Its like riding a motorcycle here in Ohio, water resistant not waterproof. I have no wipers anyway.

20. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

That is why I ask so many questions. Good idea

21. chev34ute

chev34ute

I like the idea, however I would look at extra bracing on the inside such as straps around the roof bows for security. That would keep the cover from being stolen when parked.

22. hammerd 31

hammerd 31

go to a canvas shop that does boat work. there are twist snaps that will hold it on.Also there is a very soft rubber sealing material available that can be sewn to the bottom of the material.

23. I did mine with vinyl but if I had it to do over again, I would do it with something that does not stretch so much.

24. ......................and he wasn't shy about driving the heck out of it.:)

25. ................:eek::D

26. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

27. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Black Sunbrella would be cool. Like a nice tight boat cover.

46international likes this.
  28. yes, I sewed an aluminum strip into a pocket on the front edge, To tell the truth, I had to also do that to the rear because at high speed the top would stretch and billow up in the center that is why I said to go with something that will not stretch like vinyl, the sunbrella would be a good choice.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019