Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How hard could it possibly be to drill a hole in a bucket,,,,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jan 24, 2019.

1. And install a 1/2" valve?

I've been all over town and can't find a decent tank fitting or bulkhead fitting Oh there's plenty if you're in Europe. And there's plent if you want to spend $200 or so on it with a 3" hole.

How about a metal bucket that I can weld something too? 31 ga galvanized buckets slightly thicker than a beer can.

Damn,all I want to do is drill a 3/4 hole in the side of bucket, install a 1/2" valve that doesn't leak at the sidewall (it can not leak) and meter how fast the liquid comes out of the bucket. How hard should that be?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

thrift store or garage sale stainless stock pot and weld a steel bung where you screw in your tap

3. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Can it come out of the bottom of the hucket where it is flat and use an elbow and valve? That should make it a lot easier.

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Ahh the simple things in life . :D Murphy'slaw and all that. Does McMaster Carr have plastic valves in their catalog? State deicer tanks used a plastic valve.

5. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Tractor Supply? Or McMaster Carr?

6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

How about a shut off valve like would be on your outside water spigot on the house ? Lowes , Home Depot have them.

squirrel likes this.
  7. Try a restaurant supply Steve. Whether plastic for tea dispenser type or bronze/brass/stainless/galvanized for grease flow dumping. They should have a reasonable bulkhead valve for you.

Hell, Grainger's is another .... from commercial to farm supply ... they have everything to outfit a Guatemalan Army .... but that's a story, for another day. Try Grainger's though. Huge place.

8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

water spigot on a nipple and braze it to the can ?

9. Bear40

Bear40
    from Minnesota

I did it once just to prove I'm smarter than a bucket, but it was a pain in the ass. I'm a stubborn machinist, so I made a couple of heavy washers, one flat on one side, concave on the other, and the other washer flat on one side, convex on the other. Made a couple round rubber gaskets and bolted the whole sandwich together tight through the hole in the bucket using the valve to draw it together. Took about half a day to get what I wanted, but I showed that bucket who's boss!

gas pumper, Hombre, egads and 3 others like this.
  10. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

They make special gaskets for this that Grainger sells, but for the life of me I can't remember...

BRB!

11. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Catch pans/basins for water heaters typically have a plastic nipple fitted to them for drain hose ...check your nearest big box store......

13. noboD

noboD

When I was a kid we had a bucket with a tit out the side to feed calves. I would think you could find one at Tractor Supply or Agway.

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You had me at "with a tit out the side", hell, I'd buy two of them!

15. Home Depot
    Tractor supply
    Rual king
    My local plumbing house
    All Three of my Auto supply guys
    Grainger.
    Nothing-

Closest thing is the Hot water tank drain pan fitting but it's plastic and course thread. I used one and it leaks or if you really tighten the thing up it smushes the gasket and then pours out.

The fitting needs to come off the side.

I'm going to hit the scrap yard and see if I can find a small tank to make a bucket out of. Then I can weld a pipe coupling to it.

16. squirrel

squirrel

less than a minute of googling found a couple :)

igloo.jpeg bucket.png

17. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Just find a brass valve drill a hole and SOLDER it in. No washers no gaskets clean and simple

alanp561 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. Seriously ?? These won't work ? Bulkhead dump valves or bulkhead grease valves. Threaded for hose barb. Guess I misunderstand, maybe.

Screenshot_20190124-133110_Google.jpg Screenshot_20190124-133150_Google.jpg Screenshot_20190124-133253_Google.jpg Screenshot_20190124-133318_Google.jpg

tb33anda3rd and rockable like this.
  19. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tractor supply co., among others. EDIT I see I was about the fourth person to suggest this!
    [​IMG]

juan motime and olscrounger like this.
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

21. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

If you weld on the bucket, use a respirator.
    From OSHA;
    The typical effect of breathing zinc fumes is metal fume fever. One or two hours or more after welding-without proper personal protection-you may experience severe thirst, pain in the legs, shivering, congestion in the head, dryness and tickling of the throat, and a cough. In very bad cases, you may feel severe shivering, a high fever, buzzing in the ears, nausea, vomiting, and even hallucinations and convulsions. Your symptoms will usually last 24 hours.

22. oldolds

oldolds

Go to the oldest plumber in town. He will have what you need in his truck. He will even know what it is called to order another one

clem and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  23. If I were in Australia, India Asia or Europe I'd do down to the local supply and ask for a "tank fitting" , I'd get one of these and I'd be happy- never bothering you guys because I'd be building my little bucket.
    IMG_1882.JPG IMG_1883.JPG

Hnstray likes this.
  24. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

What you nee is a homebrewing bucket with spigot.

alanp561 likes this.
  25. trollst

trollst

Smushes......is that some kind of highly technical term I don't understand? Geesh, you think with all the old car talk here I wouldn't get left behind......

Texas Webb likes this.
  26. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hear ya, but in the UK you'll get some strange looks when asking about fasteners in anything other than metric crap in the local supply joint. Swings and roundabouts!

Chris

27. Interchangeable with smoosh

28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey...31...
    When you went to Home Depot, did you check in the pool, pond and fountain supplies? Simple, inexpensive, plastic bulkheads. You can easily add a valve and other plumbing to it.

Hnstray likes this.
  29. noboD

noboD

I can still smell the horribleness of the dried milk. No wonder they got the shits.

Phillips, juan motime and olscrounger like this.