Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette Gassers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bigalturk1, Mar 23, 2011.

1. loudbang

loudbang

2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Actually thats me in the tower taking the picture I was only 13 yrs old. But that is our car. And I still have it and race it.

Pat

3. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

Tim owns the car and he is putting it back to period, race condition.
    Tim's Hot Rod Shop in Pottstown, PA
    I will PM you.

4. jcwalker215

jcwalker215
    from Horsham PA

5. rooman

rooman

6. loudbang

loudbang

7. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Three wheels off the ground!

[​IMG]

1947knuck, OahuEli, Deuces and 10 others like this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

9. loudbang

loudbang

posted by swi66 in the vintage thread

gas swi66.jpg

loner2, 1947knuck, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  10. rooman

rooman

Bones Balogh--the motor from this car powered Mazmanian's first Willys

Roo

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  11. loudbang

loudbang

12. loudbang

loudbang

loner2, 1947knuck, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

Old Reliable V

gas old reliable V.JPG

loner2, 1947knuck, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  14. loudbang

loudbang

15. loudbang

loudbang

Placke Chevrolet

gas placke chev goog.JPG

Yea yea I know but it's still a gasser :)

55pnt.jpg

16. jimdillon

jimdillon

For awhile I had thought my chopped top 61 Vette was more an altered than a "gasser" but at least today I found that it did run A/G at the 1973 Gatornationals (car#1003). It ran in Modified Eliminator which included most altereds, gas cars, modified production and A & B street roadsters. I guess when I get together with the guys I can say I really have a gasser (LOL). If any of you guys have some old magazine coverage of the 73 Gatornationals it would be cool to see if there are even any pictures (albeit in the background) or any other coverage of the event. Not sure how far it proceeded but still thought it was cool.

101_2509.jpg
    100_2415.jpg
    100_2417.jpg

17. noboD

noboD

That makes it look a LOT better knowing it's a real gasser! It needs to make noise, get to work.

18. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Jim why are you not racing that thing it's so awesome I guess if you get tired of it just sitting there give me a call and lets make it happen

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  19. jimdillon

jimdillon

Jackson like most of us I am trying to do things that tend to make me money to pay the bills as opposed to playing with cars 24/7. I only wish I had a cookie jar big enough to play with this stuff with wild abandon. Truth be told I am not working on any drag cars-my last project got shoved in my trailer so it can gather dust. My current project is a one cylinder 1903 Cadillac which is a handful as I virtually have to redo everything-including a new body (wood and all floor boards etc etc), fabricating all sorts of parts including bolts, nuts, brackets, u-bolts, hangers for the springs, etc. Working on welding up and repairing fender brackets today and when done will make fender bucks and then new fenders (original fenders are somewhat sad-an aside is welding up the parts on this car amazes me at how nice the steel welds). Add into that I still help the wife with her real estate career and take care of the farm we have-I only wish I was working on drag cars.

When spring gets here I will play hooky a little bit and get my Vettes that can make it down the track without too much fanfare in some form of shape for the upcoming "season". Hope to see you again this year at Byron and who knows Great Lakes. The other side of the coin is it would never pass tech unless I made some serious changes to the car which I am not sure I want to do. When I sit in the car I wonder how in the hell Lou Price who owned and drove the car rowed a four speed while sitting in a rockered seat. Looking out that windshield with the scoop gives one a sort of tunnel vision if you know what I mean.

Thor1, chryslerfan55, jammer and 7 others like this.
  20. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well Jim I understand taking care of business and I hope to see you this summer as well but I could see some updates and definitely a 4speed in that car as of now my plan is to make it to Great Lakes and I have a new afx dodge that you are gonna love to see you should load up that corvette and come to George rays with us in may

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, enloe, Baron and 2 others like this.
  21. noboD

noboD

Jim, if I remember right your '03 is not considered an A? There's a brief article about early Cadillacs in the newest HCCA magazine.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  22. jimdillon

jimdillon

Doug I wrote an article for the HCCA some years ago on the real early cars. Any way you can scan the new article or even a zerox? I no longer belong to the HCCA. Who knows all of the technicalities on the early cars to a certainty. You could fit all of the world's experts in a 50s/60s phone booth.

23. noboD

noboD

It was written by Dick Phillipi. I will scan it and send to you. He says possibly three 1903's then later says 2000 Model A 1903's.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  24. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Jim,
    I wish you wouldn't post pictures of the chopped Vette. I'm just getting one of my many projects closer to being a car again and this derails my thinking. I had a '56 that I drove on the street and eventually built into a drag car. With no time to race, I sold it. Appreciated it while I had it, but it left a void.
    Now I see yours and think, " I could build a better version of my old car with that."
    There is something that keeps me coming back. I know that it is the chop. And, the whole idea of a lightweight, BIG BLOCK, 4 Speed, Vette Gasser.
    Please just give me a number so I can put it out of my mind as being out of my league.

What are your plans for Autorama? I'm chaperoning a field trip of students from the tech school I retired from, on Friday. Maybe see you there?

25. jimdillon

jimdillon

Bruce I am going as a spectator only (you should look up Mike Certo with his newly finished 59 Vette there). I went with Mike when he first looked at the car in real tough shape-we pushed it in my trailer (and got some guys to lift the finished engine which had been in the guys basement) and now he finally has a pretty nice car to drive starting this spring. I probably will go down on Friday and will PM you my number-maybe we can meet up where Mike has his car.

As to my 61 my wife thinks I am dreaming with thoughts of redoing the car but the car still makes me chuckle every time I walk by it so not so sure if it is going to go anywhere right now.

26. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I don't even want it right now. I just want it to stop haunting me! Don't sell it to one of these other yahoos on here, either. ;)

27. Crazy Grandpa

Crazy Grandpa
    from Ohio

I just wanted to thank everyone again for doing such a great job of preserving the history of Nostalgic Corvette drag racing. This is a amazing resource for all of us enthusiasts, plus its fun to look at :) b:w burnout.jpg

28. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1957 Corvette IMG_20190206_212145_937.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

Just read through the whole thread. I'm a Ford guy but damn these Vettes are gooood looookin!

30. loudbang

loudbang