Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods OHIO--1994--Yellow 35 Ford Phaeton--Anyone recall it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Rinaldi, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

In about 1988 (or so) Rich Law sold his '35 Ford hump back Phaeton. School Bus Yellow, black interior, black lift off top, 351 Cleveland Ford with a C4. It was the original fun for all Hot Rod. In 1994 Rich's wife Maureen located the car in Ohio and made an attempt to buy it back, as an anniversary gift, without success. Now is a rough time in Rich's life and his bucket list has a major request----To find out what ever happened to the Phaeton he built way back when.
    The car started life as a 35 Ford hump back 4dr sedan. Rich had a friend with an original Phaeton so Rich copied the door tops, rear top boot area and even scored an original roadster cowl and blended in the cowl lines to the doors. Chopped the windshield and made the nicely fitted and properly looking top frame and covered it in black top vinyl and paint it bright assed school bus yellow. The front end was a Corvair (typical of the day) and a 57 Chevy rear with parallel springs.
    Rich has been playing this beloved Hot Rod game for over 50 years (His current ride is a SWEET red 38 Ford coupe) It sure would mean a lot to him to find out what ever happened to his first really nice Hot Rod. Help a fellow rodder out. Bill Rinaldi 219-757-1138

Stu D Baker likes this.
  2. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

3. Bill, I remember seeing that car on my way home from work in Oak Lawn, years ago. I always thought it was pretty sweet. I met
    Rich when I was selling my 38 humpback, he came over in his candy red 38 coupe, another nice ride. The only picture I have of it is in my tiny brain, sorry. Mitch.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The story doesn't ring any bells. Please post a picture?
    I'd bet someone around has seen it lately.

5. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Here's a bump for you. Sorry I don't know where it's at.

6. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Bump for Richie Law.

7. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

I'm really having problems trying to post pictures and the CHAOS of the move has not made it easier. I'll try to post pictures but I really need help from the OHIO old timers, not too many YELLOW 35 Phaetons around, even back then. Bill

8. socal34

socal34

I remember seeing it and I think I even talk to him, I believe it was for sale at the time. I was looking at my old pictures for it but have not found any so far.

9. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

10. Fordors

Fordors

Bill, I just ran across this and thought of this thread right away. I think this was taken at a Windy City Street Rods run, but I don't recall where, but it was in 1976.

Scan_0190.jpg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    BigO, jim32 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

THATS THE CAR!!! The backside is a trunk (as opposed to a"flat back") and a black spare tire. It ultametley went to Ohio, where Richie lost track of it. My guess it's sitting in somebodies garage as a "someday I'll put it back on the street after sitting foe 15/20 years". It's got too distinctive of a look. SOMEBODIES got to have a clue!!! Any clues please PM me. Thanks for the picture, I've got a few, just can't post them. Bill Rinaldi

BigO and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. This was taken at one of the NSRA Nats in St Paul. A friend's wife (R.I.P. Millie) hated red.

Millie Aint Red.jpg

BigO and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. Fordors

Fordors

Similar but not matching. I guess anything is possible but Rich built his from a Fordor and the blue one is a reworked Tudor. Or were the rear doors filled in and a hinged front seat back get put in to access the rear?

14. I thought maybe they filled doors which is why I posted it. Maybe some of the chassis pictures will help rule in or out if it was Rich Laws even if the corvair front and 57 chevy rear are not there also. A lot of changes could have been made in 30 years.

15. Nice car.

16. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Blue car could be it with filled rear doors. Doesn't look to have started as a 2 dr Sedan as the doors look too short.

18. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

It's definitely a four door, filled in..Blu one