Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Which car would you like to see next?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RacingRoger, Jan 23, 2019.

1. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

I'm excited that more and more companies are producing all steel bodies of a few cars and pickups.... I'm hoping this trend continues!

My question to you all is: what HAMB-friendly vehicle should a company produce next? What would you like to see?

I'll go first. I'd like to see a 1933-34 Ford 3 window coupe and a 49 through 51 Merc. (Okay, that's two). And I'd like to see the Merc be offered with standard roof height or chop top. Just sayin'. What say you?

2. Mark Grabo

Mark Grabo
    from Upstate NY

the problem I see with reproducing a 49-51 Merc in a chopped configuration is that everyone has a different opinion on what looks good (straight B pillars or angled)(how much of a chop)( Rear window placement and configuration).But a stock height would give customizers a good building block to start from .

chryslerfan55 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  3. wvenfield

wvenfield

4. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

Point well taken!

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. My issue with reproduction bodies (fiberglass or steel) is that it diminishes the rarity/uniqueness factor of the original cars.
    A couple that come to mind are Cobra's, when I see one on the road, I assume it's a kit/reproduction, therefore nothing that special.
    Another one are '32 Ford roadsters, so many fiberglass ones, and reproduction steel for that matter, that they lost their mystic/cool factor for me.
    And yes, I know what happens when you assume something.
    If I take the time/money to find, and the blood sweat and tears to create my personal taste in an "old" HotRod, I don't want it compared to a "store bought" one.
    Let the bashing start-I have thick skin.

6. Steve's Auto Restorations was making one , not sure if they still do

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

AMC Pacer. No tinted windows. Make the highways a happier place. Tired of anonymous a-hole drivers.

Nothing older.

chevy2tom, Lepus, VANDENPLAS and 3 others like this.
  8. True. I agree.

46international likes this.
  9. adam401

adam401

I would like to see all steel reproductions of current late model vehicles. Then you could put a really old drivetrain in it. Like opposite land version street rod. Think about it. Brand new 2019 Nissan with a flathead. But not a real nissan, a steel reproduction. Even the bumper covers reproduced in steel.
    Mind blown yet? Your welcome.

raven, RacingRoger, RMR&C and 2 others like this.
  10. bct

bct

I think you are missing the point of the hamb. if you cant find a car to build you are not looking hard enough.

Hombre likes this.
  11. badvolvo

badvolvo

I bought a Vette instead of a Cobra just because almost all Cobra's are repops. Now you can buy all the stuff to make your own C1 as well. Still when I see a Cobra, I think repop, when I see a c1, I assume it's real. I may build my stuff a little off topic HAMB, but it's always based on real deal steel.

wvenfield likes this.
  12. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see two sides to this coin. I get what 40FORDPU said. But, I have a friend who him and his son would like to get in the hobby. They can do all the mechanical work, wiring etc. But you wouldn't want them to do any welding or body work. So a new body would be good for them. Or they would have to buy a decent car and probably change most of it. Also, I think something like a new Henry J would be cool. And wouldn't take too much away from the real cars.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    ABONES likes this.
  13. Although not exactly hard to find an original, a 40-41 Ford pickup would be nice to see as a repro.

14. I get confused about this topic when I read what seem to be conflicting statements like
    "I want this segment of the hobby to continue and grow" or "how to get young blood interested"
    Followed by
    " repop bodies are sacrilege" or "fiberglass is the devil" or
    "Repop bodies diminish the value..."
    How can we expect younger folks to "get into" a hobby with a continually decreasing availability of original bodies which sends prices into the stratosphere?
    IMHO the value is in the labor more than the collection of parts. I am not sure exactly how much more soul an original 30 ford coupe rusted halfway up the cowl and doors, with no deck lid sitting on a pallet has over a new brookville body setting on a pallet. After both are built the only difference might be what the title says...
    If we are talking about survivor hot rods then that is a different animal altogether.
    Chappy

15. mark latham

mark latham

I love old stuff and as a welder I feel like a have a connection with steel that most people don't have. That being said, its steel and it's inanimate. I would love to build a fenderless 32 3 window tribute to Fran Hernadez's car one day but if I only use original steel and parts it will never happen.

16. LAROKE

LAROKE

'41 Willys pickup

51 mercules likes this.
  17. BJR

BJR

At what point do people start to say "Look another old Kit car"?

blowby likes this.
  18. Id be happy if someone would make a tilt front end for 37 fords, glass would be great for my race car but steel too

19. I get what you are saying, this is my thought process..I equate it to a new couple buying their first house, they may want one of those McMansions, but their budget only allows for a mobile home.
    So they buy that mobile home, and eventually work their way up, working/saving/sacrificing for that house of their dreams.
    In the car world, starting off with the less than popular, more work required, etc. project car, and eventually working their up to the car of their dreams.
    Anything I've acquired never happened over night.
    I noticed a license plate frame that relates to this, it read "I want it all, and I want it now".

chevyfordman and Cosmo50 like this.
  20. 1937 Fords...all the models Henry made....1937 Chevy coupe and a 1936 Chevy 2 door sedan...then we can build brandy new vintage stock cars again...

MikeC

21. '47 Desoto 4 door!

Frankie47 likes this.
  22. goldmountain

goldmountain

I would like to have a reproduction steel 1953 Corvette just to be different.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

So your Vette is real deal steel? :D

24. badvolvo

badvolvo

As stated, "I bought a Vette". Also stated, "I may build my stuff a little off topic HAMB, but it's always based on real deal steel." I will stand by that comment.
    I bought the Vette, I didn't claim I built it. It came from Chevrolet as fiberglass so, it's still the real deal.

mgtstumpy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  25. wvenfield

wvenfield

There are still tons of bodies out there. It doesn't have to be a 40 or 32 Ford. From what I've seen, repop bodies are as expensive as the real thing at that.

Younger folks aren't going to get into the hobby with the entry price of a Brookville body and all that entails at that.

Cosmo50, Hombre, RMR&C and 1 other person like this.
  26. I’ve seen guys here take a cowl that’s rotted and dented beyond any conceivable point of return. And build a great car around it.
    Heck, I’ve rebuilt some cars that should have been just a parts car.
    But it was my way into the hobby at a price point that I could afford.
    An original steel car will always be worth more then any repop anything.
    But the time spent building one and collecting parts, some can argue that a brookville body is a good deal.

Years ago some company, don’t remember who, built a 69 camaro out of complete repop parts, body seals engine etc etc. The enire car was built out of a parts catalog. It looked like a great original car. The point is it’s a segment of the hobby not the entire hobby.

Why the hell not?

Repop all steel 41 Willys coupe for me !

27. wicarnut

wicarnut

The investment to build the tooling to produce a body is a large $ number and I'm surprised they are as reasonable as they are IMO. As long as we're day dreaming, I like the 58 Chevy Impala hardtop and convertible, would the market support that, no idea.

28. I think the idea of reproduction bodies, steel, or fiberglass has let more people get into our hobby. The reproduction bodies also helped to keep people producing, or reproducing parts for the hobby. Some of the original parts are almost non-existant, or priced at the high end. We should be thankful that someone took the time and expense to make these bodies available. An example is Steve's Auto Restoration, and Dearborn Deuce. Both of them are no longer producing bodies. Steve'e bodies were excellent, but where were the customers for them ? I think that Steve had quite a bit of money , and time invested.

wicarnut likes this.
  29. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

No bashing allowed. Not why I started the thread. I got your thoughts - that's what I wanted. You didn't exactly answer my question (what repro car would you like to see produced), but I think your round-about answered it - *NO* reproduction cars!

30. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

Good point - I hadn't considered that when I posted the question...