Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. jimdillon

jimdillon

Scotty as to the mount that is showing that appears to be similar to the one I have on my car. The Bill Thomas mounts are four pieces. The two tower pieces that bolt to the frame in place of the stock towers (they are similar but not the same). I seem to remember that the BBC is a little longer and so it needs the towers in a different position. The other two pieces bolt to the block and fit kind of like a glove over the tower pieces with the thick rubber cushion in between.

I believe I have an article on the mounts and installation but apparently my filing system is not as good as I thought. Will look for it if you want.

I agree with your other changes that would help tidy it up. Overall pretty nice job though.

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  2. jimdillon

jimdillon

For whatever it is worth (found the file-had it on a thumb drive-no wonder I could not find it).
    Chris I have a picture I thought of a W motor in a 61 or 62 somewhere, although I have not seen it in years (sadly I have spent way too much time collecting pictures with a poor way of filing and finding them later apparently).

Here is an article that shows the Bill Thomas style mounts. IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg

Here is a picture of the Bill Thomas style mounts in my car (that I bought from Vetrod). The painted pieces are the towers and the pieces that bolt up to the block are stainless.
    IMG-6.jpg

Here is a Hurst style mount from ebay. I have a couple I can photograph if anyone would like. Rickie Moore gave me the original Hurst mount he used in his 60 Vette when I bought the chassis and parts. He strengthened his a bit. I also have the original off the chop top 61 I have that carried a BBC as well, although that may be different from stock since Teter built a tube chassis for the car.

Love the big block C1s and the only down side is having to argue the weight issue with Corvette "experts" that may not have a complete grasp on the facts-imagine that.

3. jimdillon

jimdillon

Screwed up and did not load the Hurst mount I referenced.
    BBC mount.jpg

Bowtie Coupe, Deuces, enloe and 4 others like this.
  4. Anyone seen this one for sale? Pic said it was recently on Craigslist...all I find on there is junk anymore.. F6F74F2A-9636-4437-A082-D3AECC4F8E71.jpeg

5. jimdillon

jimdillon

Cool if it was on Craigslist-but what city? If it was on Craigslist I would like to read the listing. This car was heavily modified and raced out in the Southern California area for a few years. I know one of the drivers for the car was looking for it a few years ago. I am sure he would like to buy it.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  6. Jim I've got a knock off of the hurst mount for a "w". I've had several 348's, 409's over the years and have always loved them. I'm also loving the BBC idea especially with a tripower. Dad insisted that i do what i want with the 57 so i'm just trying find which direction i want to go with it. There are too many cool options! A good buddy has a 348 with a tripower that i can acquire, I've got several large and small journal 327's, roller cam 350, factory dual wcfb"s, etc. I’ve even got a Chrysler Hemi that would look cool in there!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Bowtie Coupe, enloe and loudbang like this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Such as
    "My uncle ordered the 348 option in his 58 Vette, they only made three of them you know".
    Been in that boat Jim, all you can do is say "cool" and pretend you gotta run to the crapper.
    That way you don't have to chew your own leg off to get away.

8. jimdillon

jimdillon

Doug, when we went to the Hines Drive Cruise this year as a club, I parked next to Eddie with his 57. This guy walks up and says to me" you know this is what saved the Vette in 57." I asked him what saved it and he said the 409. Eddie had heard enough and walked away but I trying to suppress laughter asked him "what are you talking about?" The guy says the 409 so I just said yeh you're right.

It is not restricted to just Chevy guys though. I have guys swear to me when they see my 61 Starliner that their buddy had a 406, one of the late 61s that got it. I used to argue but not anymore. Almost like we are living in a Seinfeld script.

Scotty I know what you mean about making up your mind about which way to go. The battle in your mind and the final conclusion you come to makes the hobby somewhat special. I suppose that is why I appreciate the modified versus stock dilemma. I have not started my cars in awhile but had to host my car club meeting this month and when I moved my avatar car to make room, it stirred the soul for some reason. For me personally a stock example (short of a race ready big tank car) I do not believe would do the same. Good luck with your decision but I hope you enjoy the process.

There are ways to lighten up the big block, but I am not so sure with the hemi. There is one of them around as well but parts may be harder to come by. With the big block you should be able to get headers from Tubular Automotive and the mounts are more available etc. What a choice.

9. The one thing I know for sure is Dad would haunt me if I restored it!

mkebaird, Bowtie Coupe, enloe and 3 others like this.
  10. Here's some more interweb pics I swiped. 001.jpg i-Qf9F8M6-XL (1).jpg 1-chevrolet-motor.jpg

11. jimdillon

jimdillon

Cool pics. Always wanted a W motor but such is not meant to be. They look cool and with the right cam they sound mean. Now with aluminum heads, aluminum intake and water pump the extra weight is minimal (if at all). My 327 with all of the standard underhood components is heavier than my 427.

12. I’ve got the major components to copy that black 56!!
    EAF7DC17-4224-42A4-8B17-075007C1192A.jpeg BBBA3FF0-1C89-4445-8071-09411C6E00C5.jpeg

13. jimdillon

jimdillon

Wowser, nice hardware

14. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Here's a shot of mine I took in the drive way after getting home from our local winter indoor car show. It's basically stock but it sure is fun. And I never get tired of looking at it. Or working on it, LOL! brent.jpg

15. rudestude

rudestude

I saw there was some thing mentioned of the split window conversion's....well it's your lucky day I just happen to have a magazine showing that ,and other's, conversion....if any one is interested in doing it to there old Vette ......Hell if someone really wants to try it and they post the progress on the H.A.M.B. I will send you the magazine for free ..... But I will not be responsible for the beating you most likely would receive.....haha....
    There's alot of pictures of some customized early vettes in this book...and I hate to admit it some are not that bad....not that I would do it to one now days ...but if I found one that was done in the day I would probably leave it alone.... IMG_20190123_015531_1~2.jpeg IMG_20190123_015609~2.jpeg IMG_20190123_015633~2.jpeg IMG_20190123_015721_1~2.jpeg IMG_20190123_015750~2.jpeg IMG_20190123_015921_1~2.jpeg

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1947knuck, 31hotrodguy, bald1 and 9 others like this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

Nice skinny little tires on the front of that "Stock" car. :)

17. rudestude

rudestude

18. I’ve got that book stashed somewhere

rudestude and loudbang like this.
  19. loudbang

loudbang

Moon Shot marked B/Sport

hot dino moon shot b sport.JPG

E/S
    hot dino.JPG

20. img006 (Medium) (2).jpg I can't remember if I posted this pic in this thread. it's actually two 57 vettes, on the left is the Black one that i have now, the car on the right was (obviously) a race car under construction that Dad and his buddy started but never finished. Dad said it was sold to a guy in Hebron Indiana. I've asked around but no one i know there remembers it. Anybody recognize the axle? mopar maybe? The engine stand in the lower right of the pic is in my barn now!

21. I might as well post my 60, it was a hot rod. It had 1964 365HP 327. muncie 4spd. 3.55 posi. I ran it with dual wcfb's but I sold it with a single 4brl. IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0540.JPG

22. A few more pics since I'm wasting time. My uncles 57 notice the fender scoops have been removed, same ET wheels that are on my 60 in the Hooters girls pic. I'm the little guy. then a pic of Dads 57 (same ET wheels) my high school camaro and my brothers Rustang. next a pic of me and my brother posing next to Dads 57 I've got my hand on it laying claim! img007 (Medium).jpg img011 (Small).jpg img002 (Medium).jpg

23. Sorry didn’t say anything other than “saw this for sale on Craigslist” Maybe do a search all of craigslist, but I’m sure it’s long gone

loudbang likes this.
  24. jimdillon

jimdillon

Cool pictures Scotty-you are fortunate to have your Dad's car-makes it extra special. I seem to remember you posting a picture of a 58-62 red Corvette with a 348/409 motor but cannot locate it. Do you still have the picture?

LB really like the 62 Moon Shot. Has fuelie emblem, pie crusts, traction masters I believe and a cool set of headers, nice stance and steelies-what more could one want?

25. jimdillon

jimdillon

Loveoftiki, I certainly don't need another project but curious if it really is the car and if it looked legitimate I would have tried to get ahold of the guy in California that drove it when it was later modified. Thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Here ya go Jim
    1A4E6361-0136-4C8F-8439-85311A3221F0.jpeg
    Is that a power steering pump?

27. jimdillon

jimdillon

Thanks Scotty. Chris (Corn Fed) who bought the 61 Vette from a friend's widow recently is contemplating such a swap and wanted to give him the necessary vision, so to speak. My buddy with the 409/57 had to go with those valve covers as well to clear the heater box pieces (as well as move the steering box around 1/4" for clearance). Looks like it belongs although I may opt for the dual quads IMO. It kind of does look like a power steering canister. The big blocks are a tight squeeze with the steering shaft and box when you have to consider headers so he may have changed the steering and decided to go with power.

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  28. 409deuce

409deuce

29. Howza bout a side view? I’m real curious about the rolling stock since loudbang pointed out the skinnies on the front.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    31hotrodguy, UNCLECHET and loudbang like this.
  30. I might have to “re-appropriate “ that name!

loudbang likes this.