Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Trunk mounted battery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Jan 17, 2019.

1. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I did the same thing for my Comet. The bottom of the box was removed and the back has an area where the cables come through a separate panel so the box can be removed without disturbing the cables.
    16CAABCC-74C1-4B85-A72A-438AAA5084AE.jpeg

2. fleetside66

fleetside66

I've got my battery in a Craftsman box, too. I bought that tool box for myself for a X-mas present in '72. Yes, it's sad & pathetic. It works just great...big enough for the battery & some spare parts, vented with an old louvered speaker grill. I'm not sure if the gases are rising or falling, but nothing's blown up in all the years I've been using it.
    P1013750.jpg

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the venting on the Optima, from what I am reading on other sites is that if the sealed box is vented you should be good if it gasses from being overcharged.
    It seems that some of the larger Optimas have a blow out vent elbow while the smaller ones don't.
    I've got three vehicles with the battery either under the back seat or in the trunk from the factory and all are vented to the outside by a hose attached to fittings on the battery designed for that.

4. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I vented my Optima this way....some CPVC pipe, and flexible hose, and a vent thru the inner fender fashioned much like an engine "road draft tube". Haven't blown the trunk lid off yet.:D

Attached Files:

• 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      144.4 KB
      Views:
  5. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I freaking love this:mad:

jakespeed63 likes this.
  6. You do know that now the price of old saw boxes on EPAY HAS quadrupled !

jakespeed63 likes this.
  7. That old toolbox is a great idea. Way better than the typical black plastic box that seems to come std with the trunk mounted battery kits sold everywhere. I am going to file this idea for future use!

jakespeed63 likes this.
  8. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Love what you have done and it looks great too but a metal battery box always scares me should the battery come loose somehow. That's one of the reasons why the plastic ones are used in boats and caravans etc.
    You have insulated connectors which helps but maybe line the inside box surfaces with 1/16"+ rubber sheets and use a non metallic battery clamp too.
    Please don't take these comments as criticism but an old mans experienced advise.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  9. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I have a sealed battery box in the trunk of my A. I drilled a hole at the top side of the box and installed a barbed outlet and vented the box out side the car with a hole in the bottom of the floor. An optima will gas off and does need to be vented outside the car like any battery. The kill switch should be in the cab as well for ease of access in case of an electrical fire at the very least.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

jeepers there were a lot of testy responses on this thread. are you guys getting enough fiber? love the toolbox idea! i was going to use this weird battery box thats vented and latches shut i found at goodwill, no idea what its from, gray with a handle. toolbox is very innovative though

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    jakespeed63 likes this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a tool box, though that is pretty cool, I needed something that fit the surrounding a bit more. I found the Samsonite make up case on some internet site. Stripped the innards, added some liner to make it look cool and a battery mat at the bottom. Left the mirror in the lid, just cuz. Odyssey battery, plumbed to insulated firewall connectors through the case, quick connector on the back for removal.
    upload_2019-1-22_9-48-35.png
    Battery hold down is an aluminum angle piece I had lying around. Later I actually drilled a hole through that bracket and added a nut-zert in the steel trunk floor and used an old valve cover wing-nut to secure the box once installed. There is enough room in the box for the trickle charger and the battery warranty info.
    upload_2019-1-22_9-51-7.png
    These posts move the power out of the box and make a convenient place to jump from.
    upload_2019-1-22_9-52-22.png
    Quick connector, like you would find on a fork lift. NAPA item.
    upload_2019-1-22_9-53-4.png

nochop, alanp561, oldsjoe and 9 others like this.
  12. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

That is really neat!! not ventilated though, grab your umbrella, here comes the shit storm

13. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neat idea using an old tool box to hide the battery. Good idea to have a cut-off switch too, but I would have switched the ground side. Thanks for sharing.

14. CIMG1088.JPG I use an ammo box mounted in the bed of my truck for a battery box. I installed an Optima battery. It has worked just fine for years.
    CIMG1098.JPG

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The vent is there, though not pictured. I put it in the lid above the hinge and vented to the outside. I copied the design for the vent from a taylor cable unit I installed in the trunk of my 442 with the vent at the top of the case.

16. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

whew! that was a close one! just kidding haha your box has me rethinking my approach, its is super clean

Bandit Billy likes this.
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. For all the effort and engineering that went into it, it is almost invisible in the trunk and that is the object of this thread. Some things are better left unseen.

18. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Got a couple of stupid questions. What’s the wire coming out of the open box connected to ?
    Could you post a pic of the vent please ?
    Got a Napa part number on that connector ?
    Thanks , love that set up. Do you look at yourself when you check your battery?

lothiandon1940 and Bandit Billy like this.
  19. low down A

low down A

what is the thought on the battery disconnect switch the hot or the ground thru it?

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will try to remember to take a photo of the vent tube, it is a plastic barbed 90 degree vacuum fitting that I cut off, drilled a small hole in the box, added a grommet and shoved it in.
    The wire you see is the hard wired trickle charger connection, the charger is not installed when that picture was taken.
    I don't have the NAPA number but that battery cable barely fit in it.

AS for the vanity mirror, but of course. :cool:

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As a simple disconnect either will do. But to both disconnect AND kill a running engine (NHRA rules for trunk mounted battery) you have to disrupt the power which includes the feed from the alternator. And the switch must be accessible from outside the car (NHRA trunk mount battery)
    This is the 4 pole kill switch I use
    upload_2019-1-22_13-29-39.png

22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I don’t know the NAPA number of those connectors, we used them for winches and jumper cables. Look in the Borg-Warner buyers guide, available at O ‘rielies for a listing. They come in three sizes the largest rated at 350 Amps. That’s the only one I used to use . You need two, they sell as one. They work great.

Bones

23. RmK57

RmK57

NHRA says battery disconnect on the positive side. I also had to run a separate cable to the alternator to kill the engine. The tech official asked me to rev the engine up to 2000 rpm and then he would hit the switch to make sure it would kill the engine, which it did.

24. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

anybody recognize my battery box??
    20190122_155516.jpg 20190122_155500.jpg

oldsjoe, jakespeed63 and Bandit Billy like this.
  25. .............Great set-up you have there and obviously the red and black cables look good, but it appears that the way you needed to configure the quick disconnect, the little stamped - and + are backwards. Still, a fine looking arrangement. Cool use of the vintage Samsonite bag Nice work. upload_2019-1-22_9-53-4.png

upspirate, Bandit Billy and Dino 64 like this.
  26. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Don, what do you mean by stamped ? Backwards ?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. .....On the grey plastic disconnect the little + and - don't correspond with the leads going into it. Or my eyes are deceiving me.:confused: No big deal as they can only go together (the male and female connectors) one way.

Dino 64 likes this.
  28. The Black (ground) is going into the marked + and the Red (power) is going into the marked -.....

Dino 64 likes this.
  29. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Got it, thanks

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. Dennis D

Dennis D

Get them at any forklift dealer. D

Dino 64 likes this.