Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage State of the hobby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KevKo, Jan 22, 2019.

1. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I have read a lot about the future of our automotive hobby, how it will die because young people aren't interested in old cars, or any cars. I want to tell you about a positive experience I had this past Saturday night.

There is a pretty active traditional car scene in southeast Michigan. There are several clubs and a bunch of shows. Yes, there are more 4-doors than '32 roadsters. And some shock-value RR stuff. But also a lot of really nice stuff.

One of the clubs, Dead Last Detroit, hosts a show in August called the Hamtramck Hustle. It's at Kelly's Bar in Hamtramck, MI, just a small show, some nice cars and bikes, but not "show cars". Music. Lots of laughs. Good times. They've been doing it about 10 years and I've been to them all.

This past Saturday they held the Dead Last No Car Car Show. Same place, same people, but without the cars. Just something fun to do in the winter. We got a bunch of snow Saturday, wasn't sure what to expect, but the place was packed! Young people in their 20's, 30's and 40's. Music. Food. Familiar faces. Laughs. Fun.

So it isn't all doom and gloom.

2. As long as the hamb is around I'm not worried about the demise of hot rods & customs, sure peoples likes & dislikes will change in the future much as they have do since the the first hot rod hit the streets.

With a staggering 323,557 registered members give or take a 100,000 the hamb is holding the torch pretty high. HRP

racer-x, Petejoe, OldBolts and 15 others like this.
  3. All while I sit here worried that gasoline will become so expensive, it will be a luxury to drive gas-powered vehicles in less than 50 years, maybe less. Even Mexican gasoline is becoming an issue.
    I guess I'd be happy to get 20 years out of something that I can drive now. But you guys with long term projects, is it even worth it?
    You guys with children, saying "Im building this for my kid"
    1. Do you think they will really be into cars?
    2. Will they be allowed to drive, or care to drive"
    Alternate fuels no including -electric may have to be something look into.
    I know there are few guys on the board with CNG, propane or diesel. I talking about still running an engine.

The youngest of the guys here are probably in the 16-21 range and they need to get a car running. Then keep it running for 10-15 years right?
    That is why this forum will have change "traditional attitude" in about 20 years or less.

You know when we go to sky on the AACA.org forum and see those old foggies harping about originality. This board is very much the same just a slightly different topic.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Wraith, 55pack, RustyDogg and 2 others like this.
  4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't worry.
    I'm grooming a new little greaser as we speak.
    My buddy...9 year old Zander.
    I'll introduce him to you guys one of these days.

winduptoy, clunker, Joemama and 10 others like this.

5. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am not worried about the state of the hobby. Last June we attended the Hot Rod Dirt Drags in Monte Vista Colorado and I was super surprised at how many families with kids were there. It made the event super enjoyable to see lots of kids there. I grew up involved in AACA and seeing the kids brought back many memories of my youth and car shows.

winduptoy, j3harleys and Tim like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

we're developing lots of alternatives, and as we do so, demand for gasoline goes down...not up....

And it will take a very long time for self driving technology to be able to eliminate human drivers from the road--mainly because of the cost.

The thing about younger folks caring to drive...that's the big thing to note. Yet, it's not something we really need to worry about. We sure care to drive, but when we're gone, that isn't going to matter any more.

7. NewToMeT

NewToMeT

Granted I am very new to the hobby but I guess the state of the hobby depends on what your definition is. If it taking a 30/40s/50s car and modifying it, then it would seem that it would probably die off a getting a hold of that car (for not collector money) is the deciding factor. As to hear my dad tell the stories of the building Rods in the 60s, heading down to the junk yard could net you all kinds of old Model As and what not. He often reminisced about him and his buddies buying cars that would be worth a fortune today, just to be hooligans and ram each other on the highway :)

Are there many 30s fords sitting in junk yards anymore? If the hobby is open to taking a 80s car (that is now almost 40 years old just like the 30s car was in the 60s) then it will live on. Kids starting out dont have collector money...

8. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

there are videos on youtube showing how to build hydrogen kits, raises fuel economy AND horsepower, runs on water man!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

lmao! :)

gimpyshotrods, scott27, hrm2k and 4 others like this.
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Keep a wary eye on the folks prone to make vague pronouncements like "reforming our transportation system", there's a small but highly vocal contingent who seriously don't like cars and personal transportation at all, at least in the hands of the Great Unwashed, one can only surmise antique gasoline fueled hot rods are Not Approved In Any Way.

11. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. elba

elba

It would be neat to have an electric powered street rod that would go 500 miles ! Trust me , like it or not , it will be here someday .

clunker and dan31 like this.
  13. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I think the car hobby is strong and will move forward, now weather we like the direction it goes is another thing.
    The intolerance literally dies off for a new direction as new generations pick up and run with its inturpatations. You can see that on this forum as terms of traditional and antiquated are applied to cars of the 40, 50 and 60s. Contemporary Labels applied to history when neither would have been appropriate.
    Make no mistake the traditional cars here are contemporary, built with modern tech. in welding, bodywork and paint, machine work etc., built to look like something from back in the day but to a standard determination of what that was today.
    Will this continue with today's young people, who knows, what I see is most of today's young people don't want to work and want it given to them and have a fit if it's not.
    There are still some that work and work hard, it's the only way things happen.

14. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

First,
    I want give the Original Poster credit for doing a positive thing. It sounds like they all had a great time with fellowship which is a great positive thing...
    Lastly,
    Usually these "Sake of the Hobby" or "State of the Hobby" topics turn into a doom and gloom "Henny Penny and Chicken Little" ..the end is near! the end is near!
    So what if it is?
    What can you really do about it?
    Are you doing it?
    It reminds me of someone with a possible terminal disease, in that the fear of what may come or is coming, prevents them from enjoying what time they do have left.
    So....smoke 'em if you got them.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

try to stop Hot Rodding and we will riot in the streets again 20190122_120430.jpg

16. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Yup.

IMG_0812.JPG

17. Me? I like pie.

Gary Reynolds and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. belair

belair

with ice cream

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  19. Goodguys events are like that now aren't they?
    Up to 87 or something.
    Those events appear to be alive & well.

20. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Interesting take on future classics by several credible sources; they're are talking about Japanese cars! Check the price of a Datsun 240Z or 510 sedan. America's love affair with the automobile is not dead, it's just taking different directions.

robracer1 and Clay Belt like this.
  21. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

B9528A60-3F6B-4B02-8683-684263A02866.jpeg 8A456B2E-98FD-4965-83F6-2C3A463B18C1.jpeg 15B774E2-7CD3-4AE3-8AAC-B68D8CED9D11.jpeg 9706EE89-E4D5-4399-AA75-DAE209046D78.png It won’t die completely... but I do believe it is definitely fading to a smaller demographic. I’m trying my best on my end. Two little motor heads in the works.

22. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

We’re here, our focus is a little broader though. Turbos will probably replace superchargers as the go to for moar powah, we will probably drop from 8 cylinders being the norm in built cars to 4-6, and the cars will be newer for the most part, but we are out here. I’ve got my bird and I daily a Grand Marquis I’ve been building up. I’ve got a friend with an S10 he’s prepping for a 383 swap and a 1980’s Camaro waiting for the 2.8 he has. Also was working today helping another buddy do an engine swap on a Supra. One of the guys here on campus dailies a blue 1952(?) Chevy sedan, another a clamshell Riviera. We’re out there. We just do what we can with what we’ve got

King ford, clunker, Texas57 and 4 others like this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Already exist and I’m sure it’s quicker than a Flathead lol

24. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

LOL I bet discussion threads here outnumber build threads 10 or more to 1, I would not consider this site a state of the hobby indicator. If it is it looks like the old dudes sitting around dunkin donuts in the morning bullshitting instead of getting something done. I come here for light reading now, the build threads and tech stuff seems to have all but disappeared.

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

^ only if you don’t venture past the first page or two, and if you only click on good thread titles.

Occasionally I stood using other social media and spend way more time on the hamb and in doing so click on lots of Shit I wouldn’t normally. Also delve way deeper page wise.

I find incredible build threads al the time that I’ve missed for months or years just because of a weird or super common thread title.

If you still think there needs to be more build threads then go build something and then put in the hours of time posting it all.

clunker, Texas57, scott27 and 2 others like this.
  26. town sedan

town sedan

When the pushing comes to shoving and the gas has all gone sour the question then becomes...
    How many batteries can be mounted in the trunk of a '32 roadster?
    -Dave

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  27. the biggest problem will be the insurance companies. you need insurance to register a car, that law will never go away. the insurance companies will make it so expensive and lobby to restrict anything other than self driving, crash tested, impact zone, compliant etc......kiss their asses boys.........they hold are future.......

Dino 64 and BamaMav like this.
  28. dan31

dan31

I love the sound of a big block and the smell of race gas as I'm sure most of you do also but i do think there will be a time when the younger set gets into putting electric motors into hot rods . It will never be my "thing" but it may add numbers to the hobby helping to protect it ,hell in some states it may be the only way to enjoy a classic car if we're not careful.

Franco51merc and lumpy 63 like this.
  29. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

The hobby will be fine.

My friends and I are meeting Saturday to work on the Hillman Husky Gasser.
    We’re in our mid 30’s.
    Among us we have 54 Country Squire, 57 belair, 66 valiant, 52 Chevy and some exciting ot cars as well.

Luckily we have some old guys passing on knowledge to us, that’s what it takes to keep things going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk