Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flames, thumbs up or thumbs down?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...That's a finger up Jim...:D...but I'll make the assumption you give flames the thumbs up...​

2. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

It's a personal thing, I know. I always thought they were cool on certain type of old school rods. If done right, it just screams "Old Hotrod". I bought Watson's How to paint flames book and studied it for months. I ended up doing mine "Asymetrical" or Natural type flames.
    Chevy Flames.jpg

Cosmo49, Fordor Ron, Hank37 and 4 others like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10557212.jpg

:rolleyes:...Priceless

Some Awesome Nostalgia
    to glean from...;)

Credit to Photographer, Owner

4. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Well they looked ok on that wall but I've seen some cars that they just don't belong on. Fun to do though.

Stogy likes this.
  5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

[​IMG]
    To me, the flame job on this Nomad is awesome, both with the style of the flames and the colors are great! As stated by many others, there are few that fit the car and look great and a few that look really bad, however most are meh!

6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

IMG_4134.JPG Here is a picture of my 39 Deluxe Ford coupe when I originally built it I painted flames on it and the flames were always on it through 3 or 4 repaints as long as I had the car. I sold the car in 2003 or so and regret to this day of not keeping the car.

Deuces, PONTNAK123, Hank37 and 5 others like this.
  7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My 35 Chebby tub
    20161005_212304.jpg 20161005_212103.jpg

Deuces, NoelC, olscrounger and 4 others like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stumpy that second pic is Psychedelic Man...:D...that's quite the shot...took me a while to figure out what was going on there...;)

So I guess its safe to say your Thumbs Up Eh.​

Fordor Ron, OLDSMAN and mgtstumpy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JHC_903_Pat-Flaherty-49.jpg

:rolleyes:...What a Beauty...

Flames when it's Right it Rocks...;)

NoelC, Hank37, alanp561 and 7 others like this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-6-2_3-2-21.png
    Hello,

While out on a tour of homes with our granddaughter, we happened to meet our niece and her family. we were all gathered in a blocked off street with local merchants displaying their wares and services. Also on this street were a group of hot rods and customs. This has been a draw to get the “men” folks out with their wives and families to see the historic homes in this district. Just so the men don’t feel left out. but, what I saw were more women/girls looking at the cool hot rods and customs on the street. Sure, there were men, but the attractive looking hot rods just draws everyone to the flame…
    upload_2019-6-2_3-4-40.png
    Speaking of flames, this 1934 Ford Sedan was one of the best of the show and stood out from anywhere in the neighborhood. Who wouldn’t stand out with such a cool looking old sedan. The stance was low and stealthy, the features were just right for a hot rod and the paint drew most of the people to come over to see what is what.
    upload_2019-6-2_3-4-57.png
    Jnaki

The detailing of the flames were to my liking with the light blue outlining on the yellow flames. In real life, it is the hottest point is at the tip of the blue flame.

“In a blue flame, two things are happening. First, the flame is very hot. Second, it is gas molecules that are glowing rather than pieces of soot. Very hot gas molecules glow blue.”

This 1934 Ford Sedan had the hot yellow, flame, paint job with the fine blue outline in contrast. Attractive as it was, the flames drew people to the car, like moths get attracted to similar circumstances. It was a nice attraction at this neighborhood car show and home tour.

Granddaughter's observation:
    "Those flames are like the ones you like to draw, ALL of the time..."
    upload_2019-6-2_2-58-56.png 1966

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/friday-art-show12_02_2016.1042052/
    upload_2019-6-2_2-31-30.png

Attached Files:

Stogy, deadbeat, Fordor Ron and 3 others like this.
  11. Flamed48

Flamed48

Stogy, JUNK ROD and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Jeff J

Jeff J

camera phone 198.jpg camera phone 198.jpg camera phone 197.jpg Just some flames that I did on the wife's tool box !

13. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    We were out and about taking some photos of various things in the neighborhood and local So Cal cities. On the way home, there was something to be said about winter sunsets. It had just rained and the local So Cal temperatures were getting low. (not as low as some in the USA) So, photo ops are fun to record.

“The colors of a sunrise or sunset are based on how light is entering and traveling through the atmosphere. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration tells us that dust and pollution particles in the air scatter light and reduce how much makes it to the ground, and thus reduces the intensity of colors at sunrise and sunset. So, when it's hazy out, the sunrise or sunset colors will be more muted. When the air is crisp and clear, these twilight hours will offer up more vibrant colors.”

NOAA states, "Because air circulation is more sluggish during the summer, and because the photo chemical reactions which result in the formation of smog and haze proceed most rapidly at that time of the year, late fall and winter are the most favored times for sunrise and sunset viewing over most of the United States. Pollution climatology also largely explains why the deserts and tropics are noted for their twilight hues: air pollution in these regions is, by comparison, minimal."
    upload_2020-1-10_4-45-49.png

My wife noticed that the sky was getting rather orange on the drive home. We were both amazed at how clear the sky was and was highlighted by the clouds and sunset. Then it hit both of us. The “entity up above” is a very old time hot rodder/custom car guy/girl. With a great sense of humor, he dropped a bomb on everyone.

Old style flames to highlight one of the best So Cal sunsets in recent times during the winter months. Scallops from the 40’s and 50’s highlighted the bright orange/red sky. It was hard to miss, but the ordinary driver on the roads would just look up and see clouds and color.

We saw old school scallops. My wife said, “Those look like what you draw on most everything…” she was implying that I draw flames on table tops at restaurants with white drawing paper as table covers, art drawing books from our granddaughter, and most notepads laying around on and in the desk drawers. When we were in college classes together, the scallop/flame drawings on my notebooks made the lectures pleasant and bearable.

As we got up to the top of a hill and could see the whole skyline, the nightlights popped up and added to the natural beauty sense. (or the huge entity above us and his sense of humor)
    upload_2020-1-10_4-46-24.png

Jnaki

My wife was not wrong… and it gave us both a laugh and sense of satisfaction at what nature and the big entity in th
    e sky above, gave So Cal in one twilight moment of color. It was definitely an old school, hot rod, flame paint job in the sky.

upload_2020-1-10_4-48-12.png

And a little variation:
    upload_2020-1-10_4-48-44.png

Stogy, deadbeat, JUNK ROD and 2 others like this.
  15. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Flames are like Continental kits and visors. You either like or hate them. It really depends on the car whether it enhances the look or is a add on.

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

17. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    How interesting that an early style, even design, flame job is shown on a custom car. That is how we got started in junior high school and continued on in high school, as we refined our techniques. In junior high school, a girl in our art class, told us that flames started with the letter C and when strung together, it makes a series that looks like ocean waves or one side of flames.
    upload_2020-1-10_7-46-43.png or upload_2020-1-10_7-47-59.png
    Then when connected and stretched out, they become flames. Her older brother also liked flames and she watched him do some on his art papers. So, we started our beginner's letter C connection drawings.
    upload_2020-1-10_7-50-38.png upload_2020-1-10_8-8-48.png
    Jnaki

Time flies when your are having fun in school and/or just messing around. In paper drawings, it is fun to draw anything, anywhere. But, after many failed attempts to do actual drawing, spraying, and pinstriping on real bikes, wagons, lawnmowers and one car, they all looked better on paper.
    upload_2020-1-10_8-0-1.png upload_2020-1-10_8-1-44.png
    granddaughter's white shoes...
    upload_2020-1-10_8-2-9.png the latest

18. I am not big on flames personally. For me in my life it has been bad juju for the most part. I flamed my bike one year and it caught fire. Did the same with an car I owned same result. I feel like I have been pushing my luck on my current bike, it was flamed when I got it and I have ridden it for 10 years. But it is currently down for paint no flames.

That said I do appreciate a good flame job. Getting it right is an art and done well on the right car is the real deal.

guthriesmith and Stogy like this.
  19. I've said this before. I originally wasn't gonna flame my Merc. But, when I went to my first primer Nats, there were 5 chopped, black Mercs! I wanted to people to know it was me when they saw my car, so I flammed it. People also think i like flammed everything. Nope. Most flame jobs look like crap. Flames don't make everything look better. GOOD flames make things look better....I'm getting to repaint my Merc, this year. Thought about changing it to one color or something else. Just gonna repaint it the same, but shiney with plenty of clear.....

Surfcityrocker and Special Ed like this.
  20. Special Ed

Special Ed

Long time no see ... ;)
    Happy New Year, man :cool:

Deuces and Stogy like this.
  21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

IMO flames are far more likely to look like crap than to look good. There are some nice flame jobs on this thread, but the overwhelming majority look like ass.

I agree with the guys that say that the 40 Ford is a great canvass for flames, yeah, some great examples here. Another great canvass for flames IMO, maybe as good or better than the 40 Ford is the 57 Chevy.

22. I agree ☝️ and had this debate in my head for a long time when I did my first flame job on what was the most expensive vehicle I had ever owned 26 years ago. I figured it would either look great or ruin it. Turns out it looked pretty decent for my first try and was the beginning of lots of flame jobs to follow mainly on Harleys and custom trucks. Kind of became my signature paint job when I was doing that kind of work full time.

23. Oh, and this is the rendering of what my 15-year-old sons daily driver pu will look like. I think flames can work on these AD trucks too.

06FFBD35-0310-4409-BAF9-3AB7B39C6BAF.jpeg

24. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

25. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I wish I had a car/truck with some flames. Some day I will.

26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sort of over flames. Was into them in the 70s and 80s and even did flame jobs on a couple of my rods
    fla1.jpg
    fla2.jpg

My wife's old grocery-getter when I first got it...WORST FLAMES EVER !!!!
    fla3.jpg
    Finished it off WITHOUT the flames:D
    fla4.jpg

Deuces, Stogy, JUNK ROD and 1 other person like this.
  27. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

There's nothing inappropriate about the topic at hand, or broaching it, if a civil discussion
    evolves. I, myself, don't hate flame jobs (as evidenced by the photos I take) but I've certainly
    gotten tired of them. If you went by photos we've seen in the various car magazines you'd
    think everyone and his brother flamed their cars but it just ain't so. It was one of those things
    we saw only on occasion so our interest was piqued. Imitation may be the sincerest form
    of flattery but there also comes a saturation point where something becomes just plain
    tiresome. To some, not all.

No one's proposing a nationwide ban on cars with flamed paint. This is just one more
    topic to kick around, and it's more interesting than a whole lot of others.

Stogy likes this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your right there's nothing wrong with the Topic, however it's started by one who doesn't like Flames Period and looking for support to bolster how those who laid the Flames that inspired got it ALL wrong ...Holy Larry Watson Batman...

I just think it sets the tone for an ugly thread...but I gave things a go...I'll head for more positive vibes thank you...

Henry 2.jpg

Period Flames

Often Misunderstood

Very Much a Part of the Celebration of Hotrod/Custom

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/just-louvers.1028008/page-50#post-13392204

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  29. 34Larry

34Larry

Just let it go, quick85, Stogy just doesn't like my style and comes down on most everything I post, (Franky I find it quite childish).

quick85 likes this.