Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs New start...1951 Chrysler Custom..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptop40, Nov 9, 2018.

1. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanx Gatz , same thing here, just I can't get as far as you did...I guess that's why if you look at the pics I posted you can see it the deep dish rims front and back...sure looks like a younger crowd car now...glad to have the opportunity to build it....

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Going to bring a tape measure to the storage and I'm gonna get the track width measurements...the more I ponder the build , the more I think a chassis , firewall , floor or partial floor swap would be the best direction....Time , money , a factory engineered platform , drivability , and a single parts source ....

3. gene-koning

gene-koning

My 48 Plymouth coupe is on an 88-90 Dakota frame, The wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface is 60". I'm using the stock Dakota front wheels, they are 6 x 15 with a 5 on 4 1/2" pattern.
    Lots of guys at www.moparts.com in the street rod section are doing 57 Mopars on Dakota frames. I think they would probably work on your 51 Chrysler. Pretty off topic for here, but maybe you will get the info before it disappears. Gene

4. junkman8888

junkman8888

A while back I updated a '49 Wayfarer with a Dakota front frame stub, was lots of work but of course right after it was all tacked in I found a thread that mentioned a much easier way, which is always my luck. The Dakota from frame swap works well, trying to use the entire Dakota frame does not. Best of luck with your project.

5. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Checked into early sixties and some wheel bases matched...Buick full size,,,that would be cool...a 51 with a grafted floor firewall Nail head platform..et al...

6. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Yeah, what a great canvas to start with!!! I've got 2 cents, so I'll throw it in;
    The chop looks good! Really brings the style out and pulls the proportions to where they should be. As unique as that car is, a mild treatment would result in a stunning final car. A partial de-chrome to remove redundant and gaudy barbs is a simple and tasteful method to clean up the looks of nearly every car built in this era. I really like the original grille on that model. It looks custom from the factory! Also, that year Imperial bumpers are amazing looking, (if you can even find a set) as are the Imperial tail lights... mounted lower on the fender, like just above the bumper.
    I.M.O., louvers go in the wrong direction on a classy lookin' rig like yours. (Think Bartalucci, Zocci & D'Augustino) Less is more. I'm looking forward to seeing where this beauty is going...

7. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Shhhh... these cars are still partially under the radar (still affordable) I've got a mild '51 Plymouth that little more than lowered, but seems to be very popular. They ride nicely and have a solid feel. The looks aren't for everyone and that suits me just fine. But when they get the custom treatment, they really stand out! Like the second pic from a post here on the H.A.M.B.... that car is beautiful! Plymouth in Cool, Ca..JPG DSC01764.JPG Plymouth in Cool, Ca..JPG DSC01764.JPG

8. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I vote "YES" to changing the back window... an Imperial or Windsor unit from that era would be; tough to find, difficult to do & Bitchin'!!!

9. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes , a mild dechroming , Spinner hubcaps , and I'd keep recopy the pinstriping that's on the car now...guess the louvers aren't correct for this build..it's ok...ill punch em on the hood on my 49 3 window...Happy New Year to all...

10. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jacksmith , by the way your avatar is my favorite 3 stooges episode..your Plumouth is way nice..did you use Aerostar springs upfront, blocks out back...also ..who owns that Chrysler...I really like the nose treatment, rounded corners and such..

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  11. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well , the purchase of my shop fell through and I listed the 51 for sale...then I had a reality check....when will I get a chance to build a car like this....found cheap storage so I'm keeping it...What was I thinking....stay tuned!!!!

Surfcityrocker, 'Mo and stanlow69 like this.
  12. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Good to hear you're able to hang onto it!

To keep the fire burning, what exterior color do you plan for it? I could take your list and have the Photoshop wizards whip something up for you.

13. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to hear that you're sticking with it. I've been in a similar position in the past, it is never easy to make those decisions.

14. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey hey , thanks...sure ...I like Plum Crazy....had a 37 coupe , straight a axle , 327 ...Matte finish....Hot Rod Flatz ....

15. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had shops and years at a time no place to build cars..Building hot rods takes physical strength , dexterity , problem solving , trial and era...On this build I'd like to definitely do the platform swap...some OT 70s wagons have the same wheelbase..track width on the 51 can be at least 60 inches as the body is much wider than that...Cut the body away from the floor on both cars and viola...weld weld weld...seems easier than what I'm used to doing...

16. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey hey peanut 59 , sure like to get a photoshop in plum crazy...thanks in advance....

17. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

18. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey hey , that's an interesting custom look..can we get one with the stock Look , dechromed , side view also..thanks in advance..

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  19. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Went up to the storage...Damn this Chrysler looks like someone dropped a piano on it...couldnt get my head in the quarter window..I'll get more close up pics soon... image.jpg

20. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I'm not sure what you mean by stock and dechromed...?

21. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Photo shop the original photo...no changes to the grille , etc...I like the stock look without the chrome , except of course the headlight bezels....thanks

22. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

It looks like the back end is just calling out for a continental kit or a rolled pan to me. filename-1 (5).jpg

23. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah , rolled pan is nice...I'm ok without a front bumper , if I hit something it's on me. gotta have a back bumper...geez...people drive crazy these days..figure they hit the bumper instead of the body...just sayin..

jimgoetz likes this.
  24. Hemihead_NHRA

Hemihead_NHRA

Hey @choptop40 I thought I saw your car for sale on a website quite a awhile back, and thought it was pretty slick for what looks to be a (WIP) kustom. I have a 1950 dodge coronet myself, but its a sedan- I was thinking of chopping the top and turning it into a 2 door. I also acquired a pretty clean '55 291 desoto hemi for $950 from up near buffalo NY. Keep your eyes peeled for hemi's- they might be a little price-y to build but they are worth it when they are done! Good Luck and nice ride

classiccarjack likes this.
  25. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Hey Choptop40, I read something about doing serious chassis changes. This is your car, I am only offering a potential cheaper solution here, I am not in anyway telling you how to do your build, so here goes...

The stock suspension on these Chrysler's really aren't bad. They actually handle decently for how large they are. With radial tires this thing may do better than you think. Have you considered putting a engine in it, and driving it to see how it feels before dumping a lot of time and money to turn it into a Ford or Chevy platform? As I restored these "50's" era cars, it seemed like the Chrysler cars were really dialed in and didn't need many mods in the suspension. The same goes for the Cadillac cars I did. The radial tires were the best upgrade one could do on these cars.

The 12" drum brakes on this car are decent, but you will have to adjust them at every oil change. Converting to a 1972 Chrysler disc brake set up will make it stop in a dime. These set ups use the 11.75" factory rotors from a 1970's era Dodge Truck. I have done a few myself. I need 1 spindle to complete the last set I have for my project... Way better and cheaper than the Wilwood stuff I installed over the years...

If you go with the OT Dakota, they do work well. The early trucks used 5 lug rotors, the later chassis used 6 lug in the Gen 1's. They use rack and pinion steering, are coil springed, the steering shafts are factory u-jointed, so you will be able to put the steering anywhere you need it. If you score a 5.2 or 5.9 Magnum, it will catapult that beast nicely.... But a Hemi would be sweeter!!! Yeah!

Can't wait to see how this car turns out. I hope that my suggestions help in some way to save you a lot of green, blood, sweat, and tears...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Yes it's a risk but then I still ride a motorcycle at 72. I just have a soft spot for rolled pans. This was my first car in 63. My dad built the rear pan for me out of 10 ga. It was almost as strong as a bumper. Ha Ha 46077528_2039478409405956_2626282315780718592_n.jpg

27. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10 gauge is pretty heavy to shape , looks great...maybe a rolled pan with removable bumperette or nurfs ...

jimgoetz likes this.
  28. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

As requested:
    tapatalk_1548637588870.jpeg

29. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Peanut...looks good...appreciate it...kinda what I'm thinking...I may go with round headlight bezel...

30. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

If I remember right he made it with 4 pieces welded up. I left part of the bumper brackets behind it. It really would have made a mess if anyone hit me. Nurfs would look cool.