Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 57 Chevy wagon price ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Jan 21, 2019.

1. E6E9E3CD-E63B-4905-901B-DBBDE1044693.jpeg

327 4 speed runs
    Needs brakes etc etc
    Interior shot
    Door panels missing
    Needs floors

Supposedly all trim is supplied

What’s a fair price to pay for this thing ?

2. ...only what YOU think it's worth to you...

3. What's the asking price,looks like a solid car.I had a handyman in the 70's shoulda kept.

4. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

That car would bring at least 10 grand here.Just my opinion.

slowmotion, bobss396 and stanlow69 like this.

5. I generally assess the end result I would want in a perspective purchase..then consider the present condition of that car, and what it would cost in time and money to get it there, then see if it still makes since to buy it.
    The car shown in my eyes, would require all new bright work, complete interior, paint, tires/wheels, brakes, suspension, metal work, weatherstripping, and time. Rough guesstimate (and I do all of my own work, with the exception of upholstery) would be a minimum of $15K-$20K, and probably 6 months to a year to get it done.
    Now what does one sell for already done?..you can check E-Bay sold listings for an idea.
    In my minds eye, you'd need to be into no more than $6K for the purchase price, but would hope to get it for less (now if it's something you can't live without, then emotions can throw realistic numbers out the window).
    My logic in todays prices, a finished one is worth $20K to $26K, BJ and other venues can/will prove me wrong, but I speak in real world conditions.

6. raven

raven

With all the work it needs, $3500 would be a little high.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. I agree. I'd say it would go as high as $12k since they are pretty scarce. I would go $5k for it right this second if it was local and I could look at it.

8. Any rust issues?
    is it running?

5 to 8 grand depending on the condition. HRP

9. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Just how bad are the floors? You really need to take a good hard look at it, does it need every piece of sheetmetal repaired? Rockers, quarters, doors, tailgate, fenders and hood? I like '57's as much as anyone else, but this one looks like a ton of work.

10. slowmotion

slowmotion

A guy near here had a 210 2dr wagon w/Belair side trim a few years ago. Strong 327-4speed, decent driver quality paint. Needed back seat, couple of body mount braces, tailgate cables, & maybe a couple of door/interior panels, etc. Think he was asking $12,500 which I didn't think was too far out of line. Had a nice set of Cragars on it too.

11. Stooge

Stooge

in my neck of the woods, if it was under $10k, it would be within a grand or 2 of it, maybe even down to $7k depending on the floor issues, but from what we can see, it looks to be pretty solid. Wagons really seem to have been picking up steam the last few yrs

12. Latigo

Latigo

40FordPU has a good logical approach to value. Basically just how much time and money do you want to (or can) invest. Leave emotion out of the equation and realistically pencil it out. If you get emotional, all bets are off.

13. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

How much are you willing to lose if things aren’t as they appear?
    You can buy on potential but that’s a double edge sword.
    Potential on the upside as well as a downside.
    Plan your cost to restore then double the estimate for unseen issues.
    Base price on cold hard numbers

14. There was one for sale out here that had all the metal work done (bare metal) but no drive train that just sold for $14,000. Don't forget you are in Canada so you need to factor in the increase in rarity and additional cost you would face to buy from the US.

15. Squablow

Squablow

Some of you guys who are working backwards from the value of a finished car are kinda missing the point, some of us buy project cars because we like to build project cars. There's almost no projects that are cheaper to build than they are to buy finished. Especially when you're factoring in the cost of having a pro paint or upholster it.

I think a good deal for that car based on what I can see is between $5k and $8K US. Here in Wisconsin a wagon that solid is a pretty rare sight. I'd want to know how good the drivetrain is too, "runs" could mean the engine and trans are solid and you can build the car around it, or could mean it will start but it smokes/is weak and needs to be rebuilt.

Two things stand out to me on this car, one is the 150 side trim is missing, which is a huge downside unless it's with the car and just off of it. Second is the paint looks really old and untouched, like it hasn't been messed with in a long time, which is a big upside to me, as most issues should be readily apparent and haven't been covered up yet.

anthony myrick and Dick Stevens like this.
  16. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

You forgot to mention it is in Ontario already so no shipping or border costs. That being said it is rare but in pretty rough condition, add up what it will cost to get it the way you want it then make your decision. I sold this 57 S.W. lat year for $20.K Canadian, buyers were not beating my door down

DSCF0115.JPG DSCF0121.JPG IMG_2109.JPG .

catdad49 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. For me, it would solely depend on the condition of the floor paqns and body supports. Once you start monkeying around with the floor is when the $$ adds up in a hurry...I passed on two decent wagons recently for good proces because they looked good from 10 feet but were rotten from the toe boards to the trunk pan..

18. upspirate

upspirate

Is that a F*N Dodge? ;):D

19. The guy is asking just under 10 for it
    Say it drives but the brakes are shot
    Floors are not gone completely but has soft spots.
    To me that means floors!
    I have always liked 2 door wagons.
    Figured a clean driver to be worth around 15-20 up here
    Wagons, especially 2 doors are gaining in popularity.
    But I also know how quick a resto like this can get out of control.
    I was thinking if I could make a clean driver out of it, have some fun and flip it for a bit of cash to inject into my Buick it would be a fun side project.

I’m going to hopefully look at it tonight and let you guys know.

Guy selling it says that all the trim is in it. No door cardssnd theinterior is shot

20. Squablow

Squablow

If that car was roadworthy driver ready, with the trim put back on and some different wheels and very basic interior, I could see someone shelling out $15K for it even with the old paint, that look is popular, as are 2 door wagons. Asking price is on the high side, especially if you're buying it to flip, but it's not majorly out of line.

The original front seat is a really pricey item in these cars, that would be another important thing to me.

21. belair

belair

^^^^ this, I think. 10k is too much for what the car lacks. You can have another 2-4k in it real quick, replacing floors and interior and misc.

22. Thanks guys !
    That’s what I was thinking.
    Brakes engine etc don’t scare me as much as the 2 door wagon specific bits
    Like the interior and trim etc.
    Still going to go see it tonight and see what all there or not there .

23. D67E84D7-31E5-40AB-AF1F-071296577EEE.jpeg
    This 4 door was a 3k roller. My wife preferred the more door version ( so did my wallet)
    Rockers were shot but the floor doesn’t need total replacement. Trunk floor is perfect but rear gate bottom is gone

The 57 looks like a 5 to 8k car in my neck of the woods.

If I knew these things were this easy to work on I would of had one 20 years ago

benchseat4speed likes this.
  24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

That 57 "Wagon" has the side trim a Windowed Delivery would have; someone could have removed the paint divider from a Wagon however. If the VIN has a "D" on it, or if there's a single lift up rear gate, then it's a Windowed Delivery and would be worth more than a comparable Wagon. Wagons have a two piece tailgate; half of it lifts up, half drops down. The firewall plate would also tell the story of what you actually have there. Let us know what you find out. I am Butch/565sedandelivery.

flatford39 likes this.
  25. Wagons are an acquired taste... It is a 2-dr, although that doesn't seem to be quite as important these days. But it'll likely never to bring the same money as a 2-dr sedan or hardtop while restoration costs will be the same or even more. If it's a typical worn-out 'old car', it'll be a money pit. If the running gear and brightwork is all 'serviceable', i.e. no expensive replating or full mechanical rebuilding needed, you may be able to make a few bucks but don't expect to recover your labor. But the price is a bit high for that. If I was trying to flip it, $5-6K would be my upper limit.

I always consider any car I sell that if I don't lose money on it it's a victory.... it's possible to make money, but it ain't easy....

26. Check the roof around the drip rails ...
    They seem to rust badly there aswell ...

Hollywood-East likes this.
  27. Thanks Steve.
    I never factor in my labour as it’s a hobby and I enjoy it.
    I’ve been lucky and have never lost on a car, broke even lots of times, but never lost.
    And I know on a plus side that everything ( just about) is available for tri-five chevys
    I also know that wagons etc can have those difficult and hard to find bits and pieces that cost money.

Up here everyone wants to drive an old car, but most don’t know how to fix one.
    So buying a car and getting it road worthy usually means a relatively quick sale as opposed to a non running project.
    Again just something I’m tossing around.

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Steve
    My view on that is kind of like why four doors (seem) popular nowadays, it's because the pool of available two doors has dried up. Sure, people have always had reasons for choosing one or the other, some were for utilitarian needs, some for aesthetic reasons.
    As to value, the OP will get all kinds of numbers, but as has been said, it ultimately boils down to what a person is willing to pay, once someone gets it in their head they want something, someone elses sensibilities go out the window.
    I can only see what I can see so I can't throw out any $$$ numbers, I can say though, regardless of comparisons to other wagon body styles the 150 is probably going to be the hardest to find not counting Nomads.
    Even having said that, none of them are hard to find, it's just that they aren't easy to find in the reasonable price range that they were in the past.
    If I was shopping specifically for a 150 wagon the best price on a 210 would have no bearing even if it was a nice two-ten two door wagon, they are two different animals.
    When I had my yellow/white 57 BelAir two door hardtop in high school there was a reeely nice original yellow/white 150 wagon just up the street from me, I pestered the guy about selling it weekly (not that I had any money), the answer was always no and after awhile it dissappeared, I still covet that wagon.

29. It really depends on what your local market is as to whether or not it's 'flipable'. If you can keep parts costs low enough and are only injecting elbow grease, you could come out OK. Being thoroughly familiar with the vehicle and the costs involved I feel is critical for success.

And Denny, you're dead right. Find the right buyer and you'll be golden, but sometimes that can be a real wait....