Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Find of a lifetime, for me 35 3 window!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ralph Moore, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Thanks for the great advice!
    Now I’m worried, I heard a lot of pinging yesterday
    Like I said, no body man. I’ve never heard some of that information.
    I was looking at it yesterday and figured it needed to go back on the car because I have no buck, and it’s like wrestling an alligator on the floor!
    I’ll get one of those discs and a book on the way before I do too much damage.
    My Dad was a Ford/Mercury man, loved driving the cars, but he never really worked on them.
    Being a pattern maker he could build a new intake manifold from scratch, and sometimes did for others.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    chriseakin likes this.
  2. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Decided to put the fender back on today. But first couple of the blind nuts needed attention.[​IMG]
    So I drilled out the spot welds, opened the holes up a little bit, and decided to install some new 5/16 x 24 nuts available from most suppliers. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I made a jig to hold them in place while I welded.[​IMG][​IMG]
    A little smoothing and good as new [​IMG]
    Now I can remount the fender.[​IMG]

3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Keep it goin ! Lookin Good !

4. Amazing find! I always liked '35s better than '36s. You can run '40-'48 drums on the rear, same bolt pattern as the '35 wires but you will need a spacer. Up front, you'll have to find '35 drums as the spindle length is wrong for the '40-'48 drums. If the engine turns freely and has clean oil in it, I'd give it fresh gas and hot battery and see what happens. I know a guy who found a Model A that hadn't been cranked since the '50s, put in fresh gas and battery, and drove the thing out of the shed it was in.

5. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

No Joy on the firing up of the engine. It was a 59AB wearing the 35 intake, but was seized up tight.
    Good news is I have another running 59AB out of a 47COE that I plan to install. Of course I have to change out the flywheel and clutch.
    The later drums will fit as the suspension has been upgraded to a 39 in the past, in order to gain hydraulic brakes. I do plan to put wires back on it.

6. 343w

343w

I just found your build thread, great 35 coupe!

ibflyin likes this.
  7. cederholm

cederholm

8. ibflyin

ibflyin
    from Tulsa, OK

9. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

So on to the right rear fender while I’m waiting for a miracle to fix the left rear :)
    It didn’t look that bad, still something wasn’t quite right, it came off a lot easier than I expected. [​IMG]
    But when I turned it over I found out why it seemed a bit different than the left.[​IMG]
    It looks to me like somebody used a sedan fender and grafted it on to the existing coupe fender.
    [​IMG]
    This is evidenced by the leaded seam the entire front portion of the fender.
    [​IMG]
    Still they did a good job and it cleaned up pretty well.

10. 4ever18

4ever18

9CBB8BDF-AF6F-4127-9DF5-40B17D659DAE.jpeg Congratulations, sir. I know just how you feel.

RustyDogg likes this.
  11. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

12. 50DropTop

50DropTop

Looking good Ralph! A shrinking disc will work some magic on those high spots. Also, I made myself some slapping files out of some old files I had laying around. I find they’re helpful as well for really fine high spots; the pattern in the file can help shrink the high spots. I’m always amazed at how much you can ‘move’ metal.

13. Coming right along, good work.

14. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Okay, I metal bumped till my arm fell off! Wow you use muscles you never use.
    Got tired of it and went to clean up the right rear fender and quarter a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Working on the roof and rear window area today, quite a bit of surface rust on the replacement roof panel they used. All done in lead back in the day.
    I’m going to have to tweak it a bit as it’s not quite perfect. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and dana barlow like this.
  16. 50DropTop

50DropTop

Looking very nice! Someone did a nice job leading that panel in. From the inside can you tell if they removed any of the original insert structure?

17. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

dana barlow likes this.
  18. 50DropTop

50DropTop

If it was just leaded in, removal would be pretty easy. A little heat from a torch and the lead could be easily removed with a wire brush. My concern would be if the inner lip which holds the weather stripping in was removed when the roof was added. I believe this lip sat slightly higher than the crown of the roof where it meets the weatherstripping channel. If I get some time tonight, I'll take a photo and show you what I mean. Of course, all of this doesn't matter if you intend on keeping the roof filled.

19. alaska2stroke

alaska2stroke

They're having hot rods at the annual bike blessing in Anchorage this spring. It's the first show of the year at the Park strip downtown.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    oliver westlund likes this.
  20. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Too cold here for getting bikes, or hot rods out yet!

No plans to remove the roof panel. I’m going to leave all the 1950’s mods on this car, the only external things I’m really changing other than the paint( and dents), is the wheels, going back to 16”wires, and headlight lenses. I’m taking out the sealed beams and putting original style lenses on with halogen bulbs.

walter likes this.
  21. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

you dont know jeff creamer do you?

22. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Yes I do, he is now the new president of the Vernon Nash antique car club. Great guy, loves old cars.

oliver westlund likes this.
  23. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

hes my uncle!

24. WC Durant

WC Durant

Beautiful car. Smart choice to get rid of that old paint job. I'm sure it will look great repainted.

25. Congrats! I just found a 35 3W Ford as well. It's not as far along as yours, but will be fun. [​IMG]

RustyDogg, lewk, akoutlaw and 2 others like this.
  26. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Dam , another thread I missed. You are doing that girl right on the money.cant believe how nice that body is considering outdoors and all. thanks for sharing with us. that 35 above is a solid find also.

27. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

That looks like a great start!

28. Mart

Mart

It would make sense to leave the wooden strips in place because the original type headliner would be tacked to the strips.

Nice cars, 36s. had one myself.

29. Danscig

Danscig

I like em. I'm looking to get a 35-37 Cabriolet as soon as I can sell my 34. Its in the want ads for any one interested.

30. 3340

Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.