Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage models and box art.

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ron Funkhouser, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Deuce don't kid yourself. You never can shake it. I been addicted since about six years old. I've never bought a model car on line. I don't even look. Cos, I'm just too weak. Lol But they do seem to find me anyway. I like your nice display. I need to do that. Most of mine are in boxes under our slot car layout. And many just stuffed on shelves, A picture of some of my mess. Thanks for sharing your nice neat display. Ron... 20181023_071122.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Moriarity, quick85, Lil32 and 7 others like this.
  2. Here's another oldie. PONTIAC'S Club de Mer. I took the liberty to build it the way I wanted to at the time. Ron....... 20181023_071006.jpeg 20181023_070854.jpeg 20181023_070818.jpeg 20181023_070623.jpeg 20181023_065857.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Lil32, ct1932ford, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  3. flyin-t

flyin-t

When I was a kid, 1960s, I had a few models, only half of them were ever painted. I just liked putting them together and being color blind, I can only see blue, I never felt the need to paint except for Rat Fink and the Silly Surfer stuff. Anyway I had a flatbottom boat model set up behind a small back window '56 ford pickup, they were painted. Dad had a '56 with a 425 Olds in it and we also had a flatbottom. This model though had the wood deck on it, not the decal wood deck but the grain was cast into the deck. Years later I'm telling a buddy of mine who's a model freak and he remembered that model and said I'd probably never find one because the box art is very collectable. Hell, I don't even remember what the box looked like. 25 years later he sends me an email wanting to know if I still want the model, his friend has one for sale. Yes! Bracing for a price I didn't really want to pay, he calls his buddy, tells him my back story with that model, and shoots me a price I couldn't say no to. Along with the $ he asked for a scan of the box cover because he recreates them in paintings. Anyway, heres the scan of the top. I'm told the box is collectable because its one of the few models not have anything on the top but the artwork. It's an AMT kit, Hull Raiser and the rest of the box looks like any other. The kit is missing a few minor parts but that's ok.
    IMG_4244.JPG

4. Just a bump to see some more of your old model cars, boxes, glue tubes, paint etc etc. I really like the Sunday models thread. You all are building some very COOL stuff! But I started this thread for the antiquated forum, just to see some of your older STUFF! Thanks..Ron....... 107.jpg 118.jpg 217.jpg

5. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

6. scrubba

scrubba

I know several modelers who would love to have this re issued although it is crude by today's standards

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

1/10 th scale basswood buck hand carved by Revell when they were designing the model of the Outlaw [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

9. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

There use to be a place called Papenfuss hardware by my house that had a huge hobby shop in the back . They had all kinds of stuff ..model cars,planes, ships ,army models and a huge train setup. use to spend hours in there. They always had a model car contest every month. Winners got a little trophy and a free model.. When I went in Navy in 65 mom put all my model cars in the attic. Think I had about 100 models. Never did get back in to get them .

das858, Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  10. Mike

Mike

The art on that box makes me think of young Hunter S. Thompson blasting around Havana in the borrowed "Chevy".

11. headsoff

headsoff
    from Ely UK

Great thread!

A few more of mine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

quick85, Lil32, ct1932ford and 9 others like this.
  12. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

We used to go to Papenfus too. Bought some model rockets from them that had been marked down. Worth some decent money now. It was one cool place and I guess they used to have good slot car races there as well.
    Tom Hand

x

Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  13. headsoff

headsoff
    from Ely UK

More from the vaults...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ct1932ford, Lepus, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  14. Fordors

Fordors

Deuces, Ron Funkhouser and The37Kid like this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think that may be custom or limited built. One turned up on American Pickers when they went to Europe. Back in the 1950's kids had to have a general idea how an automobile worked, and these models were in the Drivers Ed class rooms. Bob

16. That's a Hohm cut away chassis. With that front end, from the '60's. They were for classroom instruction.

Deuces, The37Kid and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  17. Thanks guys. I took that photo at the Hershey swap meet. It's the only photo I posted, that's not one of my old models. But I thought you may like it as much as I did. I can't remember the price. But it was way out of my budget! lol Here's an old Hot Rod, with some very COOL box Art. Ron........ 615.jpg

quick85, Lil32, ct1932ford and 4 others like this.
  18. headsoff

headsoff
    from Ely UK

More thread traffic...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

quick85, Lil32, ct1932ford and 9 others like this.
  19. Two verions of the Green Hornet T I built. 20170205_031545.jpg 20170205_030806.jpg 20170205_030951.jpg 20170205_031636.jpg

20. One of my favorites. I've built this one so many ways. Ron..... 20200316_212243.jpeg

21. steveareno

steveareno

Many thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread. Certain models and box art that I see bring me right back to those special times in my youth. Building car models was how I taught myself about how cars were put together, what the parts were called, how to plan the sequence of painting and assembling (sometimes the hard way, especially when it came to plastic cement and windows!). Then at 17, I moved on to full-scale cars with all the full-scale pain and pleasure that they give us throughout our lives. Someday, when I cannot physically work on big cars anymore, I will come full circle to model car building again. Steve