Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bare Metal Wet Shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clik, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Clik

Clik

I have a bunch of metal work to do and the panel truck will be in bare metal for awhile. I have no way to heat or dehumidify the big barn. All I can do is keep the rain off. When temps change everything sweats. Any options to stop flash rust for the (realistic) months it may be bare metal?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

3. Anything you put on the metal, gibbs or primer will have to be removed before painting in the future. Having worked in a barn and spraying lacquer primer as I went a few years later I learned the primer didn't seal the metal.

Before I got around to painting the rust was starting to bleed through the primer. HRP

Boryca and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

PHIX is excellent. It contains phosphoric acid and doesn't contaminate the metal.

oj and blowby like this.

5. BigChief

BigChief

Gibbs. ALL. THE. WAY. Respray every couple of months. When its time to paint Gibbs cleans up nice....has a tendency to creep into seams....but, bizarrely, doesn't come back to haunt you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Gibbs says you can paint over it.

Happydaze and gimpyshotrods like this.
  7. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I'm an epoxy person myself, painting for 35 yrs. I don't care what anyone says Oil an automotive paint is nothing I entertain.. jmo

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I regularly paint over surfaces that have been treated with Gibbs. I have been doing so for about 25-years.

I have never had a single issue. Not even one.

So, you have a choice: You can trust speculation, or you can trust actual experience.

mkebaird, King ford, Bam.inc and 3 others like this.
  9. I would use ospho on he sheet metal
    Vic

VonWegener and oj like this.
  10. I used Gibbs on my car and it sat in several shops for 10 years. I wiped the car down with lacquer thinner before I applied epoxy primer sealer and I'm sure I missed a few spots when I wiped it down...didn't matter. The epoxy primer adhered perfectly with no lifting or wrinkling. Love that Gibbs! And use primer/sealer like epoxy primer.
    33gibbs1.jpg 34front3_4ths2016.jpg 34falleaves10_18.jpg

11. choptop40

choptop40

Holy mackeral , that's some good stuff right there....

12. oldolds

oldolds

Personally I would make the body all bare metal. Epoxy prime it. Do the metal work as needed. At the end of the days metal work I would use a quality spray can primer such as Sem or U-Pol to cover the bare metal. When the panel is done being metal worked remove the spray can material and spray on good epoxy or what ever you usually use as the starting point of your paint job.
    I understand your problem and concerns with the metal sweating with temp changes. I would not want to be bothered with re-applying oil every month or so. I have cars and parts stored in barns and this summer with the amount of rain we had in the northeast the concrete floors in the barns were wet from condensation all summer. To the point there were puddles on occasion.

13. two couped up

two couped up
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from pa.

I get epoxy on everything also then repair panel by panel to the point that it only needs sanded sealed and painted. I use the weld thru primer as I repair the spot, and you can paint over it with out problems. I'm not working in a barn but I don't heat my garage unless I'm working out there, and the temperature change can flash rust metal here in western PA. over night.

14. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Oil will certainly seal metal from rust as long as it is reapplied as the oil evaporates.
    Phosphoric acid drys and doesn't evaporate. Plus it is actually recommended for use in the paint prep stage.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

16. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I use Picklex 20, expensive, looks like ospho but much better. Keeps sheet from surface rust for 6 to 12 months and my shop is damp most of the time.
    picklex20.jpg

KoolKat-57 likes this.
  17. Clik

Clik

Since I can't spray epoxy in this cold weather it sounds like Gibbs is my best bet. What chains carry the stuff?

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  18. reagen

reagen

Keep a fan blowing over the body it helps .

classiccarjack likes this.
  19. 6sally6

6sally6

Flea Bay for sure..........ck Amazon and let us know.
    6sally6

20. It's sold on the HAMB classifieds here...Search for "Gibbs" Its the real stuff and sold by a HAMB'r
    I've never found it in stores ...always had to order it.. And , beware of knockoffs online !!
    BTW : Its a great product

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    The37Kid likes this.
  21. Clik

Clik

Yeah, I keep a fan circulating 24/7 for the shop in general. I've had some success with hanging a drop light in a car too. Just a little temp rise can eliminate sweat in some cases.

reagen and BigChief like this.
  22. Clik

Clik

I found a sport shop near me that carries it. Will go there tomorrow.

23. Clik

Clik

It looks like part of the ingredient in Gibbs Oil is light mineral oil. I'm not sure what the other ingredients are. I'm not sure why it's so expensive other than hype.

24. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Walmart has it the cheapest

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hype is defined as excitement generated over something that may, or may not be what it is claimed to be. This product is what it says it is.

It is more expensive because someone did all of the research and development into the proper ingredient formulation that produces the desired results.

If you can pony-up all of the cash required to come up with a uniquely functional product, that has yet to be duplicated, you too can charge whatever you want.

The rest of us get to buy it, and many of us do, by the case.

That's basic Capitalism 101.

mkebaird, ABONES and Just Gary like this.
  27. rustymetal

rustymetal

Picklex 20 used it a lot and it does work

28. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I sent all the bare metal 32 roadster pkg cars I built out the door with a light wipe of Gibbs. Never had any negative feedback about painting from the buyers.

Bam.inc and Just Gary like this.
  29. Clik

Clik

Cool. I never thought of checking Walmart.

30. Clik

Clik

Sounds good.