Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Spurgin-Giovanine Roadster at GOODING & CO. Scottsdale 2019 Auction

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HEMI32, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Different steering wheel?

2. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Thank you for sharing if this doesn’t get your hotrod Juices Flowing your Dead

3. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Looks like a early Case Tractor wheel

4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Wish in one hand and #### in the other,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The carbs/manifold are likely not the only things that are changed when the car is at high-end shows. Roadster fan.jpg

Hollywood-East and teach'm like this.
  6. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Deep pockets only need to bid on this one. Hot Rods are still valuable to some collectors but in general prices are down from the height of the hype for these type of cars. I would guess low 6 figures.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  7. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

Outstanding. What a great treasure and historical record of our hobby. The story is the stuff of lengend and in my humble opinion I believe the car will bring the money ($250k) on auction day. The restoration is supberb, especially with the original imperfections. The car tells such a great story. Thanks for sharing so much.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    HEMI32 likes this.
  8. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

Great story and video. Is there any video with engine sound or did I miss it somewhere?
    Greg

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

continentaljohn likes this.
  9. deucemac

deucemac

I am incredibly surprised to see the car for sale at any price. I was fortunate to be able to see the car personally and take many pictures of it at the Gas Up in 2015. As I was standing there, Ernie approached me and asked if I was an LSR racer and we began to talk about his car. He was as excited as a little child at Christmas as he talked enthusiastically about the car. It was truly his pride and joy along with Old Yaller II. I'm dumbfounded to find it for sale, based on Ernie's expressed love of the car at that time. Whoever gets the car will get a true racing icon.

loudbang, kidcampbell71 and HEMI32 like this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for all the info on this great Dry Lakes car! So nice to see it properly restored with all the fine details preserved, it has had a great caretaker bring it back to life, I hope it finds a proper new home. Bob

loudbang, kidcampbell71 and HEMI32 like this.
  11. Greg -

You might have to have a Facebook account to view them, but here's two videos that Jimmy Shine posted back on October 16th 2017:

Today is a glorious day!
    This is the first time in over 60+ years that the Spurgin Giovanine roadster has driven under its own power!
    Hot Rod magazine cover car March 1949!
    4 cylinder 1925 Chevy engine with a 1926 Oldsmobile head......such an honor to be a part of this legendary race car!

Spurgin / Giovanine roadster first drive......so awesome!
    Dr. Ernie is planning a trip to El Mirage so we can run her down the dirt again.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    loudbang, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. Sold for $212,800

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is this the first time it has sold since its restoration? If no is it up from it last Auction priced noted?

loudbang likes this.
  14. Nobey

Nobey

Thanks Jimmy, I'm surprised it didn't go higher being a record holder.....

loudbang likes this.
  15. Only previous time it has come up for Auction was near 20 years ago it was passed in. That was before the restoration and just after the car was pulled out of the desert.

loudbang, HEMI32 and Stogy like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No matter what it remains a reflection of what we revere here. Hopefully it gets out and about to inspire and educate.

Congratulations to the New Owner/Driver/Caretaker...;)

loudbang likes this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Jimmy B I have a vision...You and the Real deal at El Mirage for a side by side run down the dirt with a complimentary video and photo shoot as a part of it...;)

loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  18. I'm not, the market is cooling off a bit. 200k for a non-Ford is still impressive, but with this cars history you'd think that would have driven the price into the 300k range. Ultimately being a Chev hurt the price.

loudbang, HEMI32 and Stogy like this.
  19. Haha yeah that would be good, but doubt it would ever happen. I do intend to take my car to the US at some stage.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man that would be awesome they had it there before...so I will hope for that to become a reality...

loudbang likes this.
  21. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

Just simply wonderful. Thank you.

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Do we know who bought it? Kinds hoping that Dr. Simeone picked it up- I'd be more than happy to visit it in Philly :D

loudbang likes this.
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With one like that you just hope it got an appreciative keeper who respects the history and the fact that it was brought back to as close to the original racing form as possible.
    Hemi32's efforts should be on display with the car though. Those details mean a lot to the people who are into vintage race cars that can afford one of that caliber.

loudbang likes this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

That would be a great home, but the Good Doctor is into road race cars. Bob

loudbang likes this.
  25. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Unfortunately I think it's what's on the horizon.... This last Year imo has seen a Serious hit... I actually don't think people selling are in "tune" to it yet... Again jmo, 250-350 was estimated.... Geezuzzz

loudbang likes this.
  26. True, Bob, but he does have the Pete Brock Daytona Coupe that ran at Bonneville :)

loudbang likes this.
  27. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Is this a tribute or real deal?

clem and loudbang like this.
  28. I guess the OP was too long for you to read? ... or the video(s) too long to view?

Yes, it’s the “Real Deal” ... the original car was found in the late ‘90s and was restored (as accurately as possible) to its circa 1948 glory.

NOTE: To my knowledge, @Jimmy B‘s roadster is the only “Tribute” car ... and it resides in Australia.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  29. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Yes too long. I was on my phone for a min. And suffer from an eye condition where I can only read in short intervals. Thanks

30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My vintage engine roadster has current records at Bonneville and El Mirage, was the first GMC powered gas/fuel roadster over 200 mph at Bonneville, and if someone came over with $212,800+ they could buy everything I have including 2 complete 12 Ports head, injectors, rockers, covers, etc. Countless blocks,heads, cranks, cams, enclosed trailer........ Bring a big truck with a lift gate.....

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Elmo Rodge and Stogy like this.