Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Suede paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flamed48, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Flamed48

Flamed48

who makes good suede/ flat paint, and if you have flat paint what brand are you using ?

2. The SUN "makes" a good /flat paint.
    For quicker results.... try Sherwin-Williams/Martin-Senour. (Auto paint jobbers...not latex stores)
    factory packaged colored primer-surfacer. Red-Black-Blue-Green-etc-etc. It's composition is
    basically some urethane clear ....with pigment.... and talcum powder. It requires its own catalyst-
    hardener.... so consult your paint store for PROPER safety precautions. The paint stores will also
    sell quarts-gallons of "FLATENER" that is basically a ton of talcum powder that you add to single
    stage color. Flatened-clearcoat (catalyzed) is also offered by the manufacturers ....but is somewhat
    tricky to apply.
    If you are just flatening a hood, the tinted-primer is quite easy for a do-it-yourselfer. If you are
    doing an entire vehicle in one session, ...get professional advice beyond my QUICK answer on
    this column.

3. Lacquer
    And don’t buff it

4. Your going to get a bunch of BS answers but the truth is that pretty much any paint can be made flat. There are flatteners you can buy that will matte single stage paints.

Also, there are flat and matte clears that can be sprayed over anything pretty much.

Some people even run base coat, clear coat paints without the clear applied. They seem to holdup remarkably well in spite of not having any real protection over them.

Last option is to use a premade paint product like Hot Rod Flatz brand paints. Some people don’t like them but others have had good results.

Shoot us some pics when you get it going.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    loudbang likes this.

5. What color?
    Also
    If painting an entire car I recommend 2 painters This helps eliminate streaks in the center of large panels

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  6. 29moonshine

29moonshine

I shot single stage and had the paint store add the flatener

jazz1 likes this.
  7. jazz1

jazz1

That's the best approach so you can choose which quality of paint and the amount of flattener will be listed on can so you can get a proper blend if more paint is required.

8. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I've used flattener in single stage. It works in any color even metallic. The only problem is if you have to touch it up it's really hard to match the same amount of "flatness" because you don't really know where your at until it dries.

9. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

10. Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  11. With a name like hotrodprimer I can assure toy I have tried many different paints & primers to achieve a non glossy finish, I have always preferred a low maintenance finish with mixed results, it looked good for a while but rain,sun caused fading and after a while it looked bad, then I found Kirker and used it
    will offer a photo of what worked got me.

Kirker Semi-gloss black on my Deuce pickup and will use it again in the future, it holds up in in the weather, it doesn't streak or fade and after 7 years it still looked good when I sold it. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    jazz1, CudaChick1968 and 1stGrumpy like this.
  12. I always liked that one!

13. < ---- If I ever have to do anything to my sedan it will be Kirker S.G. black. HRP

Fordor Ron likes this.
  14. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flat paint on an automobile generates about the same interest for me as a flat chest on a woman. Ron

BamaMav likes this.
  15. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Back when you were driving a car in primer and you wanted it to look good you simply sprayed a new cote of primer. Suede was unbuffed lacquere that might be seen for a week until it was cut and buffed.
    I don't care for any of it now it's not done until it shines!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    BamaMav likes this.