Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help w/Edmunds ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gritz, Jan 16, 2019.

1. gritz

gritz

Picked up an Edmunds intake. Guy thought it was for a Chevy 6 cyl but it's not. I need help identifying what engine it's for. I'm having a problem posting pic's so here's the specs: intake has 3 ports and is a 2 single barrel carb intake, 15 1/2" long by 6 3/8" wide from end of intake port to edge of intake, 3 intake ports are 1 1/4" on 7" centers, the 2 carb ports are also 1 1/4" on 7" centers, carb base is 3 3/8" x 2 1/8", carb studs are 2 5/8" apart, front stud is 3/4" tall and back stud is 1 1/8" tall. wish I could figure out how to post pics but still dumb founded. Any help identifying this intake will be greatly appreciated. Thx in advance, Gritz

2. gritz

gritz

edmund1.JPG edmund2.JPG edmund3.JPG here's the pics

3. F&J

F&J

This should be on the main forum because many members don't visit this forum. There have been quite a few old catalog pics of Edmunds manifolds on hamb. It would take some searching to find all of them.

It's a cool piece for history buffs for one reason: It is an early manifold made during the time when Eddie Edmunds wife was doing the names by free hand in the patterns. Look at the somewhat crooked "Custom" word. A nice blast from early hot-rodding past.

Hnstray and warhorseracing like this.
  4. gritz

gritz

Thanks for the info. Sort of new on here regarding posting stuff. Is there a way to move this to the main forum or will I have to retype it? I love all this old speed stuff. If I can figure out what it fits, it may help someone finish that "old skool" project. Thx

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

moved it for you

F&J likes this.
  6. Squablow

Squablow

I don't know what it is but it's really cool, almost handmade looking, that's gotta be really early. Are you sure it's not for the pre '37 era Chevy 6? The 1929-36 Chevy engines have different port spacing.

Hard to say otherwise, Edmunds made so many different intakes. I have a 2x1 Edmunds hanging on my office wall that was made for 46-50 Nash Ambassador 6 engines, a real oddball.

7. gritz

gritz

Thx, appreciate the move

8. gritz

gritz

Not sure about the early Chevy 6's. I sold a restored 33 last year. Guess I should have paid a little more attention to it. SOLD pretty quick though. My '41 has a Jimmy 261 and it's a mile off. Would be nice to know what it is. Hoping someone has a clue.

9. 52HardTop

52HardTop

If your comparing to the GMC engine, that would explain why it doesn't match. The Jimmy is not the 261 Chevy engine. Or maybe you do have a Chevy 261 and just mistakenly call it a Jimmy engine?

10. gritz

gritz

My goof up. It is a 1962 Chevy truck motor. I'll blame it on old age.

11. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I know what you mean! You have me wondering on that intake. I'm guessing the intake ports are closer together that the Chevy intake?

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

look real close at the bottom of it. most are stamped with the application info. it is pretty faint though... look close

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

None of the post-war Edmunds info shows a pre-216 Chev manifold. It isn't Chevrolet or GMC - that's for sure.

14. gritz

gritz

Thx for the tip. Got out the 'ol magnifying glass but no luck. Had a youngin look for something but he came up empty also. Tried the "pencil rub" technique but the bottom is pretty rough so nothing legible showed up. But it was a good tip and got me in the garage for a little while.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are enough similarities to this one offered up on Ebay that one would think it might be for a 216.
    eBay item number:
    This one looks a bit closer as far as how the manifold to head flanges were it also shows different script on top (probably meaning a later edition ) and it shows the previously mentioned stamped application on the bottom.
    eBay item number:

16. Apenaut

Apenaut

Not sure, but it could be for a Studebaker Champion 170cu flathead 6. I can check measurements later.

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Apenaut

Apenaut

I checked the measurements on my 170cu Champion engine - the three ports have 7" centers. Also, the taller carb mount would be at the rear, making this manifold a passenger side engine mount. Stude intake (and exhaust) manifolds are on the passenger side of the engine, so I say this intake is for a Stude 6.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Hnstray and RMR&C like this.
  18. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Would that have had to been written backwards?

F&J likes this.
  19. Apenaut

Apenaut