Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Lincoln Y Block Weber Manifold...try #2

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ron Falk, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Ron Falk

Ron Falk

Ok, its been some time ...but I am back to creating the Intake Manifold for the Ol 332..
    Picture 1 was scrapped and we move onto Picture 2 which is almost complete. intake try #1.png intake try #2.jpg
    After a few attempts , and one heck of a lot of homework...here is where I have arrived. I do need to separate the top plate and separate the runners yet. It was easier to fabricate it as one piece to get the geometry right....but I will be separating the runners . My question is ....How should I pull vacuum for ignition advance ? Should I tap into each runner and build a vacuum can with small vacuum line....or pull everything from 1 runner. It gets tougher if add a power brake booster. I am close to getting it finished, so I am down to details.

loudbang, oliver westlund and RMR&C like this.
  2. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Could you "discuss" this Lincoln "Y- Block" internals? .060" overbore is not enough/.125" is too much with the 3.5" crank from '52-'55, or did you go with .030"overbore with the 3.625"crank from '56-'57? I'm obviously interested in what you did to get 332"? You could have used the truck unit that came with 336", but that's too big, although it would give you a forged crank.... Or are you using BBC rods & an offset ground crank? Endless possibilities....

loudbang and Ron Falk like this.
  3. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

I'll be watching , working on a similar idea for a Cadillac 472. I'v been wondering if it necessary to connect the two sides to help balance vacuum? For street driving should water passages be built in to run coolant through it?

loudbang and Ron Falk like this.
  4. Ron Falk

Ron Falk

Good day, This is a Lincoln Y of course and 332 was the stock dispacement from the f800 trucks. This is a 1959 motor with a .060 overbore....so really a 341 or something like that..

loudbang likes this.

5. Ron Falk

Ron Falk

From what I have learned is that typically a longer runner helps with your bottom end...but not with a Weber. With 1 throat per cylinder, you have to separate the runners and keep them short so the air charge can move very fast...thus more low end and quick acceleration. I believe a balance tube would slow the charge and slow down throttle response.Thats where adding a vacuum port becomes a bit tricky for a youngster like mysself..lol

loudbang likes this.
  6. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Thanks Ron! those are great motors : With a little head work(especially on the exhaust ports!!) they will surprise a lot of people, & best of all :it's NOT another "cookie-cutter" Chevy!!

7. Some of the newer aftermarket weber intakes address this with small (1/4") holes in each runner feeding into a common plenum cast into the bottom of the intake. They claim this offers enough vacuum to operate even power brakes if need be without upsetting flow. With the right plumbing, you could duplicate this with a remote vacuum can plus even offering the ability to do a carb sync with an ordinary vacuum gauge.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

DSCN0126.JPG DSCN0128.JPG 017.JPG 368 +.060 with 317 crank = 363. Very nice for C/AIR at SCTA events.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    egads, kidcampbell71, RMR&C and 2 others like this.
  9. Ron Falk

Ron Falk

Thanks, I will open the exhaust ports up for sure then

loudbang likes this.
  10. Ron Falk

Ron Falk

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It's for sale

12. Ron Falk

Ron Falk

Thats well outside of my price range..LOL

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Maybe not. Health issues cause everything to go to a good home. You qualify. Blow shield for a Lincoln Y is pretty hard to find. Schifer flywheel included. Top loader thrown in. It's not complete.

ottoman likes this.
  14. Rick Cannon

Rick Cannon

Hi
    I’ve heavily modified a 368 for vintage road racing. Dino Fry of Redwood city did a good job of porting my 368 heads. Using the M337 option dual quad intake, it put out 400 HP on his dyno. I think there is a lot more HP available in these motors if you can unshroud the valves and move them more to the center of the bore so that you can get more lift as well. Even with notching the corner of the bore I can’t get much more than .5 lift.
    I’m going to be playing with offset dowels so that the head can be moved up. I believe that offset dowels coupled with offsetting the valves (when you modify for larger valves) upward will help much more than anything else you can do. I cut up a spare head for Dino to estimate how much material is there to offset the valve.
    I’m interested in those 368 parts.
    Rick Cannon

loudbang likes this.
  15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Give me a call. 650*345*5221

16. Rick Cannon

Rick Cannon

Just saw this. It’s 9:45.
    I’ll call in the morning.

Rick cannon