Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question for the elders, those who were there.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gimpyshotrods, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Let's start some new jargon.

loudbang likes this.
  2. had a girlfriend once.......could out drink most......her nick name was kinda like that........

31hotrodguy and williebill like this.
  3. It will always be Willys (Willeaze) for me also...but...I have heard recordings of ads, and radio broadcasts, in the late 40's and early 50's and, sorry to say...they said Willis !!!:(

lothiandon1940 and 40FORDPU like this.
  4. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

We referred to the KC 135 refueling aircraft as tankers in the Air Force.

31hotrodguy and deucemac like this.
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I'm 72, started reading about land speed racing when I was 12 and it was always belly tank or belly tank lakester. The old photo shows that someone did call theirs a belly tanker and even though that would be pretty well correct in that the tanker meant vehicle rather than just the tank sitting on a pallet. Have to admit that a "tanker" when referring to a car has always meant a southern booze runner or one of that handful of Corvettes though.
    On the Dizzy thing while that bugs me and I don't remember it for more than ten years back it does have an honest origin.
    What bugs the shit out of me is the guys saying they have a Carby. I figure that might be a cutsie term coined by guys who grew up with FI and now are trying to work on carburetors. Unless it is another Oz/NZ colloquialism that is now just showing up because of the net.

Outback, 31hotrodguy and williebill like this.
  6. deucemac

deucemac

Tanker; large diesel truck towing very large liquid tanks (1 or 2) to deliver said liquid to customers, also known as tanker trucks. Tanker; refueling aircraft such as KC97, KC130, KC135, or KC10. Tanker; crew member on a military tank. A surplus aircraft disposable fueltank known as "drop tank". Used by Bill Burke and subsequently others and modified to run as streamlined open wheel race cars with various displacement engines for different classes of land speed racing. Know in the sport as tanks or lakesters,PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some DUMB ASS gets the idea to reinvent the term. Like s pound sign (#) suddenly becomes a hash tag. Morons trying to be clever and cutesy. Tanks and lakesters they are and tanks and lakesters they shall remain !

7. Mr48chev got it right in his last line , I am 73 and have always said dizzy & carby and lots of other purely Oz / NZ terms ....

clem and Outback like this.
  8. Here's one for those who were there...when I got back into Willys in the late 70's...(had my first Willys from 1960 to 1969, I was heading to the east coast and as I got to Toledo, I wanted to see the Willys factory. I thought perhaps they might have memoribillia of those cars of the '30's, perhaps even a factory built car to look at. What a dissapointment.
    They had very little from that era, and the picture below shows only a few pictures of our much sought after pre-war Willys. I was also surprised that they didn't have more on the Military Jeep...not much there either. There were however some neat road signs on the freeways and roads around the factort...Willys avenue, Willys boulevard, etc.
    g-willys

IMG_20190117_110236149.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    rod1 likes this.
  9. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Probably the most common term was lakester

deucemac likes this.
  10. Language is a fluid thing, always evolving. We don't speak or write Shakespeare's English anymore. If enough booger eaters flock together to hack a particular word, that word is at risk to someday soon show up in the dictionary with the new meaning. Sometimes these hacked words are cute as a box of speckled puppies so everyone likes it. Case in point, though, sometimes it irritates the hell out of a lot of other folks.

There's something that irks me that I'd like to use as an analogy. We are becoming surrounded with a generation of monkey see-monkey do table manners. A bunch of classless Hollywood types want to let everybody know that they are world travelers who have been to Europe where unwashed peasants hold their fork upside down in their left hand while they use a knife in their right hand to push their food onto the fork. Monkey see-monkey do. Emily Post is rolling over in her grave. So we have a lot of weak minded, copy monkeys, though they have never been an unwashed peasant nor seen one over there in Europe, they want to be like the cool Hollywood kids. Monkey see-monkey do to the 10th power.

If you recognize yourself or somebody you know, yea, it could be I'm talking about you. :rolleyes: :p

11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

When somebody says willis all I think of is
    Watcha talkin bout !

dartman1965 and jimgoetz like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hey captian, after a day of fighting your carby do you throw a steak on the barbi?:D

13. Dead right DDD but I must add Aussies Dont drink Fosters even tho movies always show it , its snakes piss !!

Outback, Steve Ray, czuch and 2 others like this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I am a New England cracker redneck, who grew up, shoeless, on a goat farm.

Not quite European peasant, but the house was on large rocks, instead of a foundation .

15. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

It is kind of like how nitrous became nos after the Fast and Furious thing came out. lol Larry

bchctybob likes this.
  16. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I stand corrected. Belly tanks was the most common

17. I would guess it probably happened when the company NOS started selling nitrous systems in the 70's.

18. Don't know about that.
    But my motto has always been.... furious.JPG

31hotrodguy and czuch like this.
  19. I am of the age to pass along sage advice but in South Carolina we didn't have land speed racing using drop tanks and I may have been guilty of using the "Tanker" terminology at one time or another, after reading this post I will reframe from passing along misinformation in the future. HRP

Outback likes this.
  20. I'm 70, back in the day where I come from, the term "tanker" meant a over stuffed nylon jacket!

21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D As krusty stated,the only"tanker"references that I have heard was to military personel who operated military tanks.As was one of my cousins who served in WW2 in Shermans in the European theatre.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

22. "Rims" or worse yet, "Rimz" is my pet peeve

bchctybob, steves29 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's leave them there. Seems funny to me "boot and bonnet" are left but dizzy, carby, tanker, etc seem to tag along....it's right up there with "spot on" what at ever the f--k that means.

24. I'll stop saying, "spot on" straight away;)

25. ....................Have a Snickers. You're not yourself when you're hungry.:D;) KingSizeSnickers-450x317.png

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'd seen those Fosters commercials so thought I would try it, bought a big can of the stuff.
    You're right, I ended up putting it in a big pot of chili I was making, kind of like cooking with cheap wine.
    Many years ago a friend of mine went to Oz to crew on a race boat they had built an engine for, I said to him I bet you drank a bunch of Fosters and he said, OH NO it was Tooheys and a lot of it.

good captian and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. Tanker Jackets, yes had to have one from the war surplus store, especially if you couldn't afford a "Blue Suede Jacket", big at my high school 1953 to 59

bchctybob and 1stGrumpy like this.
  28. Belly Tank was the word.

29. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the fire service , up here anyway a tanker is a plane that carries water to drop on fires....an air tanker. The trucks with the big tank on back that carry water to a fire is called a tender.

30. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Ok I'm 72 been to B-vill ( let's get that into this pissing contest) 7 times or so and don't ever remember anybody calling a lakster built out of a drop tank called a tanker. It was always a belly tank.

31hotrodguy likes this.