Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

Sweet history Mr. Jim thx-

enloe, loudbang and vetteguy402 like this.
  2. What ya pay for it Bob?

1947knuck, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. jimdillon

jimdillon

I had a video on The Pooch but it did not work yesterday for whatever reason. I will upload it and see if it works today.

4. vetteguy402

vetteguy402
    from omaha, ne

Love that sound. It never gets old.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. jimdillon

jimdillon

I agree some of us never get over the great sound some of these cars make. I am not sure if it has a 268 in it today although I thought I have read that the new owner found period correct parts and replicated it pretty accurately. I remember when the Modified Eliminator racing was popular in the 70s and some of the Vettes (and others) were running 268 and 278 engines (if my memory hasn't left me altogether) and they wound up pretty quick and sounded great.

Car does sound pretty good IMO.

6. loudbang

loudbang

posted by hemidav in the vintage thread.

Never saw a mirror on the fender before

hot hemidav mirror....jpg

7. loudbang

loudbang

Ok the next few over a couple days shows the mixed state of Vettes that have been modified. :confused:

These will all be from the dover site https://doverdragstrip.com

They are from a section marked "Lost 65 collection"

I will post some with Modified Production markings some with Modified SPORTS markings, one A/SP, and one B/sport.

The first White Fang with B/MP. looks fairly stock.

hot dino white fang MP.JPG

8. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Was this Quick Silver car posted here previously?

I can't make out the owner/driver sir name.

Car is for sale near Rochester New York. Unfortunately paint has been stripped. Ideally I'd like to see it restored to it's racing B/SP configuration.

1961 Bill Hxxstu-Quick Silver.jpg

9. loudbang

loudbang

Like the one above this one from the dover site but marked A/SP not A/MSP. So was that a class that they moved Corvettes into if unmodified?

hot dino 4 sport.JPG

10. jimdillon

jimdillon

LB I believe at most NHRA tracks, they would put stock Corvettes in the sports class during the mid 60s through 67. Mag wheels and slicks were allowed and they classed them at shipping weight versus advertised horsepower I believe. Of course the modified sports cars were put in Modified sports classes. When the NHRA did away with modified sports for the 68 season they did not do away with sports for American sports cars and imports although I remember many cars that would qualify for sports running in the stock classes. Maybe due to a lack of cars in a small class.

I remember in 68 when Detroit Dragway was AHRA (I believe prior to running IHRA) that they placed my buddies 61 Vette 283/270 in F/S and sometimes F/V (or some so called class if there were a few Vettes). I remember one time my buddy won F/V and went onto run an eliminator in F/S and won both. I held the trophies in the passenger seat on the way home. I remember him running the same car at Milan in 68 in NHRA and he ran in F/S and not sports.

Hopefully my memory is correct because at times I wonder.

Not sure why the White fang 62 fuelie ended up in MP. Always liked the name Quicksilver-both cool examples.

11. loudbang

loudbang

12. loudbang

loudbang

To continue

Predator With the normal B/MSP markings

hot dino predator.JPG

Same batch with CM/SP markings

hot dino same day cmsp a.JPG

13. vetteguy402

vetteguy402
    from omaha, ne

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. loudbang

loudbang

No sorry so far that is the only one I have come across.

cruiserjohn76 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

chryslerfan55, enloe and Deuces like this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

chryslerfan55, Bowtie Coupe and enloe like this.
  17. jimdillon

jimdillon

That would be a nice find to say the least. I have a small block and a big block 62 and they are both fun to drive but the torque of the big block really gets your attention. I would love to take that car for a test drive and I would hope that the car is left that way as an example of how they were but there are a lot of guys that insist on them being stock. I still remember the first early Vette I saw that was a big block street car (62-light turqoise blue 427 with a turbo 400)-cool then and would be cool now.

I could not close my hood with my 427 and he had to do a little homework to get it done. He has a lower intake of course but he may have lowered in on the mounts as well. My carburetor would hit my hood even without an air cleaner. Funny thing I like my air cleaner sticking thru the hood. I have the old Bill Thomas style mounts and they allow the engine to move a bit more than the stock saddle mount. It is the early version of a shaker, I suppose. The guy that did it back in the day obviously was a guy that paid attention to detail. Cool car.

18. The fan seems to fit the shroud, the bbc can’t be much lower than stock height for the sbc

19. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Vette is probably running a ‘68 or ‘69 tripower intake (they are lower than the ‘67 version) to allow the hood to close. Tuff lookn machine!

20. jimdillon

jimdillon

Scotty as you know they did not come with big blocks in 62 and when you install a big block you have to change the engine mount. I am familiar with the Hurst mount that is similar in a sense to saddle mount and then there is the separate Bill Thomas style mounts-one mount per side that use the stock rubber cushions that sit on top of mount attached to the frame. By reducing the thickness of the rubber cushion you can drop the engine down let's say 1/2" but then you have to play with the fan/fan shroud. Mt intake was too tall so it necessitated a hole in the hood. I actually like it but the we all like different things. I do think it is cool the way the guy with the 60 did it though.

21. It looks like there are mounts off the heads to the stock frame stands, look at the lower right corner of picture

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  22. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Good catch scotty t.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I like them to look a little more hot roddish, but that '60 is impressive. Very clean. Is it possible to put a 348-409 in a pre '62 without cutting the hood?

loudbang likes this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Man, that is one striking looking car, but I would think if he could pull off that BBC swap he could have come up with something other than those cheesy braided SS hoses.
    Extra points though for the finned valve covers, at first I thought they were Motion covers but they don't have the pad in the center, may be Ansen covers.

25. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

I'm loving this car. Likely wouldn't change much if anything at all.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    loudbang and scotty t like this.
  26. I few small changes is all it needs. Tidy up the plug wires, change the hoses, Alt bracket.....

loudbang likes this.
  27. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think those are Cal Custom valve covers.

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  28. jimdillon

jimdillon

Chris yes it is possible to put a W motor in without cutting the hood. A friend in my car club put a dual quad 409 in his 57 Vette and with an low air cleaner and no hole in the hood it looks like it came that way from the factory. The comical part is when we go to car shows I occasionally deal with the absolute nonsensical stories that some people seem to relate when they see it.

If you want I can try and dig up what I have in the way of articles on the topic.

I seem to remember that he used a Hurst mount.

Here are 2 pics from last year's Autorama of Ed's 57. DSCN1722.JPG DSCN1725.JPG