Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SHIPPING FRAME RAILS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jan 16, 2019.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Well, Fastenal let me down, thay only ship things 4 feet long and 4 feet wide. Nicely crated frame rails are 10 feet long x 15 and 12 inches, so who have you used to ship rails. 1932 Ford rails are sold and shipped every day by somebody, who is it? Thanks! Bob

2. louisb

louisb

When I ordered mine they were shipped freight. Cost almost as much as the frame rails.

—louis

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I gotten my boxed 32/34 frame rails and model A perimeters by truck for years. Rails ship class 55 and perimeters class 85 so they're not to expensive. 33/34s from Ohio and 32's from central Missouri. I usually get at least 2 pairs each time as the shipping for 2 isn't much more than one. When I was boxing deuce rails I used to get 1/2 dozen pairs at a time from Mississippi so the freight wasn't so expensive. I've noticed when shipping my completed customer frames that recently freight seems to have taken an increase.

4. jeffkau

jeffkau

Go to Yesterdays Tractors website. Look under Resources scroll down to hauling schedule then look at the Can haul ads. This might save you some cash(for the next Project).
    Good Luck

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Do you remember seeing those two piece deuce frame rails being marketed many years ago, was supposed to save money on shipping. I would say if you can't afford the shipping you probably would never have the money to ever finish it.
    I thought that was the dumbest thing I ever saw.

6. Depending on how far you have to go, it might be just as cheap to jump in the truck and go get them yourself and have some fun at the same time! ;)

Beanscoot likes this.
  7. Hey Bob, I have heard of stuff getting "moved" by moving companies that had room in their trucks when moving someones household. it did take a while to find a truck going to the same town tho.

8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

LTL freight. Yellow Rodeway, XPO, ABF are a few companies. You might try one of those companies like U-Ship where haulers bid on your load, but use caution, some of those folks aren’t real trustworthy, check any reviews on them.

9. FlyingRN

FlyingRN

I purchased my frame builders kit from JW rod garage a couple of months ago. When I first talked to them, the shipping cost was cost prohibitive; (I'm thinking like $300+?) however; they called me back a week later and said someone was coming to their area to pick up a car near them and deliver it near me in the Orlando, Florida area. I was able to work out a deal with that driver to put my frame kit on the trailer with the car he was delivering for much less than through a shipping company.

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

bought a pair from I think it was jw garage or something like that...
    $540.00 for the rails, $100.00 shipping...
    Michigan or Missouri to Maine … 2 weeks...

11. My Deuce rails were shipped to me by Yellow Freight, they made it all the way to South Carolina before the idiot driver pushed them off the back of the trailer and bent the crap out of the frame horns.

I couldn't believe what I saw and when I confronted the driver he said they were not bent too bad, I explained to the driver they were not bent until he dropped them.

I refused to sign for them and called his supervisor, within a week I had another set of rails delivered by Southeastern Freight, the driver was extremely very professional and ask me if I wanted them in the back of my truck and helped me carry them across the parking lot to my truck. HRP

5window likes this.
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Craigs list has a section called services. Always adverts for 'empty truck going to ...', at least out here. Had my heap hauled cross country that way. Liability, insurance etc. cautions apply but it worked for me.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guess I need to ask shipping or getting shipped to.
    Most of the freight companies will give you a bit of a break of you deliver the item to the freight dock and the customer picks it up at the freight dock close to them.
    It's also less expensive if the item is going to a commercial address rather than a home address.
    I'd hunt for a company that services both states where the rails are being shipped from and to if possible. Most of the regional companies haul freight that is going cross country to specific terminals where another freight company picks it up and either hauls it to another terminal to be transferred again or to the customer.

14. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I was at my son's house in Las Vegas and the truck showed up with his new gun safe in it. When the driver opened the rear door, half the safes were laying on their sides. He forgot to tie them down after the last delivery. He offered one of the ones still tied down but we refused and had to wait two more weeks for a new one.

15. RM209

RM209
    from MD

I had an engine and trans shipped last year (separately), and used R&L carriers. The buyers paid the freight, and were very pleased with R&L. The drivers had a pallet jack, and R&L provided on-line tracking; the trip from MD to upstate NY took a little over 24-hours from pickup to delivery.
    RM209

16. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I got some shipped FedEx.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for all the replies, I'll be making some calls tomorrow. I'm a motivated seller, need this deal to work. ;)

Bob

18. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

19. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I was at Carl fjastad’s shop years ago and he showed me a set of rails that were almost flat with tire marks all over them , he said he usally fixes them as he doesn’t have time to wait but this set was unrepairable he taught for months with the trucking company , was obviously done on purpose pretty crazy!

20. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a '32 frame built in the midwest somewhere and shipped to California. When it arrived it was heavily flash rusted on all exposed surfaces as a result of I can only presume being shipped on an open semi trailer in the early winter on wet and salted roads. Protecting it in some way had been overlooked :( Took me a day or so with an assortment of devises and chemicals to bring it back to how it should have been, but I did get to know it well in the process! Completely avoidable however and was a huge disappointment at the time, which isn't what you want when a thing of beauty and $$$$'s is coming your way! There's more to shipping than simply getting things moved.

Chris

21. Where are they going?

22. carryallman

carryallman

i have had several big gas station poles/signs hauled by big national moving companies! i always went thru a local office ,most of the companies trailers have a beely pan under the trailer body /just open the rear plate or side door plates !several drivers do this & use the money for there retirement fund ??? under the table! also posted ads on local craigs list for a person traveling ? had tire machines,car parts hauled ! had most drivers cover w/tarp & chain item in there pu truck bed -nothing like cash -just need to find a decent person !

Atwater Mike likes this.
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Connecticut to Texas.

Bob

24. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

I have used these guys to ship frame rails https://www.freightquote.com Shipped 32 rails from NC to CA for about $350. These were just rails that were strapped together and not a full frame. Also had a full rolling chassis shipped inside a trailer from MI to CA for $650.

If you don't have a commercial address for pick up and drop off, it will be cheaper if you drop it off at their terminal and is picked up at the terminal. Residential pickup and drop is about $50 each way and a lift gate another $50 each way. Oh, and the phone call to tell you to come pick up your freight is $15-$25.

25. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

When I used to get my unboxed rails from American Stamping they bolted them together at each end with the unboxed side facing each other and had a piece of 2X6 cut to fit in the middle and had it banded together with a couple of shingle nails keeping the banding attached to the wood. The wood kept the rails from being flattened; They used 1/2 inch bolts with nylok nuts thru the frame horn holes. They never put them on a pallet. I got 100's of pairs of rails this way

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Interesting info. I'm in the same boat and working on several ways to get my frame shipped. In the mean time, if anyone is planning to head south to Florida from the Indy area in the near term, give me a shout. My frame should be done soon, but I don't know exactly when. Ya, I know, but this head's up is all I can do for now. As in the posts above, tips and tales appreciated. Gary

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

This isn't looking good, FedEx Freight wants $604.31.

Bob

jazz1 likes this.
  28. Its been a number of years since I bought a set of rails, but having bought 3 pairs in my life, I always set it up to where I could pick them up at a show or swap meet they were going to be at. I bought a set of J.W. rod garage rails and they brought them to me at Carlisle for free. I just had to go pick them up, Driving from VA to Carlisle PA was a lot better than having to drive to Wisconsin.

FlyingRN likes this.
  29. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I've gotten 100's of pairs of rails shipped to me and I've shipped some customers rails and they always went and still do go Class 55 with the NMFC number 18780-2. They need to be packaged as I said above and for a single pair it would be good if they're banded to a pallet although most of mine were never on a pallet.

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Got a happy ending thanks to R&L Freight $289.05 with an hour road trip to their terminal in Montgomery, N.Y. :)Bob