Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2019 Run What Ya Brung April 27 and again in the Fall

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirty old man, Jan 3, 2019.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

This year RWYB @ Silver Dollar Raceway in Reynolds,GA will run twice in conjuction with the SNDRA events. The Spring race is April 27 (Sat.), and the Fall event date is not yet set. RWYB is a laid back event open to anyone who wants to run, with an emphasis on '72 and earlier cars and trucks, but all are welcome. The event has no qualifications or time trials, no eliminations and no class winners, it's just run what ya brung and have fun with a few trophies (usually)for the '72 and earlier vehicles, but again, all are welcome, and the emphasis is on having fun. Race your buddy, race anybody, just bring a safe car with seat belts and if an open car or a closed car faster than 13.99, you need a helmet. Or at least that was the track rules for last year and I wil;l discuss this with track officials and report back asap if any changes in that. Up to,you whether you run the 1/8 or the 1/4. Myself, with a roadster and no roll bar and being 81 years old with a car one helluva lot faster than my reflexes, I run the 1/8 cause the car is easily a 120-125 mph car in the 1/4, and I'm not ashamed to say I don't want to go that fast in such a car at my age! But it's your choice, with track management reserving the right to say if they feel you are too fast for your safety equipment and ask you to run the 1/8.
    You have all the room you want to display items for sale or trade, only charge is admission and race card only if you choose to race. There is also a car show, with a few awards. Again the whole object is to have fun.
    If there is a Friday night event, camping is free for that night with paid admission for the Friday races. Camping is also free for Sat. night and many of us stay, cook supper on a big comunal grill (bring charcoal), the sit around a campfire, partake of adult beverages, bench race, shoot the bull, and just generally enjoy the cameradery.
    Many then camp for the night and some like myself head for the hotel in town, only about a mile away.
    Ask questions on this thread and more stuff will be forthcoming on detail;s as we get closer.

2. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Hell Yea. I am in for both.

3. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

After Steel in Motion, this is my favorite event of the year. Except for Mecum Kissimmee. All y'all need to come out

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Just a fun, laid back event with no pressure, no hassel, just Run What Ya Brung:)

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Already got my hotel reservations. For those who haven't been to Silver Dollar Raceway and Reynolds, GA, the hotel is very small, about 8-10 rooms and the nearest otherwise are about 20 miles away on I-75. Not sure if Butler, the Taylor county seat and only about 8 miles to the West has any overnight housing or not. Maybe Google?
    Check the race track's web site www.silverdollarraceway.com for more info on the Cotton Gin Hotel and Restaurant in Reynolds. Might be listed as Ft Wayne Hotel and Restaurant on track web site as the name change wasn't too long ago.

6. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Got room for Barry and myself for Saturday night. Not sure if Friday is going to happen or not. Also not sure I could handle 2 nights with you SFCC'ers? Too much fun!

7. Camping?

GAOldsman likes this.
  8. Always a great time at the Silver Dollar. See you there.

GAOldsman likes this.
  9. If I wasn't 1000 miles away I'd be there. Too many events to get to and not nearly enough vacation time (or money).

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Andrew you are a pleasant addition to any event that you attend, and I only wish that my health and age allowed me to journey as far from home as you go.

11. DOM - not sure if you knew Hal that builds Russ and Josh's flatheads - but he passed this week.

12. vegaracechic24

vegaracechic24
    from Winder,Ga

E90951D5-C7D0-4BDC-931B-A329FA1190FF.jpeg
    Looking forward to it. Hopefully the weather will be great.

Woogeroo, car doctor, clem and 5 others like this.
  13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Wow! All the way back to page 8 in just a few minutes over 24 hours! HAMB is moving fast! RWYB is a fun, laid back event, and I hope this Spring event gets a big turnout.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  14. made the first two events always a blast.....

same boat as Andrew....950 miles makes it hard, but we'll see

chopped and GAOldsman like this.
  15. Couldn't make it this past fall... But hope to attend this spring.

GAOldsman likes this.
  16. Just not too many "Run What Ya Brung" style events anymore, and not too many racetracks left up where I'm at, but we have many fine and soulless housing subdivisions where old tracks used to stand. I'm kinda amazed that with all the car people in Georgia that guys aren't swarming all over this. Y'all are spoiled with too much to do or something?

Hang out with friends, see a whole bunch of cool cars, take as many passes as you want without any hassles, perhaps even enjoy an adult beverage or two. Sounds like a good time to me.

17. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

There are adult beverages at RWYB?

Dog_Patch and GAOldsman like this.
  18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

PBRmeASAP, GAOldsman and woodhawg like this.
  19. IMG_1345.JPG

Some Silver Dollar Action

20. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

That shot depicts a lot of what RWYB is all about, hot rodders out having fun. Damn good action shot Josh, who was in the other lane and driving what? To those who haven't been, it's not class racing, index racing, and damn sure ain't bracket racing.
    It's just fun racing against whoever you want to run that's willing to run with you. You get a time slip, but the main thing is fun.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    PBRmeASAP likes this.
  21. I heard some travel as far as Charleston, SC, to attend.

dirty old man and PBRmeASAP like this.
  22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yep and also from up around Milwaukee.

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

One item at this event has been really under utilized and that is the free swap meet. The price of admission, or racing, also buys you all the swap meet space you want/need free of any additional charges.
    The SFCC group usually sets up for the day and for the evening for those staying to grill out on the communal grill (,we usually get a huge grill on wheels loaned to us by the local REA unit, bring charcoal as that big sucker eats it!) near the big trees on the right as you drive in and up the return road, which splits the pits. We also have the evening campfire/bs session there.
    But you can setup wherever you prefer, first come first serve, anywhere not on the return road or staging area, with all the space you need. Get you a piece of poster board, make a sign, whatever. We really would like to see the swap meet part grow. Last year had some guys from FL up in GA for a visit elsewhere who drove way outta the way to check out our swap meet, and nobody had brought anything.
    We all have stuff piled up in a corner somewhere "Just in case I need it", so maybe we (me included) need to load up this stuff and bring it with us and offer it up for sale!

48fordnut and PBRmeASAP like this.
  24. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Will see what I can find. There is always too much junk in my garage.

25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Wow!! 43 hrs. since last post and this thread is already down to the bottom of page 9!!!!!!!!
    If anybody has any ideas on how to make the swap meet, or any othr part of the RWYB event better, constructive ideas and posts are not only welcomed, but requested:D:cool:

26. I think what this event needs is... a flyer!

[​IMG]

Ed's '55 Chevy looks great no matter what, but she's beautiful when she's angry.

[​IMG]

48fordnut, mad mikey, Todd553 and 5 others like this.
  27. That's great. Way cool

dirty old man likes this.
  28. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

going to have to try and make this one!

dirty old man and GAOldsman like this.