Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ReBuild Of my 1928 Model A Tudor.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Cliff Ramsdell, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

NOTE: Updates start at Post 214, 10/14/2020

Morning all,
    Two winters ago I decided to go through my old hot rod and rebuild it, with some changes and upgrades to make the car more road friendly and a better driver.

We had been slowly extending the range of our trips and after some trips to Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode island and Massachusetts I have been happy with the flathead and the rest of the car but felt it could use more.

Over the years of being on the HAMB and following and reading I knew what I wanted to change and improve on. I'm no body guy, and not some master fabricator that makes a rocket from the kids wagon and old lawn mower left behind the garage but I can work through most everything. So, lets enjoy the last of the old build and on to a new version of my Tudor.

Cliff Ramsdell
    016 (10).JPG 096 (3).JPG
    A canvas top, good for keeping the sun out.

107 (2).JPG

Not so good for keeping out the rain, umbrella optional.

114.JPG 117 (2).JPG 128 (2).JPG

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  2. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Love the pics Cliff.keep them coming.

Cliff Ramsdell likes this.
  3. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I stripped the body off and stashed it behind the garage for the winter. Not a lot of room inside for storage and work. My wife like the comforts of inside parking in the winter months, no problem.

I had bought a 276" flathead and '39 transmission from a HAMB member so I sold off the stock flathead motor less the intake, pulleys and pumps, headers and such, things to make the new motor complete. Sold the 36-38 transmission too, won't need it either.

The frame came to me as a rollerish setup, spring in front with a dropped 42-28 axle, rear spring and flattened cross member. This setup served me well for almost 10k miles but sometimes at highway speeds and bridge joints it would dance around pretty well.

Cliff Ramsdell
    110 (2).JPG 112 (2).JPG 130.JPG 131.JPG 136.JPG 149 (2).JPG 176.JPG 240.JPG 288.JPG

48fordnut, BigO and brEad like this.
  4. flatty1

flatty1

Great to see the Grand kid in the car keep it coming.

5. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

That was James (age 6 at the time) and I getting the Christmas tree a few years ago, surprised my wife and she loved it.

Cliff Ramsdell

6. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

The Frame was the first thing to get sorted out. We cut the back cross member out and I had picked up a really nice replacement Model A one along with a brand new reverse eye spring and shock setup, it was a swap meet score I needed.

I made a wooden buck to make sure each side was the same and it was cut for the left and right side to get the rails kicked in some. By assembling the rear end assembly and bolting the cross member on I was able to mock up the F1 cross member and transmission to get the location correct. The tubing was a piece of 2" square, .187" wall, just about the same thickness as the stock Model A frame.

We squared things up and tacked it all together and moved it to my buddys body shop frame machine to hold it square and weld it up. Back here I added shock mounts, motor mounts and the such.

Cliff Ramsdell
    289.JPG 020.JPG 021.JPG 023.JPG 296.JPG 029.JPG 031.JPG 314.JPG 316.JPG 317.JPG

7. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Finish welded and painted with a nice, quality rattle can of Black Krylon Appliance epoxy. I have used this stuff for wheels, frame and other parts needing a tough coating of paint. It holds up very well and the only down side is it only available in Gloss Black or Gloss White.

Cliff Ramsdell
    356.JPG

8. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Front and rear axles and suspension.
    The rear setup is a '42 to '48 rear axle, shorted torque tube and radius rods from the first build, they worked, why mess with them. I did a gear swap from the 3.78's to a set of 3.54's Rear spring is a reverse eye model A spring. I mounted it spring behind because it would allow me more drop in the rear of the car which is why the cross member is mounted under the frame rails.

Front axle is a 4" dropped Chassis Engineering Model A axle and the wishbone is a '42 to '48 with the spring hangers cut off. It required and slight pinch because of the spacing on the perch pins. We heated it pulled each side in some. I hind site I wish I swapped to a wider yoke like a '28 to '34 because it's really close to the 2 piece bell housing but it has not hit yet. I added shock mounts to the bottom of the wishbone. I have seen people talking about how the bolt on ones don't work well so I used a pair of universal shock mounts, cut the stud off and welded to the wishbone. A little clean up to slide over the axle, perfect fit.

Front brakes are F1 including the spindles and the rears are '40 to '46. New cylinders, shoes and drums on the first build so good to get there.

On a side note when getting things setup the caster was right at 6.44 degrees, perfect.

Cliff Ramsdell
    002.JPG 073.JPG 079.JPG 064.JPG 066.JPG 068.JPG 128 (2).JPG 142 (2).JPG 195.JPG 348.JPG 357.JPG

9. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Steering is F1 also. Had a nice box that we pulled apart and made my own flanges for. 1/2" welded to the box and 3/8" on the outside of the frame, like a sandwich. This gave me some room from the first build and allowed me to straighten out the steering.

Cross member is also an F1 with the pedal setup, It allowed me to have a nice mount for the wishbone and you couldn't have planned the layout better. I welded in a spare cap to the top. This cross member was the same one used in the 1st build so it was already narrowed for the Model A frame.

This gets me to a rolling chassis.

Cliff Ramsdell
    IMG_7664.JPG IMG_7728.JPG IMG_7732.JPG IMG_7759.JPG IMG_7780.JPG IMG_7782.JPG IMG_7784.JPG 207.JPG 208.JPG 209.JPG 233.JPG

glorydime, FlatJan, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  10. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Last one for today, Rolling chassis is complete. I very liberal use of more Krylon Appliance Epoxy and everything is ready to go together.

Bolted up and on stands it's ready to receive the rebuilt 276" Flathead and Rebuilt transmission.

Cliff Ramsdell
    076.JPG 096.JPG 097.JPG 100.JPG 102.JPG 106.JPG 107.JPG

Stogy, brEad, Blues4U and 6 others like this.
  11. unforgiven

unforgiven
    from East Tn

Cool looking before but wow going to be sweet this time. Like what you are doing

12. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Awesome work Cliff. Man you have been busy. The guy that bought my frame is doing a 30 2 door. Getting close to mounting the body on his.
    Good work.

jim

13. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

With the rolling chassis done its time for the motor and transmission. I picked up a motor for a fellow HAMB member, @smooth50 (https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/59ab-flathead-bored-and-stroked.989029/) and it was everything he said it was. It came with a 40 truck transmission in the deal and a bunch of loose parts, great guy, thanks Tristen.

Disassemble 100% and went through cleaning everything up and had the machine shop give the bare block the look over and run a hone through the bores and a round in the rotor wash machine, good to go.

Back together and added the parts I kept from my old motor along with a pair of stock 59AB heads.

Transmission was the truck case with mint set of gears I had been saving. Now its all together and into the car it goes. Everything is all bolted in and I'll add stuff so I can start the motor and break it in, next time.

Cliff Ramsdell
    119 (2).JPG 133 (3).JPG 134 (3).JPG 042.JPG 047.JPG 050.JPG 062.JPG 065.JPG 087.JPG 090 (2).JPG 177.JPG 180.JPG 353.JPG 354.JPG 011 (2).JPG 015 (2).JPG 023 (3).JPG 100 (2).JPG 075.JPG 427.JPG 428.JPG 103.JPG 124.JPG 500.JPG 504.JPG 502.JPG

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  14. triumph 1

triumph 1

Nice work, it’s looking great so far.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Cliff, thank you for taking the time to document all the fine work you have done on your sedan. I enjoyed the pictures and the story. Hope to see your car in person some day.

16. Bugguts

Bugguts

Great story so far, thanks for sharing.

17. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Will be great to see it back on the road.
    I like your trans rebuild support.

18. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Jim,
    It’s just a 3/4” floor flange and a 3” close nipple. I just screw it to the bench top when I need it. It’s easier than chasing the transmission around the bench.

Cliff Ramsdell

dwollam and Atwater Mike like this.
  19. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Where is western mass are you?

Cliff Ramsdell

20. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

I'm in Northfield, right on the Connecticut river.

21. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Oh yeah, the last mass exit off I91 north.

We should get together with the other New England guys sometime.

Cliff Ramsdell

LSJUNIPER likes this.
  22. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I have a short 2x4 bolted to the bottom 2 bolt holes in the trans . like yours better.

23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This is looking awesome. Great job! Looking forward to the rest of the story.

24. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Had to have the trans support. Now to drill the holes.

Thanks,

jim

25. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I want to say thanks to all you guy, Blues4U, Jim (48 ford nut) Triumph 1, hfh, Bugguts and packrat for the support. The HAMB is great and its nice to get feedback for your project.

Now, onto the body work. Like I said, I'm no body guy so i'll call my body work skills 5' work, looks good from 5' away but up close you can pick out the flaws. I wanted a color to make the car more finished. I had some spots that needed to be fixed, repaired that were fixed by others and a chopped top.

The top chop was a maybe/maybe not thing because you always 2nd guess your own skills (except Flop) and sometimes you think its better to not try then have it cut off and then your like, oh crap. I took another approach and decided that if I chooched it up too bad I would have a nice Tudor Roadster, maybe the grand kids would like that better.

So, here we go. Passenger side door was first. It had rot at the bottom and instead of buying patch panels I made my own stuff. Got a HF sheet metal brake to go with the 4x8 sheet of 16 gauge sheet metal. An inside patch, some bending and welding, hammer dolly work and BAM, fixed door, right?

Cliff Ramsdell
    003 (2).JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 009 (2).JPG 012 (2).JPG 013 (2).JPG 145 (2).JPG 147 (2).JPG 154 (2).JPG 157 (2).JPG

48fordnut likes this.
  26. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

WRONG.....The Model A door has a compound bend to it, across the door front front to back and then from top to bottom. Rookie mistake, in a hurry, didn't pay attention, i'm an idiot, you pick.

Hate the door, cut it off and start again.

Cliff Ramsdell
    020 (2).JPG 022 (2).JPG 023.JPG 024 (2).JPG 025 (2).JPG I bent the ends again like last time but then I cut some reliefs in there so it could be "rolled" in both directions.

026.JPG 027.JPG I'm 90% sure this is NOT how to use the acetylene tank from the torch set but, it worked mint getting both bends so nicely.

029 (2).JPG 031.JPG 033 (2).JPG 034 (2).JPG
    This time I used just the magnet to hold the metal at the seam, worked 100% better and the panel laid there perfectly. OK, happy with this panel. Weld and finish hammer and onto more body work.

27. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Wow Cliff ,you're up there with the greats. Looks good.

Tribalmonkey and Cliff Ramsdell like this.
  28. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I'm pretty sure the car was a hot rod in a prior life even though it came on a stock chassis. The firewall was all bashed in and holes patched. I replaced it with a nice stock one I picked up and then filled in all the unneeded holes and such. It was ok before, not ok now.

Cliff Ramsdell
    034 (3).JPG 657.JPG 658.JPG 661.JPG 076.JPG The rear wheel wells needed to be cleaned up too. I'm not running fenders and don't need all the holes and assorted items related to them. Figured that 16 ga was good for more than the door.

006 (2).JPG 007 (2).JPG 012 (4).JPG
    When I cut out the left side "patch" I found the original sheet metal under it, um, ok.

606.JPG 009 (4).JPG 014 (3).JPG
    Template, couple panels, some welding, good to go.

018 (3).JPG 042.JPG I was going to need a notch to clear the axle. The body was just an 1 1/2" away with nobody in the car so it's better to do this now and be done with it. I didn't want to take chances and most agree that 3" is a good number.

I cut it out, slit it and dollied it around. Since I had to cut the brace for the rear window track I made a pair of new ones and welded them in.

044 (2).JPG 045.JPG 051 (2).JPG 053.JPG
    There was a space between the body and the bracket I made so a pair of small filler pieces were welded in to bridge the gap.

056.JPG 060.JPG 061.JPG Well, us old guys usually have old guy knees which means that working like this is really not much fun, even with the nice, cushy knee pads. Plus its a tight space in there with the body up on saw horses.

063.JPG

'52 F-3, dwollam, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  29. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

OK, last one tonight. The stock 28/29 Tudor has a visor and this weird "eyebrow" above it, see the 1st pic. Its a logistical nightmare when I did the car the first time and now it's getting a 3" chop so what ever I could do to move the visor up is great.

The 30/31 Mounts higher and has a cleaner look, I'll get one of those. What, $150.00 or so ?!?$%! Ok, Plan B, I didn't know what plan B was at the time but we'll just throw some stuff at the wall and see what sticks, kinda like making spaghetti.

So, the end result was to cut the two "ears" off the stock visor and just move it up like 2 " or so and attach it to the top of the header, clean and smooth, yep, I like this look.

Cliff Ramsdell
    020 (3).JPG 074.JPG 075.JPG

modelacrazy, dwollam, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  30. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I don't know anything about that, I'm just a guy. I have some tools and I can used most of them. Mechanic, you bet. Body Guy, oh hell no.

Thanks and enjoy. How you making out? I'll head over there now.

Cliff Ramsdell

Stogy and 48fordnut like this.