Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Places - Where did you guys Street Race when you were a kid ?..... Could be interesting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corncobcoupe, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Budget36

Budget36

That's how we'd get the out of towners...they came in with 4.56's. etc....we would tell them 4 1/2 poles here...they always ran out of gear;)

swade41, wraymen and wicarnut like this.
  2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Nowadays it's "Son, are you going to write me up?" Cops these days look like kids. Sure seems like they were older back then.

wraymen, warhorseracing and wicarnut like this.
  3. sdluck

sdluck

There is Brotherhood way in San Francisco by the great highway.That was the hot spot for racing in San Fran .We took 5 cars up there from San Jose and went to A & W up there back in the late 70's. We weren't there 15 min before the cops showed up,they got on the PA and said 1 person come out to talk to them. I was elected, the officer asked me what we were doing there,I told him we heard the hamburgers were good there,he told me get them to go.Big Willie came and tried to organize us one time,first street was the cruising spot and my job was to set up the races,how much,and slicks or street tires.My buddy had a 340 dart,then we put a 440 in it then a 426 hemi,it was a race car. Lenard had a 440 super bee ,Don Mcgee had a 440 super bee.Paul walker had a 68 z-28 with a 454.Al tunnel ram cars .Cars were hot and heavy back in the day

wraymen, wicarnut and RDE like this.
  4. 63galaxie406

63galaxie406

I can’t believe no one from San Diego mentioned Otay Mesa or The Tidelands. Got busted at Otay Mesa the Sunday night before I was to go to the Grayhound station the next day for a ride to the induction center in L.A. Told the cops, “take me in, I’m going in the Army tomorrow “. They let me go. So I got to spend two “fun” years in the Army.

5. Budget36

Budget36

That route was my go to, in order to bypass the city traffic. I'm guessing this was before all the stoplights were in? Used to be able to time them at 30mph, never have to stop...I guess 60 or 90 would work too...lol

Atwater Mike likes this.
  6. Trans Canada Highway just north of town. 4 lane highway with lights and everything a young racing fool could want. Sometimes there was even an "official" to help document the evenings events. :eek:

Now I never got a ticket myself but one time the RCMP met me at my home to chat about the evenings earlier happenings. :oops:

wicarnut likes this.
  7. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Well, that is one of the few things that I've been pulled over for. Thought I was pretty cool dragging a datsun 240z in my bone stock Chevy luv truck light to light in downtown hillsboro back in my high school days. 3 red and blues came out of nowhere. Whoops. Lombard and the terminals were the Portland hot spots back in the day according to my dad. Trophies during the day, cash for the grudge at night

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wraymen and wicarnut like this.
  8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Just north of Red Oak Iowa on Hwy 48 in 1986. Started at the railroad tracks and ended at the next intersection just past the river bridge. You could see for a few miles ahead. Had(has) a 427 in my Caprice, so I didn`t need to race much at all. I`d just laugh at them. They just believed it was fast. Had View attachment 4158827 hydraulics installed in my car a year later when I was 17. So it was low and slow from then on.

wicarnut likes this.
  9. Perhaps the ultimate group of street racers. I've had this poster for almost 45 years.:D 20181005_140112.jpg

10. R Pope

R Pope

In the sixties on the Saskatchewan prairies we raced anything, any time, any place!

wicarnut likes this.
  11. RDE

RDE

Early '60's we raced on Coffin Road in San Jose.

wicarnut likes this.
  12. wicarnut

wicarnut

Milwaukee Wisconsin, 64-70 time frame for me. Wisconsin ave. Saturday night cruise was a huge event, would line up $ street races there and several other spots, Big Boys Hwy 100 south side, Villard ave A&W, Big Boys on Capitol dr, Kitts on Capitol dr, Pig&Whistle east Capitol dr, some of the race spots I remember this AM, Milwaukee Clipper drag strip/road in front of parking lot where ship docked, road on east side of Timmerman airport, the new Hwy 41 leaving Milwaukee NW, Beloit road, west villard ave, impromptu street races, any stop light late night, street, road. Some of these spots had fatalities and that moved the somewhat organized street racing to new spots, always changing as the Police were ramping up to stop it as it was pretty wild/crazy/dangerous. I have many stories/memories/Fun/adventures from my youth and my entire life. All of my life has been great,(a few bumps in the road) worked hard/played hard, I have been Very Lucky/Fortunate to have my Guardian Angel that has watched over me all these years, used to joke about having 9 lives like a cat as I surely past that number up. Very grateful to be here, pretty good health, 1/2 a brain left, found the HAMB to share my history with, Enjoy reading other's stories.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  13. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Vista del Mar in Los Angeles. It was a long stretch that ran along the beach west of L.A. airport. At one time it got so intense that people even trailered in gassers.

Atwater Mike and wicarnut like this.
  14. wicarnut

wicarnut

Your story brought this memory up this AM. Milwaukee Wi. 1966, Big Boys, Capitol dr. This was a hot spot for cruising, lining up street races. Saturday night, 2 new Hemi Dodges show up on trailers, open headers, slicks, full out drag cars. I could not believe what happened next, very well organized, we lined Capitol dr as spectators, cars blocked side streets and Capitol dr for a 1/2+ mile and the race was on. Wow ! what a show, everything went back to normal in a few minutes and then the cops showed up, cars back on trailers. If I wasn't there, I'd call BS on this story myself.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    loudbang, Budget36, racer-x and 2 others like this.
  15. How true and they all wore aviator shades. At court I couldn't tell if my officer showed up or not, they all looked the same.
    Now they pull me over just to check the car out. I got out of a major ticket on my sport bike because the kid couldn't believe a 60 year old was under all that riding gear. Kind of cool but at the same time it kind of sucks too. Different world or different perspective.......maybe a little of both.

dan31, loudbang, blowby and 1 other person like this.
  16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Another thing we liked to do was a road race a little, but you had to be careful, Southeastern Ohio was loaded with old culverts. You know, the WPA kind with concrete side rails that looked like they could survive a direct nuclear hit.

17. In the late 50's/early 60's in Southern Cal, at the east-end of the San Gabriel Valley was the sleepy little town of Covina. To the east, between the area known as Charter Oak and San Dimas, was an area that was all orange groves with only a few houses that were owned by the growers. This area had virtually no traffic after 9:00 pm., Cypress Ave., a two lane road, ran from Baldwin Park to nearly San Dimas where it made a turn to the north and became Lone Hill Rd. Approximately 3/4 of a mile to the west of the curve was where we had a marked 1/4 mile. This area was known as "dead mans curve" to the local's, a flat 90 degree turn to the north that had a "posted" 15 MPH speed limit and a 60 foot drop, a few yards from the road, into the creek that ran from Puddingstone Dam to the south. The race's were usually "set up" at In N Out or in the parking lot of J & M Donuts.

dana barlow and wicarnut like this.
  18. Firestone Drive in Pottstown , Rt 100 bypass before it opened . County Line Rd. near Boyertown .

lothiandon1940 and wicarnut like this.
  19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was a white line for the start. Someone would hold back the other cars wanting on the 405. Race was done with who went under the Arbor Vita overpass first(1/4 mile). 405 entrance was on the same street as C&O Hydro.

jnaki and wicarnut like this.
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There were too many in So Cal to mention but my favorite in the late 50's early 60's was Imperial Hwy. along side LAX south side in El Segundo. The line up started at the Main Street signal heading west so no starter was needed; the road ended at Vista Del Mar and the Pacific Ocean next to the "shit" plant...Hyperion. Some damn fine cars came to race...

wicarnut, jnaki and wraymen like this.
  21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I never raced at Brotherhood that I can recall but when I worked in the City we used to go down there after work and watch. My best memory was watching two guys arrive in a beautiful white over black '56 Bel Air, pop the slicks out of the trunk and uncork the headers like they'd done it a hundred times, just like TLB.

Did race the Great Highway though, so many cars there were staging lanes!

They raced on Carroll street some too, down by Hunters Point and Candlestick.

scott27, wicarnut and wraymen like this.
  22. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the last half of the 50's in Tacoma, WA. Busch's Drive in was the place to be. Street racing on Pacific Ave and South Tacoma Ave.

wicarnut likes this.
  23. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

In the Boston area in the early 60's we had quite a few places we used to do a little racin' after dark.
    "Wheeldog" mentioned the marsh earlier. We used to run off the Ballard St light heading toward Revere but you only did that once because the dink that owned "Peters Pizza" would get the cops down there after the first pass.
    The ramp on C1 in East Boston by the airport, the I-93 connecter before it was open, the Revere Beach Parkway by the Big Burger Ranch, Route 2 heading out to Concord, Route 1 in Saugus off the lights at "The Red Coach" either North or South, Route 128 in Reading. Every other Sunday we would head up to Sanford Airport for some legal fun. Ahh the good old days!!!

wicarnut likes this.
  24. 4tford

4tford

Stecker street in Detroit

25. Wi car nut did you ever race in the valley noth east of county stadium? I read a journal times article on the racing there. It was before my time.

wicarnut likes this.
  26. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Street raced at the world famous "Hall street" in St.Louis

27. Steve Norton

Steve Norton

Late 60’s Sherman Minton bridge between Indiana and Kentucky. Is a double deck bridge. You could race over and then race back. 3 lanes wide each direction. Great times
    Back then

28. wicarnut

wicarnut

Kinda remember being in that area a few times, there was a big factory on National ave, around 40th st ? I seem to remember racing on road behind the factory east/west, the local police (West allis or ? ) put a stop to that spot quickly, you were trapped in the area, not many escape roads I seem to remember. The freeway system changed that area some with the southbound exit by the ballpark after this time. Funny some things I remember crystal clear, we are talking 50+ years ago and some fuzzy, the spot you asked about, fuzzy, BUT glad I remember anything these days, The HAMB is like a therapy session for me and many Senior's I'm sure. This CRS program comes and goes, PIA and not improving with age. I was on my head open wheel racing more times than necessary, ( slow learner ) that's my excuse and sticking with it. LOL

ring gap, racer-x and wraymen like this.
  29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I can't believe nobody mentioned Torrey Pines Road! That was huge in the mid 70's-mid 80's. People still race there, though nowadays it's mostly ricers and late model Muscle such as Hellcats, etc. I remember going mostly to Torrey Pines, Kearney Villa, Otay Mesa (WAY back before the toll road, State prison, 2nd border crossing and mega industrial parks).
    The Car Craft magazine series may have been Cruisin' USA. They did a feature at Grand Avenue in Escondido (after me and a few friends attending the '79 Car Craft Western Street Machine Nats in LA invited one of their photographer's down). By then, late late Saturday night saw guys trailering in cars (from LA) and hanging out in the East end of the strip parking lots looking for race deals.
    The twin turbo'd, Mopar powered T Bucket might have been Larry Hoefer's (sp?). He always drove that around with his left leg hanging out. It was silly fast. Used to be a wicked 55 Chevy 150 sedan-black, flip front, blown BBC, polished Centerlines.
    Our topography and dense population makes it tough to find an isolated, flat, straight road. Mission Gorge East of Princess View and Hwy 52 West of 805 were always good places to open it up.

My favorite is a lesser known East County on Moreno Ave. in Lakeside. Runs parallel to/about a mile away from Hwy 67. Straight and flat, about 2 miles long. South end lots of ranch homes but North end industrial/agricultural/antennae farm. It wasn't a big crowd scene, but rather a place for a small group of racers to travel to, race, then get the hell out. I came across it in the mid 70's by accident traveling the road one day and noticed the burnout box, painted start and finish lines. Pavement isn't nearly as clean as it used to be but it's still a good place to make a shakedown power run 7:00-8:00AM on a Sunday (cop shift change), then split.

Looking South from old start line;

upload_2019-1-15_17-22-42.png

dana barlow, RICH B and GuyW like this.
  30. hotrod_34

hotrod_34

We used to go to Rankin Rd, closer to the IH45 and 1960 area in Houston in the mid 80s. It was a wide two lane with street lights. Big crowds would show up. 30-45 minutes later the place would be swarming with cops.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.