Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Really sad !!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave Castle, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Dave Castle

Dave Castle

Posted a "wanted" ad about a week ago, got 5 responses, all scams! One guy just copied pics off e-bay & said they were his, REALLY SAD !!!!!

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It's a different world we live in.

Hollywood-East and scotty t like this.
  3. upspirate

upspirate

If on here report to a mod or Ryan.....helps if you are a Alliance member also

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  4. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

If they just signed up and no posts - YEP A SCAM.
    Don't also fall for the my HAMB'r friend sent me your ad - I've got the parts you want.

NEVER send anything by Money Gram , Walmart Gram, Western Union, Postal Money Order - nothing !!!!!!

Use Paypal - ( still a risk but most minimal ) or CASH IN PERSON.

ALSO - if the guys who contacted you actually has a HAMB name - please forward it to us Mods to take care of.

Thanks

5. I like to send 'em a picture of my pecker. Can't figure out a response meaning legitimate or scammer though. They just leave me alone thereafter.

Apologies to any of you dudes actually trying to sell me parts. Maybe hit me again, after the pecker pic'. So I know. :D:D Hahaha.

6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

From what I understand is if a credit card is tied to paypal the buyer can go through his card (charge back) and your out parts and money if your a seller. Am I wrong ?

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

As a buyer , do you not have certain level of safety in a postal money order ?

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

He just signed up with only 4 posts since late October. People would be leery on the other end too.

9. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

It might be time for me to create another decal. I will get busy working on it today.
    That's a promise.
    WE SHOOT SCAMMERS & We have shovels !!!
    Jimbo

10. Why not have a setup where you can’t use the classifieds to either buy or sell unless you have a certain post count or you are an alliance member?
    It would stop most of this shit in its tracks!
    IMHO as a relative newbie

BigO, Hollywood-East, chubbie and 9 others like this.
  11. Dave Castle

Dave Castle

However with a little effort, you would see he is a senior member of Ford Barn !

loudbang and upspirate like this.
  12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

He who, you. And with a Studebaker as your avatar, who would of thought. Sorry, the only sight I go on is the HAMB. Have a friend who makes purchases off the internet as well. Less than 5 a year. I`m not to computer friendly. Still have a flip phone.

The37Kid and loudbang like this.
  13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Careful, that didn't work out too well for Bret Favre. :D

1946caddy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I have a 51 pick up for sale on EBAY (OT, billet wheels) and have received a half dozen obvious scam messages. It seems like "let the buyer beware" needs to be changed to "let the seller beware". Fortunately, I think the HAMB has some good safeguards in place but we still all need to be vigilant.

BigO, craig b blue and loudbang like this.
  15. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I'm with you on this one Ricky. If you spend so much time on Ford Barn, advertise there.
    Yeah, it sucks we live in a society where it's hard to find honest people to buy and sell with. On the other hand, if no one on here knows you, and your only activity on here is in the ads, you look like someone looking for a quick buck.
    I bet if a senior member of this site were to create an account on Ford Barn and only posted ads, he would get the same response.
    Spend some time here and get the feel of the place. Then put out some feelers, and I bet you'll get some honest responses.

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

The37Kid likes this.
  16. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Also as a buyer. Happened to me in 2010.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's Just beware period. It's pretty easy to ask a potential seller to send you photos with the front page of the current local paper in the photo with the item though.
    From talking to people who spot my HAMB T shirt at swap meets or events when I wear one I'd say that there probably just as many people who only log on to check the classifieds to buy or sell as there are regular active members here on the board. I've had more than one say that they never actually even check the board but search the classifieds on a regular basis.

loudbang likes this.
  18. XXL__

XXL__

USE THE BUILT-IN FEEDBACK SYSTEM. Ryan and company have installed tools to give you some confidence in who you are dealing,with. Click on any user's profile, click Trading Stats. You can see who has been buying and selling with whom... gives some measure of confidence that you are dealing with a real person.

loudbang likes this.
  19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

A want add is like tossing your line with bait in the water, you better be ready for anything.

brEad, Sky Six, spurgeonforge and 3 others like this.
  20. Dave Castle

Dave Castle

"Spend some time here and get the feel of the place. Then put out some feelers, and I bet you'll get some honest responses." So if I read this quote correctly, it translates to, "We only deal honestly with long term members?" Sorry that is not how I was raised !!
    Have a lovely day !!

21. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Just a few mouths ago , I sold 5 original & restored 1932 ford wheels & new tires & deliverd to a older gentleman in South Carolina , all most Ga, ( 1/4 of the value ) all communication was done through the HAMB @ first then threw text . he was very pleased with the restoration and the quality of the wheels ,. I asked him to make sure to leave a positive feedback on the HAMB for the transaction and sale , he did not do so . Most only leave a feed back if theres a promblem ,Not for a GOOD Transaction/ Dealing !!

49ratfink likes this.
  22. XXL__

XXL__

All you can do is ask. I have quite a bit of feedback, but still, only about 30% of the people I deal with leave any. We're mostly old coots on this board, and many don't have much interest or patience in "computer stuff." But, of course, the feedback tool isn't any good if people don't use it.

I recommend--

Point them to your feedback profile while discussing a deal (assuming you have ANY feedback).

During the deal (ie, after the seller ships), remind the other party to leave feedback after they get their goods and check them out. I do this in a message to buyer that lets them know the package has been shipped, provides them tracking numbers, and lets them know how to leave feedback. Buyers-- you have the ability to initiate this conversation as well. Don't be shy. I want to know you're not a flaky buyer too.

Also... don't leave neutral or negative feedback because you had buyer's remorse or without trying to resolve any issue privately. You're trashing another board member for the whole world to see. If you want 24x7 customer service, free returns, and white glove treatment, know that costs money. If you want a $500 part and only want to pay $250, you may want to reset your own expectations.

Follow the feedback. When someone leaves feedback, always check the OTHER feedback they've left. You can quickly ID the jerks who can't ever be pleased, as well as the folks who are easy to deal with.

Don't "feedback" a product review (ie, this impact wrench doesn't have enough torque to remove my lug nuts) unless the seller actually MANUFACTURED the product and/or provided deceptive information prior to purchase.

Sellers, provide as much info about your item as possible. Post large, quality photos, including pics that reveal damage. Answer questions unambiguously. "I don't know" is better than making something up, but pointing them to a legitimate information source is even better.

Finally... caveat emptor.

The37Kid and williebill like this.
  23. funny...I have a little OT a 1966 on the bay....and get a message thru my personal computer - that really looks like scam -asking how much it would be to ship it to XYZ.....my ad says local pick up - went to my Ebay site and just said - no I don't....hope I'm protected from someone trying to get in to my computer....

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think it took me a year or so before I felt right about using the classifieds here on the HAMB. They are FREE, you should do something, provide a few answers, help someone, build up some type of confidence with the HAMB Family, this isn't the Ford Barn. I need to renew my Alliance membership. Bob

25. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think you read the quote correctly or maybe you did not understand what was said. It's also entirely possible that your got your feelings hurt and took your football and went home.

People whom are looking to be offended are rarely disappointed.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Well said.

Bob

27. Dave Castle

Dave Castle

I will stand by my original statement, " REALLY SAD ", I'm out !

28. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, Dave, maybe this will help a little. Everyone is (or should be) aware of online scamers. Parts wanted ads are notorious for attracting scammers. Often these suspected scammers search "wanted" items and miraculously just happen to have that part! What a coincidence.

Next, these suspected scammers join the group that has the "wanted" part listed. So now you have a brand new person offering a part to the person usually at a great discount. And then suddenly the money goes away as the scammer cashes the Western Union chit or draws the money out of his brand new PayPal account.

Can this happen when the part is offered by a person that has been on said list for years and has a high post count and a history of completed satisfactory sales? I guess it could happen but it is very unlikely. Now consider the difference between that old guy and the new guy. That is what was meant by being around a while and it does work both ways. New folks are a little suspect when they are new and only participate in the buy/wanted portions of this board.

If I were you, I would try it again without looking for a problem. Yes, scammers are out there and you should be aware of how they operate. Can I guarantee a safe and honest transaction from all these 1000's of folks? Nope, but I think the vast majority are honest folks. Someone on here has a signature line something like "Trust everyone but brand your cattle". There you go!

pitman and The37Kid like this.
  29. chubbie

chubbie

I sold a part a few weeks ago to a guy that joined the HAMB just to buy my part. He googled for the used part and found the HAMB. I was cautious and so was he. Imagine finding the HAMB when you are starting a hotrod build.

brEad and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

@Rocky

kidcampbell71 likes this.