Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical aod in a 46 sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Glen Conway, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Glen Conway

Glen Conway

I have a 351w in my 46 sedan. How difficult would it be to replace the fmx with an aod?

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Not quite a bolt in, but close. You will likely have to move the trans mount rearward. The yoke may (or may not) have a different spline, but the driveshaft length "should" be close, but if anything, the AOD is a bit longer. You will have to add a Throttle Valve cable for the AOD, the Lokar kit works well. I think you will also have to replace the flexplate, the bolt pattern is the same, but the offset is different with the AOD, due to the deeper torque converter needed for the OD lock-up.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  3. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

You definitely have to get a different flexplate, also the AOD has a second shaft which means the output bypasses the torque converter so if you have a high rear end ratio, the engine will lug. When you hook up a pressure control cable to the carburetor, it must be adjusted with a pressure gauge hooked up to the middle port on the right hand side of the trans. If you don't use a gauge to set pressure, the trans can be burned up pretty fast. I have an AOD in my 32 and with a 3:50 rear ratio, my engine is turning about 1700rpms.

4. Glen Conway

Glen Conway

I have everything but am not sure it will fit between the wishbone. I still have the oem axle and steering.

5. Glen Conway

Glen Conway

Will it fit between the wishbone? I have all the parts just didn't want to get into splitting the bones.

6. Glen Conway

Glen Conway

7. Glen Conway

Glen Conway

Gears won't be a problem. I have a 9" with Yukon traklock with Motive 3:70 gears.

8. Glen Conway

Glen Conway

Thanks, I have all the parts just wasn't sure it will fit with oem wishbone & the floor pan. I have 3:70 gears.

9. Glen Conway

Glen Conway

I have everything Just wondering about the wishbone & floor. TCI sells a constant pressure valve body that will save the trans if cable isn't adjusted exactly correct or fails. Thanks for the info.

10. Glen Conway

Glen Conway

Thanks fort the reply. I have all the parts needed. Going to install a TCI constant pressure valve body for ins against cable incorrectly adjusted or failure. $245 is cheaper than a tranny rebuild.

11. Glen Conway

Glen Conway

TCI makes a constant pressure valve body to protect against cable adjustment. $245.

12. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The TCI constant pressure valve body is good, but you still have to have a TV cable and set it correctly. It just gives a bit more margin for error. Whether or not it will fit, I am not sure, that may be a case of having to hoist it up there and check it out yourself. The AOD is wider at the end due to the overdrive section and short tail housing, it also has a much longer pan, so I could see were it would have clearance issues with the wishbones, but I have never actually done that conversion on a '46.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy likes this.
  13. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

I replaced the fordomatic in my parklane with an aod .after adding the adapter to the YBlock it was the same overall length as the original tranny and a hundred pounds lighter.as for adjusting the tv cable I did it like Ford did .at idle the cable is neutral no slack no tension .that worked much better than lokars spacer and gauge .as for room I had plenty no massaging anywhere .i did make a new trans mountm bracket though .over 5000 miles and very consistent shifts

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a kit to install a 700R into your style frame with wider trans pan. An AOD may be similar however whether or not it can be installed whilst retaining OEM wishbone is another question. I'd suggest that there will be some fabrication involved

upload_2019-1-16_11-35-54.png

upload_2019-1-16_12-25-55.png
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Glen Conway

Glen Conway

Out of all these posts no one answered my question. I am well aware of the workings of an AOD. I was just looking for info on whether or not it would fit between the wishbone & if I would need to build a new tunnel. I am pretty sure the bones will have to be split but unsure of floor interference. My last attempt at this so if no one has any info I will just cancel my membership.

16. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Are you going to ask for a refund?

Automotive Stud and uncle buck like this.
  17. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glen, first of all, if you're thinking about working on the sedan in your avatar, that's a nice ride. Secondly, I can't answer your question because I don't know. I have a 46 Merc that I was considering swapping an SBC and 350 into and my first order of business would be to pull the front floor plate up and start measuring. @FrozenMerc and @mgtstumpy gave you dimensions that should get you headed in the right direction. I sincerely hope you don't have to split the bones. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

18. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic, but if your are serious (and I am assuming you are since it has been 16 months since you posted the original question), quit your whining, go out into the shop, lift that sucker up in there and start measuring. Plan on having to split the bones and modify the floor. If you don't have to do one or both those, consider it a win. Also, take pictures, make notes, and start a technical thread on here when you get it done so that it helps out the next person that wants to do this swap and they can see what it takes. The HAMB is all about doing, building, and figuring shit out, if you expect some one to grab you by the nose and walk you through it, then go ahead and cancel that membership.

If you were sarcastic. Ignore the above paragraph and kudos.

Automotive Stud likes this.
  19. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

That's hot rodding. Sometimes you just have to figure it out yourself. It would take a volume of encyclopedias to cover every engine and transmission swap into every car. And even then the way one guy does it will be different from the next guy. Only way to know for sure is to do it yourself.

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I put an AOD in my avatar 47 Lincoln, but I had to drop the wishbone about 2” to get pan clearance. Dropping the bone gives you a bit more caster, which can be a good thing, it was in my car. Helped it to track straighter going down the road.

21. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

The kit that MGTSTUMPY showed is for a 35-40 frame, not the 41-48 frame. It is most likely that you will have to split the bones and widen out the center of the X to get the AOD in there. The center if the X on the later frames is much narrower than the 35-40's. We do make a kit for widening the center that is a weld in unit and is quite a project if the car is a runner.