Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Transverse front suspension travel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Dec 11, 2018.

1. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Your best and what's best are two very subjective terms

neverdun and jeepsterhemi like this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: The same advice I gave Frank applies to you :D Move along, take your meds and have a nice day.

What is it with the grumpy old bastards ? Are they just bored ? :D

neverdun and Bandit Billy like this.
  3. F&J

F&J

Hell, I ain't grumpy OR bored... I took my daily driver 32 to run errands this afternoon, and flirted with quite a few girls. ...matter of fact, the first one running the register said "we don't let anyone in that's not smiling".

You should try finishing your car, you're missing out..;)

Blue One likes this.
  4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Like f&j says you're missing out , it's almost painful watching someone obsessing over "details" that no one gives a shit about , and the few who do need to get a life..
    AFA you finishing it , God forbid , you could drop dead tonight , then the car could go for scrap , think about that .

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’ll finish it and then I’ll enjoy it.
    If it happened that I didn’t, then my son would finish it and then he’d have the fun.

6. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Go man, go!
    It will get finished (I'm banking on it as I'm living vicariously through you since I haven't been able to touch my build in 6 months)

Bobby

Blue One likes this.
  7. I’m not commenting on the debates about Larry’s build, however I think it needs to be said that it’s currently-25 Celsius up here and a couple feet of snow so even if it was done he probably wouldn’t be driving it for about another three months at least. I commend him on his attention to detail and the ability to see it through to his vision.

I’m also not looking for comments on how everyone else drives in any conditions etc. The calcium they use as ice melter on our roads eats everything it touches.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. I wasn't aware of this "sickness" being in the DSM 5.

Any show car,,, AMBER, Ridler, GNRS, and the lesser shows, period correct cars, restorations, clones and quality customs has the same.

You should not let Larry continue to build this car for you anymore if you don't like it. I'm Pretty sure you can fire him- then he will be stuck with it.
    DO IT! that will show him

OFT, Bandit Billy, Blue One and 2 others like this.
  9. X-cpe

X-cpe

How many times have we said details make the car. We all just don't drool over the same details or number of details.

I'm building my car for when I'm alive. Even if I don't finish it, I don't think I'm going to give a crap when I'm dead

brEad, bobbytnm and Blue One like this.
  10. X-cpe

X-cpe

Upon further review, because the bend in the tie rod has to stay in its designed plane, the smallest change in toe you could make by turning one tie rod end would be about 3/16" to 1/4". The other problem I see with a tie rod with an offset is that the weight of the offset would cause the tie rod to droop.

I would think that making the bends (just enough to move the tie rod one diameter) as close to the ends of the tie rod as possible could help in two ways. It would minimize the droop and reduce the flexing load on the bends.

Have you considered machining your own turnbuckle with male threads on one end and female on the other. That way you could put it between the tie rod and the tie rod end to take it out of the flex zone and remove one joint from the system. Or, perhaps, find an outer tie rod end with the right threads, taper and diameter off of a rack for use with the turnbuckle you are getting.

Blue One likes this.
  11. X-cpe

X-cpe

Another thought, can you get longer steering arms?

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

There is also the option of one of these on one end ( Male and female double adjusters) along with the tie rod end, or maybe even one on each side to balance things out.
    That would put the adjustment out on the ends rather than in the middle like the double male ended adjuster would, taking the joint out of the so called flex zone.

As far as flex goes, I doubt very much that will be a problem, the 7/8" OD stainless tie rod tubing I got is very stout, that .156 wall is way stronger than the typical tie rod tubing wall thickness of .120 that's used when the tie rod ends are the 11/16 " thread.
    I also don't see drooping of the tie rod to be an issue either as the offset will not be huge and there's lots of room for a small amount of droop if it happens.
    049-all56199.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    jimgoetz likes this.
  13. 5/8 threads, kinda limits you to spherical rod ends; not there is anything wrong with them.;)

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No, actually it doesn’t. I’m going to pick up a pair of polished stainless tie rod ends in 5/8-18 thread from SoCal SpeedShop.
    I already have 4 of them on my wishbones where they mount to the frame. :cool:
    https://www.est1946.com/tierodend-58-18thread.aspx

7ED423A4-5818-4315-90F6-2C31B27045EB.jpeg

neverdun, RICH B, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So a little bit of playing around with my bender using 1/2” rigid aluminum conduit (close to the 7/8 ” OD of my tie rod tubing) shows that 2 nicely placed bends of 30 degrees each gets my tie rod exactly where it will need to be.

Now that I know how much length is lost in the bends, I’ll be able to bend my tie rod tubing.

That can happen once my new tie rod ends and the double adjusters for the ends arrive and I can mock up and measure the proper length.

AFB25903-F432-426C-8CFB-AFDF03E71575.jpeg B957B5FD-4B04-486C-8831-E739FD2A33E0.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    brad2v and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It’s much cheaper bending conduit for your pattern.
    It would hurt bending the expensive stuff and maybe make scrap.:D :eek:

EAF3531A-38E0-4CBF-80A8-B22E0E24416C.jpeg

17. X-cpe

X-cpe

Your picture of the left side makes it look like the tie rod will rub the brake hose when turning right.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It’s close now but that’s just the mock up aluminum tubing. The bends on the ends will be slightly further inboard when the double adjusters are added to the tie rod ends.

That will keep things away from the brake hoses just like the straight tie rod does now

On top of that the tie rod moves forward towards the radiator when turning.

Everything is going to work and have the needed space and clearance.

And the best part is no adjuster in the middle and a nice strong .156 wall thickness tie rod.

brEad likes this.
  19. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will we see the car at Deuce Days?

Warren

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

At this point in time I don’t think I’ll make it due to other family stuff.
    The way I understand it also is that the event is full for registration now so I couldn’t register.
    It's a shame really that they didn't hold some spots open for people who showed up the day of the event or registered last minute.
    I wasn't sure I was even going to be finished in time etc.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  21. X-cpe

X-cpe

Its nice when it all comes together and you get function without sacrificing your aesthetic. How much sleep did you loose fussing over " what if I's" in your mind? :D I love this type of thread because they make me aware of pieces I can use when I go "alternative". Plus the more you see, learn and know, the more you can make up as you go along to solve a problem. Bless the H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    brad2v, bobbytnm, Blue One and 2 others like this.
  22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    brad2v, brEad, Bandit Billy and 5 others like this.
  23. X-cpe

X-cpe

Saw that today and thought "end of discussion". You just reinvented 50 years ago.

neverdun and Blue One like this.
  24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I tried earlier in the thread to say that I wasn’t going to be the first one to bend a tie rod.:D
    I’ve seen other examples in the past :cool:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    brad2v, 57 Fargo and Bandit Billy like this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It will work fine.

I have built a number of them. No reported issues.

57 Fargo and Blue One like this.
  26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Now once my tie rod ends show up I’ll be able to make my tie rod and then set my toe in. :cool:

AC55C063-62E9-4932-A73E-8D853235BAAC.jpeg DD1D6F4C-5515-4FA7-A542-9B3C8E1D6EE8.jpeg 4ECC4DAA-B260-4486-B0C4-29EE7F002D82.jpeg

27. mkebaird

mkebaird

Nice tool! Much better than the tape I usually use.

Blue One likes this.
  28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So today I spent the day bending and then polishing my new tie rod tube.

I had figured out the length I needed and how much I would lose with the bends and had the tube cut and re-threaded on the right hand threaded end at a local machine shop.

My wife helped me out with getting the bends set up and oriented properly it was a two person job.

Then afterwards when I had it installed she helped me dial in and measure 1/8” of toe in.

The gauge I made worked great so did having the double adjusters on each side.

So now there’s lots of clearance for the mechanical fan and tomorrow I’ll work on the shroud. :cool:

CF1C9607-EA31-4074-8E85-BA5DD67E8EF6.jpeg EABE33CD-18BF-405F-B278-72B6F3CE6524.jpeg BC0FB443-7FAF-4861-AECF-193BC2FD2698.jpeg 678EDFF0-446C-43BD-A535-F5758BF02514.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    neverdun, brad2v, OFT and 1 other person like this.
  29. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Might just be the pic angles but it looks like you could pull the fan back a little more by taking a bit out of the spacer. You have the tie rod room. Nice solution. Won't be long now;)