Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag Race Museum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PaRatRod, Jan 12, 2019.

1. PaRatRod

PaRatRod

One of my summer excursions included a visit to the Don Garlits Drag Race museum. If you are a fan of old drags this is a must do if you ever get to the west coast of Florida. It also included so much more. Many antique cars, muscle cars, vintage stuff, engines, manifolds, parts, tools, etc. This place is so cool.

Don't forget to click on the gear and select HD for best quality.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. weeniewawa

weeniewawa

Don is the greatest drag racer ever, I have met him a couple of times way back and he was always very nice. thanks for this nice tour.

loudbang and PaRatRod like this.
  4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Saw him doing a You Tube video with the electric dragster, where he says, "this is the future".
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

PaRatRod likes this.

5. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

It is an amazing display and could easily fill a whole day if you want. however it's just a easy to access from the east coast as the west coast it's pretty close to the center right on side of I-75. Easy to hit on way to Orlando theme parks etc.

PaRatRod likes this.
  6. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Street rod events are periodically held at the Garlits museum. They are not Garlits events but are put on by clubs, promoters, etc. who arrange to use the Garlits grounds. So kill two birds with one stone. Go to one of these events and tour the museum. The VSRA (a pre-48 group) has an event there in late March. I believe event registration includes museum admission.
    www.vsra-usa.com

7. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was in the area last March and there was a Billetproof show going on the Sat. I was there. Did the museum and also Don was having his garage sale about the same time so I went in to check that out. Got a chance to look through some of his old stuff and chat with him. Got him to sign his book for me. Nice guy. I overheard him telling someone he just renewed his drag racing license at 82! He was excited about running battery powered electric dragsters!

PaRatRod likes this.
  8. PaRatRod

PaRatRod

Still innovating at 82! I hope I make it to 82 let alone still be able to physically work on cars- LoL!

alfin32 and GordonC like this.
  9. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Some of the stories about Don Garlits are the Real Deal like the time at Englishtown when he left the starting line and did a giant wheel stand where the dragster flipped over backwards and yet some how managed to land on it's wheels at mid track and he then drove it back to the starting line and stopped and got out to the crowd which was going crazy at that point.
    The guy is a living legend for things he has accomplished in drag racing and when you consider all of the remarkable inventions he has come up with to make drag racing safer he is the Man.
    Jimbo

loudbang, raven and PaRatRod like this.
  10. He is 87 years old tomorrow...we hope to "park" the funny car at his place after the Gator's for a few months until season starts to heat up, you guys will be able to catch a glimpse of an old Buick flopper!

loudbang, Chucky and PaRatRod like this.
  11. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been to the museum several times and thoroughly enjoyed it. The last time I was there, Don was hanging around and gave my son and I a nice tour. I first met Don in 1962 when we camped together with Eddie Hill at the Indy Nationals. We got in on passes given to us by Tommy Ivo. WOW, what a name dropper this guy is. It's all been fun.

Warren

PaRatRod and loudbang like this.
  12. Silverplate

Silverplate

13. PaRatRod

PaRatRod

loudbang likes this.
  14. PaRatRod

PaRatRod

And thats a good name to drop!

loudbang likes this.
  15. elba

elba

Last May I took my Grandson who is 13 to the NHRA meet in Atlanta where we had seats in The Coca Cola suite. This was his very first drag race ever . We were there a couple hrs. and Don walked in with Warren Johnson . I said to my Grandson, " look there is Don Garlits " . My Grandson said " Who's that" "

PaRatRod and loudbang like this.
  16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I was there about 20 years ago...Don was working on an old yellow Ford convertible...46-8? Yelled to my dad to stop the car. I got out and walked up like I owned the place. He was great!
    I even got to meet his mom. She greeted everyone who walked through the door of the museum.

17. PaRatRod

PaRatRod

Kids-LoL!!!

Did he know who Warren Johnson was? Don and Warren are definitely two of my favorites. Two guys that really know there stuff and have been there and done that.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  18. PaRatRod

PaRatRod

Some more oldies but goodies!