Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How to afford an older station wagon?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Jan 12, 2019.

1. As most of you know I have always been in to station wagons even before they began to be cool again.I have a NEWER Buick station wagon with the 3rd row seat. It was sitting in a barn for a long time. Its taken me almost a year to get it road worthy again. I got it from a fellow in central N.C. so it has no rust. I sold him a Buick wagon a few years ago so I got it very cheap.Just installed everything in the front end ,just have to get it lined up.I run it to work most every day. It still gets looks.but with the prices of the old wagons going sky high I know if I sell this one how will I able to afford an older one. Remember .I just turned 65 so I aint no spring chicken when it come to fixing them up,{BUT I STILL CAN LOL.}Not asking for pity just asking the best way to go about it. Its GOOD to be back on the board again. I hope you all had a GOOD Christmas and a Happy New Year. Bruce. 002.JPG

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

My standard answer to anyone trying to fund any project is to list stuff on eBay. Stuff that may be common in your area has collector value 1-2 thousand miles away were it may be a rare item. Easy to box and mail items are best. Happy New Year! Bob

3. squirrel

squirrel

Age 65 is a bit late to be learning how to save money or build wealth, unfortunately.

But like he says, it's not too late to learn how to sell stuff to turn things you don't use, into cash, to buy things you want now.

4. 5window

5window

Almost 70, I agree. If you aren't retired, it's hard to find a better paying job. (Although I'm making about 60% more working part time per hour-but I can't do it everyday). So, I agree. Pare down the things you don't need for cash for something you do NEED. And maybe get a part-time job. Just make sure you've got your main ducks lined up first-home, health, food, clothing. If you have no major debts, you're one of the richest people in the world. Best of luck.

5. I found mine on face book.
    3FA7A0C7-5798-43C9-92FC-1858F4348EA1.jpeg
    3k for a nice roller
    I love how some of you guys hate that creation
    It’s just a giant electronic want add with a huge gossip column ( you can skip that gossip part)
    Found these wagons with a simple fb search
    67463BE7-C822-4F71-8219-A197C9E97E9D.png 7B1C0129-14B1-4081-A36D-9D3B901987B3.png DE3FE95D-FC16-4726-AE7F-EEE580DA9CF0.png 13CFEC32-C180-4659-8359-5F0260FB5324.png 0D0E4C9F-8F76-4BA4-9D23-6D83F214A99A.png 591C6407-AEA0-42AA-BF5A-67FBC2495A01.png 7D45293B-F60E-4037-9C18-6A9992868F46.png 5DBB3788-59F8-489B-8C5C-7C4659826308.png CD983A0F-D461-4371-A486-E2F78E70B29A.png 3D57544F-E456-44F0-B77C-9C3382E0F3D3.png
    Swapping and trading is how I usually buy stuff. Visits to scrap yards buying parts that I know I can flip/ trade or trading labor for parts/cars.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

7. Hay Bruce. Glad to here your doing well. I wish I had a good answer to your question. We are about the same age. But there is only two ways that I know of. First one, is build it from junkyard parts it takes a lot more time, but not as much money.;) The other one is to buy a finished wagon. It's the fastest, but not the cheapest.:rolleyes: My suggestion is what Squirrel and the others have said. But I might just add. You may want to look for an wagon, thats not a Chevy or Ford, { they're usally more money} and one that needs a little work, but not a total rebuild. They're still out there, I'll keep looking for you too. But keep on posting. You don't need a HAMB friendy wagon, to post on here. We'er all here to help each other. Bruce you have a great New Year too. Just Keep it FUN....Thanks:) Ron....

8. 5WINDOW good idea. I just started a part time job.{3 months ago}The auto parts store I have been dealing with for the past 15 years asked me to come and drive for them part time, and i have. GREAT job.Next week though I have to have surgery to take out a screw that had come loose from my total ankle replacement on the bottom of my foot from 8 years ago , but I don't think it will keep me out of work too long. Thanks. Bruce. 002.JPG

9. I wish you all the luck in the world in your search Bruce. I am sure you will find something that will fit the bill. I also have to work the car on a budget, and $ does not go as far as it used too. Hope all goes well with your ankle, and keep posting. HAMB ALERT! Bruce needs a good wagon.;):)

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Prices higher on the right coast? Plenty of Hambers here to inspect these wagons. My pick would be the Falcon, daily driver that looks worthy of a cross country trip. Hamb relay, rent a trailer?...but yeah, makes more sense on a more valuable purchase.

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Best way is to be patient, keep watching the local ads, not be stuck on a particular make or model. When you see something you like at a good price follow up right away. You can often find deals 25% or more below what everyone else is asking IF you have cash. That is the other thing, you need to have a few hundred cash for a deposit and be able to pay the rest in a couple of days.

I like to look at the ads for entertainment but find I have to back off, I find too many irresistible deals. You will probably find a good deal in 2 or 3 weeks, almost certainly in 2 or 3 months. You never know what is going to come to your net.

chryslerfan55 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  12. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Congrats on 65...now you're on Medicare so $ saved there!
    Are you brand loyal? Since I've always loved Rambler, (I still have my first car...'66 American), I would consider this. Asking $11.5k...but it appears to be in really good shape just needing detailing under hood.
    It's not too far away(Staunton Illinois). Looks like they may finance?
    It depends on what you want, brand, year, etc.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

13. Looks like a nice car if it's still available, with the devastating fire in 2017 they lost a lot of cars including a 50 Ford coupe I was trying to purchase and then last year they were hit by a tornado and again suffer a huge loss.

They say they will rebuild. HRP

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  14. upspirate

upspirate

We've had better luck on FB Marketplace than CL lately. I go on it all the time and save the items that interest me.(but not going to buy at this time)
    It shows when it sells, but obviously not the actual price it sold for, but I can see what sells and the approx price
    I go on a lot during the day( too much) and am actually amazed at how much stuff is selling

15. scotts52

scotts52

Another way may be to run want ads. State what you're looking for and the price range. I've looked for parts that couldn't be found. Ran a couple want ads and ended up with several leads that got me what I was looking for.

I find it interesting that people often have stuff they're willing to sell but don't actually list it for sale.

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your willing to spend $30-40k on any new car, finding a nice wagon should not be a problem. There are a lot of classic car dealers who really do have nice cars available that Excellant drivers or restorations. They carry their own loans too. Doing a car is not for everyone.

17. I bought my OT 66 Catalina Conv from the FB marketplace & had an eye on a mid 60's AMC wagon less than 100 miles from me that was very clean, needing rf suspension work & a general clean up for $3K, but found a 64 Grand Prix In California that I liked better! You can join FB & NOT get involved with the drama. There are dozens of car groups that fit with Hamb Friendly cars. Some are general & others are very specific as to brand & years, including wagon groups!

Good Luck in your search Bruce!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

If one is able to go out and finance a new vehicle. Then one can afford an older vehicle.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  19. 5window

5window

Not sure about that. I've got lots of co-workers who get new cars with loans they really can only afford by skipping health care and retirement contributions.. Then, they get new cars every few years. I drive a car until it is toast,then buy the next one for cash. A bank might lend you money to finance a new car,but not an old car. If you default, they've still got something to sell.

20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ "If" is key.

czuch and Bruce Fischer like this.
  21. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

If I may throw another $0.02 in...just a few ideas.
    1) narrow it down to brand preferences/year models
    2) decide at what level car you want (basket case to trailer queen and everything that's in between).
    3) most cities have market place newspapers with a free ad. Under wanted to buy, worded not "collector looking for xxx" but maybe looking for xxx, station wagon is ok.
    Auto parts stores.
    One in good driveable shape may cost less in the end than pouring money in one that needs a lot.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

22. sunbeam

sunbeam

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  23. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

You do know how many sets of eyes you have right here, correct?
    Narrow your quest and put it out here. We all like to help other HAMB folk( ok.... MOST do) and I am willing to bet you will get some interesting vehicles coming your way.

24. trollst

trollst

Don't know your situation bruce, but I've always built my shit out of my pocket, takes years to accomplish my goals. THEN, two years ago, had a widowmaker, survived it and came away with a new attitude. I also have a part time gig, all used to go to extras, (retired), but now half goes to extras, half goes to me for my hobby. I could be dead tomorrow, no need to wait for stuff that may never come, do it now. Drag out a tape measure, most of us live till 80, so put your finger on 8 inches, put your other finger on 6 1/2 inches, see the distance left between the two, not much. There's lots behind the 6 1/2, but its all gone, go get your wagon, let something else go instead.
    LeRoy.

P.S., you look pretty good for an old fart.

25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

26. Bruce, being in about the same boat, on a retirement income, I've been putting some serious thought into building a working time machine. For me, that might be the only way I'd ever be able to achieve all my automotive dreams. I realize a time machine is an impossibility so I keep watching the want adds like a hawk. Something good is going to come your way, all in good time. Mitch.

27. scotts52

scotts52

I've been involved in real estate for many years. I believe things are going to take a downturn soon. That means vehicle prices are going to come down for awhile. Maybe not on the more sought out ones but certainly on the less popular ones and projects. We should start to see something in the next couple of years. I understand not wanting to wait but just saying if you have something particular that you want it might be more affordable and available soon.

28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

no wonder you fit in here - there is no absolute way to buy/sell a car - two people in the right place at the right time - willing to trade something that you have for something you want might help - I have had my eye on a very special to me ride but, not enough cash - could take out a personal signature loan but even low interest rate adds to expenses - have OT classic seller not interested in for trade - if I sell no guarantee the ride I want will be there - lottery no help - not easy

29. Thanks Rusty. I am not stuck on 1 certain wagon, I just want this one to be H.A.M.B. friendly. I will keep on searching. Thanks again Bruce.

chryslerfan55 likes this.