Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Visible v8 model kit

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ChevyIIman65, Jan 10, 2019.

1. I've seen the chassis kit. I sold one of the Renwall versions for decent money.

it's Packard-esque, just different enough to not raise any trademark issues.

The Revell version omits the electric motor and related parts.

Deuces likes this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I put one together and where it went I have no idea. It was given to me by my first landlord. She said none of her boy's wanted anything to do with it. It was one of the originals not like the new/newer ones (no idea if it's still made?)

How in the world can they buzz one that fast is beyond me seeings that the one I assembled had a crank shaft that needed to be assemble from several pieces.

@squirrel I had a 2 barrel 307 and it would turn 7000 as a "stand alone" engine while in park or neutral. ;)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Deuces likes this.
  3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I built one in the early 70s.

Deuces likes this.

4. Basement in AZ... damned ground to hard here

Deuces likes this.
  5. I got one for Christmas when I was around 6 or 7 years old. Got some help to put it together and got to see it run for a few minutes before it self-destructed. That's why I have a machine shop assemble my engines to this day!

zzford, Deuces and Saxman like this.
  6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I had one in the early 70's. I remember instructions had us use vegetable oil on the crank, made it too sticky to turn! The Old man had the idea to use 3M machine oil, so after I took it all apart and cleaned it, applied the 3M and it turned great. I wanted one of the visible chassis but never got it. Don't know what became of mine, when I moved out Mom gave my 1/25th models to one of my cousins, by then I was into real cars and had no use for plastic. Wish I had of kept it. Thought about getting my boys one, but at the time they were hard to find and expensive when you did, so I never bought another. Do they still make the V8 and the chassis? I've seen the Turbo 4, but not the V8....

7. ChevyIIman65

ChevyIIman65

Haha good one

Sent from my LG-LS777 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  8. ChevyIIman65

ChevyIIman65

289 studabaker

9. ChevyIIman65

ChevyIIman65

Just picked got my second one dropped off at work for me yesterday its the old version with the good stiff cam and the transmission it was complete already but i stripped it down and tore the block apart now i habe the block back together and im starting to epoxy it and reinforce with aluminum screen so maybe i can beat the 7,056 rpm mark the dude in the video hit i wanna hit 8 grand wish me luck and im not gonna keep mine clear im painting block red heads aluminum oil pan aluminum and gonna make a tunnel ram with 2 carbs my model also has a gear driven distributor and wires and fake plugs i have alot of work ahead of me but im already starting i spend maybe 4 hours yesterday and im on my 5th tonight

10. ChevyIIman65

ChevyIIman65

This is when it was delivered to me 20 bicks missing valve covers FB_IMG_1547138925226.jpeg

Deuces and squirrel like this.
  11. ChevyIIman65

ChevyIIman65

Sitting here now working already out of epoxy still planning on installing main an head studs and completely filling block and heads and need to drill block and crank for preassurized oiling system and installing valve guides and making aluminum pushrods and valve stems 20190112_002718.jpeg

catdad49 and Deuces like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

not quite...it's close, but there are differences. Most prominent...look at the center exhaust ports, there are two on the Visible V8, but only one on the Stude (and the Packard). But the general layout of the engine is very close to the Stude.

looks like you're having fun with it!

Deuces and ChevyIIman65 like this.
  13. ChevyIIman65

ChevyIIman65

Also here in the pic pushrods laying in bottom of oil pan a couple lifter guides were broke and 1 broke pushrod but all thats getting replaced so no biggie

14. Lepus

Lepus

I put one together about 7 years ago. I t ran for a few seconds, then the camshaft twisted in two.

Deuces and ChevyIIman65 like this.
  15. ChevyIIman65

ChevyIIman65

Okay schooled me on that i dont know much about studabakers but thankyou for correcting an teaching

16. ChevyIIman65

ChevyIIman65

They wont handle nothing bone stock i broke a crank in my first when i was 14 with a 2 speed dewalt drill in high gear

Deuces likes this.
  17. ChevyIIman65

ChevyIIman65

You gonna keep it an play with it or modify?

18. nvrenuff

nvrenuff
    from new jersey

Built one with my bother in the early 90s when we were young and had no idea, used vegetable oil and watched it thro all kinds pieces into the oil pan. We were laughing so hard. Have a new one I plan on hooking to my dremel with safety glasses on.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  19. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

I do believe it's a bit closer to the 232 Stude. Not perfect, but close.
    Marcus.

20. ChevyIIman65

ChevyIIman65

Im needing any extra parts if anyone dont need them or want them need one more carb an even if yours is blowed up i can still use some things like cams so i can exopy the lobes for more lift and duration

Deuces likes this.
  21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I thought it looked close to a mid 50s caddy.

Deuces likes this.
  22. Apenaut

Apenaut

The guys on the Studebaker Drivers Club forum have discussed the visible V-8 through the years. The opinion there that while it looks close the the Stude V-8, it's actually closer to the Packard V-8.
    If I remember correctly, the Renwal V-8 can be connected to the Visible frame/drivetrain with pieces included in the frame kit.

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  23. I got mine for Christmas when I was 11 years old. Dad and I put it together and it ran pretty good. I still have it and it sits in my son’s room. One more ingredient in my never ending automotive pursuits!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  24. ChevyIIman65

ChevyIIman65

It looks really good and clean

Deuces likes this.
  25. egads

egads

This is an interesting page--http://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/visible-engines.htm .Never knew they made so many.

catdad49 likes this.
  26. ChevyIIman65

ChevyIIman65

Painted my block red and oil pan aluminum i want her to look like a real engine an similar to a sbc 20190112_193914.jpeg 20190112_194339.jpeg

27. ChevyIIman65

ChevyIIman65

Oh wow didnt know those existed i have to get those 283s thankyou for that i will find em!

egads likes this.
  28. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

29. Deuces

Deuces

Yep, I gotz the 1/4 scale 426 HEMI..... Still in the box.... :rolleyes:

s55mercury66 likes this.