Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical fuel tank

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sdluck, Jan 10, 2019.

1. sdluck

sdluck

I have a 29 model A glass roadster,what are you guys using for fuel tanks? Anybody use speedway universal aluminum 910-76051 16 gallon.It has a quickchange.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  2. sdluck

sdluck

Nothing no Info,Okay a bump for the other crowd

3. I lot of the fellas put the tank under the deck lid. Let me give your speedway tank a look right quick.

saddle tanks are also popular on fender cars.

That looks doable if you are putting your tank under the deck lid. Just measure and make sure its gonna fit.

4. I found a junkyard tank that was taller than wider, and stood it up behind seat. Left lots of room in the trunk area. I think Tanks used to make one similar for mounting in same area.

5. Lots of guys use a tank from a pickup truck. One of the old in cab setups. Of you get everything from the pickup you can dump your filler right out through the top of the quarter.

Something that no one does anymore but was popular about 10 years ago was a boat tank. I always keep a couple lying around for emergencies. More than one old heap has left my driveway with a boat tank in the truck to make it home on.

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was just over at a buddies house, he is putting a tank behind the seat in his A. I came up with an easy to fab firewall/seatback idea to separate the passenger compartment from the fuel tank, just in case. Most people don't worry about it seems but as quickly as fiberglass burns, skin burns faster. And make sure you vent the tank to the atmosphere and not inside the trunk.

He used a tanks Inc. universal tank like this and is shaping a new filler neck to make it more convenient.
    upload_2019-1-11_9-34-57.png

7. I am using one of these in my Crosley, and yes a firewall is a must behind the teat or in the trunk or even under the truck a metal wall between you and the bomb is a damned good idea.
    [​IMG]

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I'm glad you brought up the point of a firewall. For craps and giggles, what is good to use for a firewall? People use plywood, aluminum sheets, and sheet metal.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I used the Speedway 16 Gal tank part number 91076051-399.00 in the trunk of my roadster and had a shop make a closed battery box to match my bomber seats and mounted it beside the tank. Put a 10 gauge firewall between it and the passenger compartment. Worked out very good.

10. sdluck

sdluck

Thank you all,I was using a TCI plastic tank for a model A in the trunk and liked it,but I don't see it available any more and mine may not be usable.I am looking at the tank krylon32 talked about.I bought it back in 1998.

11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

12. nugget32

nugget32

Used a Tanks universal vertical model in the trunk of my duece 3 window tucked up to a divider between the interior and the trunk area.

Sent from my Chromebook 11 Model 3180 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. I'm using a 17 gallon aluminum RCI #2171A.
    It's wide & thin enough to fit behind the back seat of my '28 Tudor sedan.

It would probably fit nicely right behind your roadster's seat.:)

20180329_202443-1-1.jpg 20180324_120101_HDR-1.jpg 20180530_130003-1.jpg

lothiandon1940 and fiftyv8 like this.
  14. X-cpe

X-cpe

Triumph Spitfire, about 12 gallons. Easy fit behind the seat, center fill with pop-up gas cap.

15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Buddy got a good deal on a 17 gal., I got a 12 gal. on wepay…
    I don't recommend a round tank as they run out of gas QUICK...
    I put 2 outlets in the side of my 12 gal. rectangular tank...
    1 is 1" from the bottom... other is 2" from bottom...
    With a pair of inline ball valves, I can switch which is open or closed and that creates a 1 gallon reserve.
    with all the guys using F1 truck parts there should be a bunch of the behind the seat F1 tanks around... ran 1 in a '28 coupe many years ago...